Mid-centric closed headphones?
Feb 23, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #16 of 27
Nope. What's it like? Is it on the drier side?

Very dry, very tight, leans somewhat towards the cold, but they aren't clash-trash (bright, but they're clear as a bell). Good staging too. Not sure they're explicitly "mid centric" to your taste, but given what you've described, I'd still suggest trying them out (ahead of the four I previously suggested, given that you said you like a dry presentation). Oh, and they're open. :xf_eek:

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #17 of 27
Sounds like it might be my cup of tea. I can certainly deal with an open headphone, I was just thinking I might like a closed headphone for the rare instance I leave my house.
tongue.gif

Now, to see if anyone would want to trade a pair of K501s for them. Doubt it, since trades haven't been hot on head-fi lately, and these headphones haven't drummed up the sort of demand I thought they would.
redface.gif

But thanks for all the input, all, I think I have enough ideas for potential headphones.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #18 of 27
I find my Sony MDR 1R to be somewhat mid-centric headphones.My opinion is that they have a slightly colored sound because of their mid range. It's not that strong,but they sound more colored compared to shure srh840,AKG K550,AKG K271,KRK KNS 6400,Senneheiser hd600 etc. (these are some of the headphones I consider close to flat/neutral).

When listening to low volumes I like the 1R quite a bit,but when listening louder,sometimes I thing that the mids are a bit strong,causing me fatigue.

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
I find my Sony MDR 1R to be somewhat mid-centric headphones.My opinion is that they have a slightly colored sound because of their mid range. It's not that strong,but they sound more colored compared to shure srh840,AKG K550,AKG K271,KRK KNS 6400,Senneheiser hd600 etc. (these are some of the headphones I consider close to flat/neutral).

When listening to low volumes I like the 1R quite a bit,but when listening louder,sometimes I thing that the mids are a bit strong,causing me fatigue.

Totally agree with your with your statement but the reason I would not recommend the 1R to OP, is because it lacks details in comparison to AKG K550.

as for AKG Tiesto vs K550, not a fair comparison. Although there are both great in mids but both ends of the FR, soundstage, details etc, are different world. For example, the K550 bass extend further down than Tiesto and it produces less hisses, tighter but at the same time to me, lighter. Just my 2cents :) 

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #20 of 27
I still want to pick up the Sony CD900ST. My budget has been too small lately for a headphone and amp so I grabbed an Ultrasone Pro 750 for all around use and it sounds good even out of my phone for all of my metal/alternative and industrial type music. It's more engaging but less smooth than my previous Beyer DT880. However, interestingly it does sound overly bright to the point of being a bit harsh on the two Asian bands I currently have on my playlist; X-Japan (J-rock) and SHINee (K-pop). Out of my vintage receiver everything is a bit warmer and smoother though I haven't tried the above two listening from my receiver yet. But I don't think Ultrasone is good for Asian music, I expect the CD900ST to be much better, but I want to wait till I have the budget for a tube amp for them too.

I've Also heard good things about the mids from the CharterOak SP-1/GMP pro 450.

Joshua

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #21 of 27
I still want to pick up the Sony CD900ST. My budget has been too small lately for a headphone and amp so I grabbed an Ultrasone Pro 750 for all around use and it sounds good even out of my phone for all of my metal/alternative and industrial type music. It's more engaging but less smooth than my previous Beyer DT880. However, interestingly it does sound overly bright to the point of being a bit harsh on the two Asian bands I currently have on my playlist; X-Japan (J-rock) and SHINee (K-pop). Out of my vintage receiver everything is a bit warmer and smoother though I haven't tried the above two listening from my receiver yet. But I don't think Ultrasone is good for Asian music, I expect the CD900ST to be much better, but I want to wait till I have the budget for a tube amp for them too.

I've Also heard good things about the mids from the CharterOak SP-1/GMP pro 450.

Joshua

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #22 of 27
Everybody has different definition of "mid centric" but for me the Beyerdynamic DT150 would be the one amongst those I heard. Need a powerful amp to shine though. That said, I also have the 900ST and I don't feel the DT150 is necessarily superior. Thicker, more textured midrange, yes, but the DT150 holds its own in other grounds.

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Joshua

The Pro 750 is a great headphone. I owned it for a while, but I ended up getting rid of it because the lower mids were too dropped out, and the upper mids were too shouty. Still, they were all sorts of awesome for movies, and a good portion of rock music sounded really nice on them. Also, considering the amount of bass, I found it to be incredibly clean and detailed, much more than the DT770 Pros I had, or the Denon D2000's my friend had.

The CD900STs are definitely a several steps up when it comes to the mids though. They are never, ever, ever harsh, yet never withdrawn sounding, and never overly thick. It really is the most even and realistic mid range I've ever heard, and I don't think I'll ever find anything that competes with them in that regard. Though, as much as I loved them, they weren't all that comfortable for extended listening, and that's why I'm finding myself wanting something completely new.

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #25 of 27
Oh, thought of another headphone. Does anyone know is Sennheiser made any sizable improvements with the mids on the HD25's with the Amperiors?

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:
Very dry, very tight, leans somewhat towards the cold, but they aren't clash-trash (bright, but they're clear as a bell). Good staging too. Not sure they're explicitly "mid centric" to your taste, but given what you've described, I'd still suggest trying them out (ahead of the four I previously suggested, given that you said you like a dry presentation). Oh, and they're open.
redface.gif

So... not very mid-centric and not closed then...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back