MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Jul 14, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #2,581 of 2,609
I have an early one, serial #0002. I was perfectly happy with it, but it stopped working at some point... I believe it was due to tube rolling. The original sits on a flimsy base, and inserting, them removing the tubes causes a connection to break. Since I had to send it out for repair anyway, I opted to send it to Ben, spring for upgrades (many internal, massive external power supply), and I have to say it sounds amazing. Obviously, I didn't have the original version to compare it to, which is consider a more accurate of judging (but, hey, in life we don't always get optimal-many times I've had to compare components in one dealer's showroom to different ones in another dealers, with different ancillary equipment. Such is life).
So, my take would be: the power supply upgrades are not essential but worthwhile. The original is probably fine if you place it securely and don't mess with tube rolling. If you do want to experiment, you're better off with a newer version of it.
Wow, serial #0002 was David B's original production/prototype. Very nice that you now have it. I read the article when serial #0002 was reviewed. I also appreciate the info on the power supply. My plan is go visit LTA this weekend and listen again to the MZ2 very carefully, with my DAC and my headphones, which I'll bring along. As mentioned, I can pick up a used one and likely purchase the LPS+ separately and still be below the price of a new one. The alternative is to buy a newer one and as you mentioned, and have more durability with tube rolling. Honestly, I'm wondering if just getting some different 12AT7's and leaving the stock 6sn7's could be a simple option. Nonetheless, thank you again for chiming in.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #2,582 of 2,609
Since I got it repaired and the Ben modifications, I stopped tube rolling (and it sounds great as is)

Jul 14, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #2,583 of 2,609
Since I got it repaired and the Ben modifications, I stopped tube rolling (and it sounds great as is)
What tubes did you settle on? Anyone else, feel free to suggest 12at7 and 6sn7 tubes you like!

Also, what mods specifically did you have done? Filtering, signal caps?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #2,584 of 2,609
Basically, it improved the shielding, the wiring, attached an umbilicus for the power supply.
I copied an old post by @doctorblue in New Mexico with the basics.

The upgrades head Mojo Benjamin Zwickel has done and will show you on this thread include:
Ultralow-noise linear power supply upgrades, DC power cable upgrades, lower noise grounding schemas, headphone or preamp optimizing, single input modification, multiple output modifications, anti-resonant treatments, high-performance fuse replacements, upgraded wiring, upgraded connectors, upgraded attenuators, upgrade capacitors, 4-pin XLR “balanced” headphone output, 3-pin XLR “balanced” input, and more to come.

I didn't change to connector to balanced (had to cut costs somewhere), but did the others, and have a very powerful Mojo external power supply (hernia inducing weight).

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #2,585 of 2,609
Interesting to hear, have you compared the Farad LPS to the LTA LPS+ at all? Would be interested to hear about it.

Do you mean that you mean to upgrade the LPS to an LTA one, or that you'll upgrade to a higher level LTA product in general?
I have what I assume is a better LPS than the LTA solution, an Uptone Audio JS-2. The Farad only loses out to the JS-2 because its peak output is 3A, the JS-2
supports 4A with 6A transient burst. The amperage difference mattered only when I routinely turned volume knob past 1 o'clock (speaker amplifier) otherwise
the two were very similar.
Bought Orchard Audio GaN mono blocks about 90 days ago, been swapping back and forth between the MZ2 and a Schiit SYS passive pre, its very clear that the MZ2 has
shortfalls at the frequency extremes. So motivation to buy better in an LTA pre solution.

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #2,586 of 2,609
I have what I assume is a better LPS than the LTA solution, an Uptone Audio JS-2. The Farad only loses out to the JS-2 because its peak output is 3A, the JS-2
supports 4A with 6A transient burst. The amperage difference mattered only when I routinely turned volume knob past 1 o'clock (speaker amplifier) otherwise
the two were very similar.
Bought Orchard Audio GaN mono blocks about 90 days ago, been swapping back and forth between the MZ2 and a Schiit SYS passive pre, its very clear that the MZ2 has
shortfalls at the frequency extremes. So motivation to buy better in an LTA pre solution.
Interesting.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer so I was thinking about getting the MZ2 with the smps for a start and then trying an LPS from someone other than LTA with the view that I can always sell up and get the LPS+ later to try that, or not.

I was thinking about the Farad or i'd also thought about trying the Plixir BDC 4A, too.

This is a hobby after all and I like just trying stuff out! Some stuff works well, others don't, all part of the fun!

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #2,587 of 2,609
Interesting.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer so I was thinking about getting the MZ2 with the smps for a start and then trying an LPS from someone other than LTA with the view that I can always sell up and get the LPS+ later to try that, or not.

I was thinking about the Farad or i'd also thought about trying the Plixir BDC 4A, too.

This is a hobby after all and I like just trying stuff out! Some stuff works well, others don't, all part of the fun!
The stock SMPS does fine if you don’t push volume past 10 o’clock. Past that it strains vs using an LPS

Jul 30, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #2,590 of 2,609
Ok, decided to start reading this thread from the beginning, in the hopes of learning differences between the early MZ2 (red neutrik jack, red screws on top, switching power supply, no jumpers for 12sn7/6sn7, and two inputs on back) vs. current version. I’ve also emailed LTA and hope to hear back.

@saidentary , @jamato8 , @doctorjazz , @drbluenewmexico … You all contributed quite a good amount of info, early in this thread, on your respective MZ2 units with the original specs I’ve mentioned above. I have an opportunity to buy one (two digit serial number) like yours.

Today, all these years later, do you have any thoughts, regrets, or anything to pass along? I’m quite certain I’d be happy and have heard the MZ2 (current version) a couple of times at the LTA shop.

I did read several people stating the stock switching power supply was very good and upgrading to the LPS was a marginal improvement with a significant price tag. How about the sound of the amp? Any changes in sound signature over the years?
I had the original switching power supply for about five years and finally upgraded the power supply to the LPS. I was in the process of upgrading power supplies to my Project CD Box S CD player and the Arcam irDAC also, so I decided to upgrade the power supply of the MicroZOTL 2 (serial number 0007) as well. I mostly upgraded power supplies because I didn't like the looks of the wall wart that came standard with the Project CD player. I didn't really do critical comparative listening before and after changing all the power supplies.

Anyway, the switching power supply had always sounded great to me. If you look back through the thread, which you have, you'll notice that I was very very late to get onto the power supply upgrade bandwagon. I do suspect that it sounds better. I have a vague, gestalt sense that perhaps the bass is probably more solid after changing the power supply. But I'm not sure what the result would be of a retrospective A-B comparison between the LPS and switching power supply if I were to do it now. Also, I'm not particularly eager to test it. I was, and still am, very satisfied.

I would say this: I wouldn't let the switching power supply be a deterrent to purchasing this fabulous amplifier. I can't quantify the sonic improvement (if any) with the LPS upgrade (and, in my case, the other power supply upgrades). However, as others have pointed out, the LPS is not a necessity; it's probably better, but I can't say by how much.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #2,592 of 2,609
I broke down and got the LPS+ for my MZ2. Though the differences between it and the SPS are subtle, they cumulatively add up to a noticeable and meaningful improvement to the amp's performance. Right off the bat I noticed the bass was tighter and more nuanced. Not sure if it hits harder, but definitely resolves fine textural details better. My ears keep thinking it's also hitting harder, but I think it's just an impression I'm getting from the better quality, vs quantity. With the SPS some bass notes would be ever so slightly soft and bloomy, whereas with the LPS the transient strike is tighter and more solid, if that makes sense. Not a huge difference, but with good bass test tracks easily noticeable. Realistically though when just casually listening to music the difference isn't going to change the overall experience significantly.

Surprisingly the treble seems smoother, though not lacking in detail. If anything, it seems more resolving overall by a small degree. Not sure on this one, the differences are subtle. But I find myself turning up the volume a bit more with the LPS vs the SPS without fatigue. I'm very treble sensitive so this was a big surprise which I'm excited about.

Finally, the stage seems bigger, but this might be placebo. I'm bad at discerning soundstage, but I keep thinking the stage seems more separated and precise. I can't really put my finger on how, but my brain keeps telling me the soundstage sounds different, in a good way.

All in all very happy with my purchase. And to echo what saidentary said above, the MZ2 is a killer amp even with the SPS. The LPS does add some performance, but is NOT necessary to get a killer sounding amp. It's for those who obsess over that last 1-2% of available performance. Do I recommend the LPS? If you have the cash then definitely. But if budget is a concern, go with the SPS and enjoy, you won't be disappointed!

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #2,593 of 2,609
I broke down and got the LPS+ for my MZ2. Though the differences between it and the SPS are subtle, they cumulatively add up to a noticeable and meaningful improvement to the amp's performance. Right off the bat I noticed the bass was tighter and more nuanced. Not sure if it hits harder, but definitely resolves fine textural details better. My ears keep thinking it's also hitting harder, but I think it's just an impression I'm getting from the better quality, vs quantity. With the SPS some bass notes would be ever so slightly soft and bloomy, whereas with the LPS the transient strike is tighter and more solid, if that makes sense. Not a huge difference, but with good bass test tracks easily noticeable. Realistically though when just casually listening to music the difference isn't going to change the overall experience significantly.

Surprisingly the treble seems smoother, though not lacking in detail. If anything, it seems more resolving overall by a small degree. Not sure on this one, the differences are subtle. But I find myself turning up the volume a bit more with the LPS vs the SPS without fatigue. I'm very treble sensitive so this was a big surprise which I'm excited about.

Finally, the stage seems bigger, but this might be placebo. I'm bad at discerning soundstage, but I keep thinking the stage seems more separated and precise. I can't really put my finger on how, but my brain keeps telling me the soundstage sounds different, in a good way.

All in all very happy with my purchase. And to echo what saidentary said above, the MZ2 is a killer amp even with the SPS. The LPS does add some performance, but is NOT necessary to get a killer sounding amp. It's for those who obsess over that last 1-2% of available performance. Do I recommend the LPS? If you have the cash then definitely. But if budget is a concern, go with the SPS and enjoy, you won't be disappointed!
That all makes sense! The LPS should add a more steady and instantaneous supply of power. Transients and quick changes from pianissimo to fortissimo would thus be readily handled. This also helps the recovery of lower level detail such as cues relating to ambience and surroundings.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #2,594 of 2,609
My apologies if this has been asked and answered earlier but which tube has the greater effect on sound quality? I've accumulated a lot of tubes over the years and might start rolling some tubes (though there's nothing wrong with the stock tubes - Gold Lion 12AT7s and old stock RCA 12SN7s) just to see what different tubes sound like.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back