MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Sep 18, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #346 of 2,609

I'll concede (somewhat grudgingly) at the outset that this is just my personal opinion, but I'll also say I hold this opinion VERY strongly and with great certainty: 
Make no mistake:  The MicroZOTL 2 is more than just a "very good" headphone amplifier.  It is a spectacular sonic achievement, and is an end game amplifier.  It's all the more extraordinary given its relatively "low" price (at least relatively low compared to many of the insanely exorbitant price points so frustratingly pervasive in high end audio these days.............). 

i will buy one in exactly 11 months and i will report to all and to you... thanks for your passion
atsmile.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #347 of 2,609

i will buy one in exactly 11 months and i will report to all and to you... thanks for your passion
atsmile.gif

Prediction #1: You'll love it. 

Prediction #2: You'll be relieved that what (almost all of the) people have been saying about it is really true, and
                     not exaggerated.

Prediction #3: Then you'll love it even more.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #348 of 2,609
Listening with the Pioneer Master 1 and the sound is excellent. Double bass on jazz has such power and yet controlled. Great stuff! 

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #349 of 2,609
^^ god I may be a +1 here with what's been said to purchase the micro-Z in less then a year. :)
My main amp is the Burson soloist, so I think with the Bering topology that is described would make it worth it for me because this is a very different sounding amp IMO than the soloist.
Also, I feel there is no doubt that the micro Z can power a pair of HD 800's with no problems. Probably a good mix too since impressions here say that the micro Z is quite warm sounding.

Oh the excitement! I hope to try this amp very soon, but I still kind up have my heart set on a WA7 firefly +extra PSU.

decisions decisions....

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #350 of 2,609
i know that you are right....what can I  buy for less than the price of the Zotl  that will be so good that the reviewers of the product lost all precaution and only their passion speaks ? ....Only Stax addict are like that and the stax products has mythical Aura with a reason....And for sure some amp is better but... What will be his price? 3x time more? or more...I have no doubt that in eleven month i will thank you another time ...
smile.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #351 of 2,609
^^ god I may be a +1 here with what's been said to purchase the micro-Z in less then a year.
smily_headphones1.gif

My main amp is the Burson soloist, so I think with the Bering topology that is described would make it worth it for me because this is a very different sounding amp IMO than the soloist.
Also, I feel there is no doubt that the micro Z can power a pair of HD 800's with no problems. Probably a good mix too since impressions here say that the micro Z is quite warm sounding.

Oh the excitement! I hope to try this amp very soon, but I still kind up have my heart set on a WA7 firefly +extra PSU.

decisions decisions....

For the MicroZOTL 2, I'd say more SMOOTH than warm.  And still amazingly detailed, and with great bass.

Both are great companies (Woo Audio and Urban HiFi) and you probably wouldn't go wrong with either amp. I haven't heard any of the Woo amplifiers but I suspect they're great also.  Obviously the best option would be to listen to both amps (with your own music) before deciding.

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #352 of 2,609
Woo is coming to the November NY area meet; hoping to go and bring my ZOTL, maybe get a chance to compare them.
And, I wouldn't describe the ZOTL as warm in the usual tube amp sense. It's more open, detailed, clear, with a layer of electronic haze you didn't know was there removed.

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #353 of 2,609
I have an original micro-ZOTL headphone amp.... and an ZH270. I will have to put one of these is the acquisition radar. Huge fan of David's designs!

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #354 of 2,609
do you have experience with other amp to compare with? how do you evaluate the performance of the zotl versus other amp ? 
popcorn.gif

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #355 of 2,609
Drbluenewmexico has both the original MicroZOTL and the ZOTL2, he loved the original (and was the guy who lobbied to get the ZOTL2 produced), he feels the 2 is a major improvement. I'm really curious nite about the non-Micro (?Macro :smiley: ) ZOTL amps and preamps from Berning. Obviously, you like your ZOTL amp.

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #356 of 2,609
^^ god I may be a +1 here with what's been said to purchase the micro-Z in less then a year. :)

decisions decisions....

Burson has a new V5 discrete opamp coming out. For $70, you may want to try it. Email Alex.

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #357 of 2,609
I love time traveling and putting good source in front of the original micro-ZOTL and use the Grado HP-2. I have a pair of HP-2's that papa Joe reworked back in 07' (NOS drivers and upgraded wire). I like a host of great music and count Opera in the scheme. The Berning and Grado combine to offer more than a glimpse of the stage work.

I have fine amps that examine every pit on a compact disc, the Berning soaks into those pits and filters residual DNA left from the prints of the original players. I'm amazed at times the timbered tonality the Berning can muster, runs the gamut from instruments to ambiance. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #358 of 2,609

@richard51.... "It's not that experience is the best teacher.... it's the only teacher". You have to ask yourself the relevant questions, from the type of music that is important to you, reaching all the way to just how much disposable income you'll dispose on the hobby. You have to educate yourself into circuit type, design and implementation. If your young and listen to Rap & Hip-Hop? Gear (other than Beats) wouldn't make a difference. 

The single most important component? Synergy! The combining of attributes of two (or more) components to rise above their station and give a fluent portrayal. This hobby is a trap for the impulsive and those who lack focus. You'll spread money like jam and find the last move? Was either a sideways move or you took a step back.

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #359 of 2,609
Burson has a new V5 discrete opamp coming out. For $70, you may want to try it. Email Alex.

Why thank you audio addict. :)
However, I'm not a huge OPAMP lover for heavy concentration headphone listening sessions. I prefer more discret signal chains like what is usually found in CLASS A circuitry amp layouts. OPAMPS are fine for home audio receivers and portable amp/DACS but not for a serious desktop amp paired with analytical gear. However, I am aware of this Burson Super op, and it surpasses typical I C OPAMPS to a fair degree. The Burson I have uses FET transistor output and to my ears this thing sounds great. It's analytical as hell, but if you get a good recording it really sings with zero noise floor.
I would think the MICRO Z places itself in the same category? I can only wonder at this point. Anyhow, thank you for your suggestion. :)

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #360 of 2,609
Drbluenewmexico has both the original MicroZOTL and the ZOTL2, he loved the original (and was the guy who lobbied to get the ZOTL2 produced), he feels the 2 is a major improvement. I'm really curious nite about the non-Micro (?Macro :smiley: ) ZOTL amps and preamps from Berning. Obviously, you like your ZOTL amp.

I was another bothering David and Alan concerning a new headphone amp from David. It was only a few separate occasions and I didn't want to seem all that pesky
rolleyes.gif
. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" was an old adage my Grandmother used to spout..... it works! I have another amp from David that was in the little "Knight" chassis. That amp was like David's kitchen table amp (he's made just a few). It's a whole 7 WPC, that little guy can really trumpet my home brew horns
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back