MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Sep 6, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #316 of 2,609
I think they ought to classify the Microzotl2 as "audio heroin". You sit down at a trade show with Audeze headphones demoing the amp, expecting
to have to listen through the usual love/hate analysis of yet another tube headphone amp and instead you are blown away with effortless, full dynamics,
complete lack of distortion and the only thing left on your mind is how soon after you buy this can you afford to buy an Audeze LCD headphone or a Hifiman HE-1000.
Clearly Berning is reintroducing this as a gateway drug to get you to buy their main system pre and amp solutions. Even as a pre amp, this kit excels, matches
Magnepan 1.7's for speed and clarity.

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #317 of 2,609
The micro works extremely well with Blues. Well it works fantastic with all music but it just opens up the sound on blues to give you that tug and pull to the emotions that is what music is all about, . .  when done right. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #318 of 2,609
i read all your post like theology
atsmile.gif
i dream to buy the microzotl but by now i want to try the Kennerton Odin with it...in a year to come... thanks for your passion
popcorn.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #319 of 2,609
At this rate I feel I will be ending up with a MZ2 for my HE1000 as well....

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #320 of 2,609
i had read all that are to read on the net about David Berning and the Zotl.... Its new topology and implementation, completely new, and for my understanding "tube sound with ss clarity" that speak volume....for 1000 dollars or around that what amplifier is totally new topology with this quality ? With the capacity to drive anything included the infamous He 6  ? Berning is a physicist in amp design for 50 years, my little finger said to me that he was not the best marketing guy in the world nor the Gucci of the Amp business, but perhaps the Einstein of the audio for a little price to pay.... I will verify that in one year to come....I want the least costly amp in the world with the best sound in the world, where there is a contender and candidate ? all rivals cost in above 5 or 7  thousands dollars... If you know one in the same price bracket , please say it to me .... best regard
smile.gif
s to all of you

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #321 of 2,609
  i had read all that are to read on the net about David Berning and the Zotl.... Its new topology and implementation, completely new, and for my understanding "tube sound with ss clarity" that speak volume....for 1000 dollars or around that what amplifier is totally new topology with this quality ? With the capacity to drive anything included the infamous He 6  ? Berning is a physicist in amp design for 50 years, my little finger said to me that he was not the best marketing guy in the world nor the Gucci of the Amp business, but perhaps the Einstein of the audio for a little price to pay.... I will verify that in one year to come....I want the least costly amp in the world with the best sound in the world, where there is a contender and candidate ? all rivals cost in above 5 or 7  thousands dollars... If you know one in the same price bracket , please say it to me .... best regard
smile.gif
s to all of you

The MZ2 truly is a fantastic amp but it doesn't ​have enough power to drive the HE-6 properly. You need about 5 watts per channel for the HE-6. When I had HE-6's, I used them on 2 integrated tube amps with 3 watts and 8 watts, and with the Schiit Gungnir which is 5-8 watts. If I had the volume control at 9 o'clock for the LCD-3, I would have to turn it to 12 o'clock to get the same level with the HE-6.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #322 of 2,609
OK, DrJazz and Blue being a cautious adapter, I am going to take the MZ2 plunge. Going to sell my Uber Bifrost, the Monarchy is that good, and pick up one of these beauties when I get back from Ukraine. Would love to see more feedback on how it matches up with the HD800.

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #323 of 2,609

The MZ2 truly is a fantastic amp but it doesn't ​have enough power to drive the HE-6 properly. You need about 5 watts per channel for the HE-6. When I had HE-6's, I used them on 2 integrated tube amps with 3 watts and 8 watts, and with the Schiit Gungnir which is 5-8 watts. If I had the volume control at 9 o'clock for the LCD-3, I would have to turn it to 12 o'clock to get the same level with the HE-6.

ok.. do youhave try it with the he 6 ? with the speakers out of the Zotl?

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #324 of 2,609
From what I know, the speaker output isn't any more powerful, hats allows you to use it as a preamp or for very efficient speakers.

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #325 of 2,609
thanks... i must think to another choice of headphone for the microztl than the he 6 i think...Perhaps  the Odin...
atsmile.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #326 of 2,609
OK, DrJazz and Blue being a cautious adapter, I am going to take the MZ2 plunge. Going to sell my Uber Bifrost, the Monarchy is that good, and pick up one of these beauties when I get back from Ukraine. Would love to see more feedback on how it matches up with the HD800.

Well, I can't say for sure about the HD-800.  My PREDICTION is that it (the MicroZOTL 2) will sound fantastic with the HD-800, based on the characteristics of that amp.  It.....just....ROCKS!!  (and sings too).  It'll be fun to hear your impressions after you've had a chance to listen. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #327 of 2,609
  ok.. do youhave try it with the he 6 ? with the speakers out of the Zotl?​

doctorjazz is correct. The power output from the pcb goes to the headphone jack and back to the speaker outs, so you get the same power on both of them. The maximum output power of the Zotl is about 1 watt, so there is no way it can adequately drive the HE-6. It would 'play' it, but not 'drive' it, if you know what I mean. I sold my HE-6 because it was uncomfortable for me to wear since it's so heavy, but I did like the sound when driven with enough power. My Sennheiser HD-800 with a Charleston Cable Co. OCC cable is awesome on the Zotl and is very comfortable. Also the Zotl is nice with my AudioQuest NightHawk and my pre-Fazor LCD-3 and Oppo PM2 with Norne Audio cables. In other words, the Zotl will 'drive' pretty much any normal or higher efficiency phones.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #328 of 2,609

My Sennheiser HD-800 with a Charleston Cable Co. OCC cable is awesome on the Zotl and is very comfortable. Also the Zotl is nice with my AudioQuest NightHawk and my pre-Fazor LCD-3 and Oppo PM2 with Norne Audio cables. In other words, the Zotl will 'drive' pretty much any normal or higher efficiency phones.

DUDE!!!!  An impressive range of choices with your MicroZOTL 2!
smile_phones.gif
  It will be interesting to see if Wildcatsar1 has the same highly favorable impression with his HD-800/MZ-2 pairing.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #329 of 2,609

Well, I can't say for sure about the HD-800.  My PREDICTION is that it (the MicroZOTL 2) will sound fantastic with the HD-800, based on the characteristics of that amp.  It.....just....ROCKS!!  (and sings too).  It'll be fun to hear your impressions after you've had a chance to listen. 

Yes, the HD-800 is fantastic on the Zotl. However, I am using a Charleston Cable Co. OCC cable, not the stock cable. The stock cable, to my ears, does make the HD-800 sound brighter on the highs and weaker in the bass. I hate to say that you need a high quality copper cable to bring out the best in the HD-800, but that was my experience. I sold the stock cable soon after receiving the HD-800. There's nothing magical about the Charleston cable, as several other companies have equal or better cables. I would recommend copper, not silver, as silver may tilt the balance back toward a brighter high end. This is my opinion and some people think all cables sound pretty much the same. All I can say is that, to me, comparing the stock cable to the Charleston cable there was a definite audible difference in the balance of the sound. The Charleston cable brought the highs down a little and firmed up the bass. The HD-800 is still somewhat forward sounding, but the amount of detail you hear and the separation of instruments can be quite startling at times.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #330 of 2,609
I have a Norne Audio Draug 2 on order, which I tried with Rumny's HD800's at one of the Nashville Meets and loved. Plus, I am going to attempt the mod from Innerfidelity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back