MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Sep 9, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #331 of 2,609
I haven't heard the combination, but I'd expect it to sound really nice...

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #332 of 2,609
The Pioneer Master 1 sound good on the micro. Instruments are very true to their sound. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #333 of 2,609
I am very interested in this amp, I am a dominant iem user, I have read till page 3 of the thread and I will read the rest soon, just like to ask iem user on their thought on this amp.

Regards

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #334 of 2,609
There's now a product review of this amplifier.  The link is here: MicroZOTL 2 product review.

I agree with most, but not all of what was said.   IMO, the 4 star rating is too low.  Also, I perceive no weakness with microdetail or with bass.  No.  I'll certainly agree that the case is flimsy.  I wasn't buying it for the case, however......

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #335 of 2,609
i have read the review.... i am curious to know what are the name of  these  high end amplifiers in the review :   "microdetail that much more expensive amps can provide is not there"

i think that its important to listen to a top high end headphone for the retrieval of these detail....and a top high end dac also...If not the microzotl cannot give his  top potential performance....
atsmile.gif
  the performance of any element in a chain system is dependent for the final result on one and each element...

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #336 of 2,609
I find the micro Zotl extremely detailed but not etched but detail retrieval on even tape noise that I do not normally hear. This is with the Pioneer SE Master 1 and the HE1000. The Hugo is the dac or the 901s via dock. Bass is also not lacking on my setup with it going to the lower registers with impact and a cleanness to the bass that keeps it transparent in a way I do not often hear. IMO

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #337 of 2,609
  I find the micro Zotl extremely detailed but not etched but detail retrieval on even tape noise that I do not normally hear. This is with the Pioneer SE Master 1 and the HE1000. The Hugo is the dac or the 901s via dock. Bass is also not lacking on my setup with it going to the lower registers with impact and a cleanness to the bass that keeps it transparent in a way I do not often hear. IMO

thanks for your short review....I had great interest in microzotl.... is the microzotl only a very good amp like many other very good amp in this price bracket or is the microzotl a little marvel for his price? that is the question ...And this reviewer said that the microzotl is a very good amp like many other .... then why buying it? that is the question i ask to myself after this review....i will wait some other review.... but the reviews i had read here in this thread  all said that the microzotl2 is for his price an extraordinary amp....
popcorn.gif

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #338 of 2,609
I also generally agree with most of the review, but I think the part about it not being as detailed as more expensive amps was a bit unfair. I'd want to know, which amps, what details. Is it possible that amps for $2,$3,$4K by Cavalli, Ray Samuels, ALO, and others have more detail? I haven't heard any of these yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do. How much, how does it compare to the ZOTL, how much more MUSICAL enjoyment does the higher priced spread give, those are questions that the statement begs for answers to. Some detailed comparisons, maybe, if you've actually done the comparisons, would be useful information. Sure, I can post a criticism of my beloved Pono that, "it is not as detailed as the $30,000 Light Harmonic Da Vinci DAC", but does that really tell you anything about how good the Pono is? The bigger question would be, "how MUCH extra do you get for the extra $29,700", "how much musical enjoyment does the Pono provide compared to the Da Vinci?". I think the writer just felt he had to put something into the "negative" column.

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #339 of 2,609
I also generally agree with most of the review, but I think the part about it not being as detailed as more expensive amps was a bit unfair. I'd want to know, which amps, what details. Is it possible that amps for $2,$3,$4K by Cavalli, Ray Samuels, ALO, and others have more detail? I haven't heard any of these yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do. How much, how does it compare to the ZOTL, how much more MUSICAL enjoyment does the higher priced spread give, those are questions that the statement begs for answers to. Some detailed comparisons, maybe, if you've actually done the comparisons, would be useful information. Sure, I can post a criticism of my beloved Pono that, "it is not as detailed as the $30,000 Light Harmonic Da Vinci DAC", but does that really tell you anything about how good the Pono is? The bigger question would be, "how MUCH extra do you get for the extra $29,700", "how much musical enjoyment does the Pono provide compared to the Da Vinci?". I think the writer just felt he had to put something into the "negative" column.

that is exactly what i think....thanks for your impression
smile.gif

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #340 of 2,609
And, what tubes are being used is always important. Tubes make a difference, as has often been noted. So what tubes? I am using the Tungsol VT99 round plate (I also like the grey glass square plate RCA) most of the time but have to admit that the stock tubes are no slouch and they chose well as they are better than most all other newly manufactured tubes of their type on the market. 

I have the 1952 Sylvania in 6SN7 NOS but I don't like them as well as some other tubes such as the Tungsol 6SN7 round plate, in this amp. The input tubes are very important as well. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #341 of 2,609
I just finished a long session with the MicroZOTL 2 and my vintage Denon AH-D700 (that's seven HUNDRED, not AH-D7000, which I also own).  Computer You Tube music videos >>> USB output >>>> Arcam irDAC >>> MicroZOTL 2 >>>> Vintage Denons.  Here's a picture of the Denons from a listing on ebay.  I recently got new Brainwavz angled pads for them.  (I think the new, angled pads boost the bass.)  They're efficient (~30 ohms) and sound decent (meh) out of the computer.  Different story with the DAC and MicroZOTL 2 in the chain.  Certainly not a critical listen but it was fun, because they sound quite good, bordering on excellent.   This shows that the MicroZOTL 2 can do great things with mid level headphones, and not just beasts like the HE-1000, etc.  Pretty cool. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #342 of 2,609
Right now my go to I'd the Pono line out into MicroZOTL into acs Encore customs. Open, detailed, non fatigueing, great combo (NO hiss, btw).

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #343 of 2,609
With the stock PS, I have never found the sound congested. I wonder if something else is going on. And the tubes do burn in nice, the stock ones. I am using the CV4024 and some VT99's, round plate but even with all stock tubes I could be happy. How many hours do you have on the micro? 

Sounds like maybe 'a power line' conditioner may be of benefit to allow 'clean' group loop free power to your gear. I did this and it made a significant difference; however swapping my initial AC power cord with a Pangea 9se made no significant difference that my ears could be aware of. :flushed:

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #344 of 2,609
I just finished a long session with the MicroZOTL 2 and my vintage Denon AH-D700 (that's seven HUNDRED, not AH-D7000, which I also own).  Computer You Tube music videos >>> USB output >>>> Arcam irDAC >>> MicroZOTL 2 >>>> Vintage Denons.  Here's a picture of the Denons from a listing on ebay.  I recently got new Brainwavz angled pads for them.  (I think the new, angled pads boost the bass.)  They're efficient (~30 ohms) and sound decent (meh) out of the computer.  Different story with the DAC and MicroZOTL 2 in the chain.  Certainly not a critical listen but it was fun, because they sound quite good, bordering on excellent.   This shows that the MicroZOTL 2 can do great things with mid level headphones, and not just beasts like the HE-1000, etc.  Pretty cool. 

Dear god you own a lot of headphones. I love it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Anyway, I think the way you feel about your Denon 700's and possibly your 7000's is how I feel about my Sony MDR Z7's. I like the fact that they aren't as revealing, which creates more forgiveness with a lot of other recordings as opposed to what the HD 800's offer. Anyhow, it's fun to have different listening experiences. I find it actually makes me appreciate my flagship gear even more. :)

Glad you had a nice time here. Set up sounds great and I'm glad the micro-Z can pair nicely with many of your headphones. Always a plus!!

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #345 of 2,609

thanks for your short review....I had great interest in microzotl.... is the microzotl only a very good amp like many other very good amp in this price bracket or is the microzotl a little marvel for his price? that is the question ...And this reviewer said that the microzotl is a very good amp like many other .... then why buying it? that is the question i ask to myself after this review....i will wait some other review.... but the reviews i had read here in this thread  all said that the microzotl2 is for his price an extraordinary amp....
popcorn.gif

I'll concede (somewhat grudgingly
wink_face.gif
) at the outset that this is just my personal opinion, but I'll also say that I hold this opinion VERY strongly and with great certainty: 
Make no mistake: The MicroZOTL 2 is more than just a "very good" headphone amplifier.  It is a spectacular sonic achievement, and is an end game amplifier.  It's all the more extraordinary given its relatively "low" price (at least relatively low compared to many of the insanely exorbitant prices so frustratingly pervasive in high end audio these days.............). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back