MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Aug 24, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #286 of 2,609
Or, you can buy it, and then feel after a few weeks you STILL need to upgrade...it's called Audiophilia Nervosa
biggrin.gif

Oh no not the dreaded "Audiophile Nervosa", rediscovered and rerevealed, a deja vu of the Quest for the Grail of sound...
if you think you have it, it sublimates and disappears into the hope of an upgrade at any price or form.....
the only cure is banishment to your transistor  radio.........with old apple buds......for a week, then your gear will sound
very very good again!!!.   

However that said, the supplied power supply to the Zotl2 is adequate for decent performance and in this configuration he Zotl
is quite an improvement to most peoples gear systems...with the Joule power supplies the Zotl becomes SUPERMAN, the soundstage
bigger and bolder, the tones able to fly over ordinary limitations, and the music totallly involving.  good vs GREAT....IMHO...of course.
I have the original MicroZotl with internal power supply and the new configuration is a significant upgrade over that also, although the
original remains  a wonderful and collectible audio friend......

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #287 of 2,609
I just heard the MicroZotl2 used as a preamp driving Maggie 1.7 planar speakers with upgraded crossovers and
stands, and the sound was TOTALLY LIQUID.....with deep bass and dead on tone. Blues floated from behind and in front of the speakers like an audio haunting by the actual musicians.....Stevie Ray Vaughn was born again...The source was
Mojo Audios new cat server and Mystique NOS DAC fueled with a Joule 5 power supply....
this combo is reference quality and will be on display at the Rocky Mountain Audio show this fall....in Denver.
The Zotl2 provided seamless gain to the custom tubed Crown amp driving the system....a total synergistic
WOW experience.  Head Mojo Benjamin Zweikel has been cooking up some amazing sound synchrony
using his gear and the MicroZotl2....congratulations Ben!!!!

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #288 of 2,609
Yep, the Mojo V and the Zotl micro are the ultimate for me. $2,000 but worth it as I don't think anything is better and much is not near as good. The micro with the stock supply is a no brainer in my opinion. David Berning has used the tubes in the best possible way with no down side. A genius. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #289 of 2,609
  Yep, the Mojo V and the Zotl micro are the ultimate for me. $2,000 but worth it as I don't think anything is better and much is not near as good. The micro with the stock supply is a no brainer in my opinion. David Berning has used the tubes in the best possible way with no down side. A genius. 

Coming from you (a member since 2004 with 14,718 posts on head-fi), this is a profoundly significant statement. You're not alone in your admiration of the genius of the MicroZOTL 2, either. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #291 of 2,609
I'd guess they're using the stock, they don't have their own upgrade. Could be wrong, though. Still using the stock, sounds mighty good, in the future may go for the upgrade.

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #292 of 2,609
Urban HIFI is at the Capital Audiofest this weekend. Does any I ne know if they are using a different power supply than the stock? It would seem a good place and time to introduce it.

They have one from Mojo and their stock. I assume Mark will bring the Mojo. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #293 of 2,609
Never mind...:grin:

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #294 of 2,609
I talked to Mark Schneider at Urban HiFi in July. One of the things we discussed were power supplies. I think he said he had talked to Mojo about their supply but I don't remember if he was getting one to try. I do remember that Mark said he was looking into coming out with his own linear power supply in the $300-$350 range. Maybe this is what he has at the Capital AudioFest? Anyway, he seemed pretty certain he would have his on upgraded power supply at some point.

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #295 of 2,609
Will be trying the HDPlex LPS I already own with a  newly acquired Mzotl next week... the latest HDPLex  allows you for $450 to power 5v, 5-9v, 12V and 19V DC
independently as long as total current draw is in spec, allows 5A vs the 2.5A  of the Mzotl2 stock power supply.

Curious about NOS tube recommendations, I have Amperex, Telefunken and Siemens 12AT7's to play with but no 6SN7 tubes. Anyone tried
a 6SN7 tube in the Mzotl2 that they liked better than stock tube? I've actually been pretty happy with the new generation Tungsol power tubes in main system
power amp but the new generation pre tubes don't match up to NOS

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #296 of 2,609
Interested in the HDPlex, have more than one component that could use LPS (my Geek Out Special Edition), buy the power needed is different for the different units, I believe. Uptown Audio makes the JS-2 LPS, 2 outputs that can be independently set for output voltage, costs $925, though. Curious what you think when the connect to the ZOTL.

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #297 of 2,609
I have the Raytheon 5692 RedBase 6SN7GTs and love them with the MicroZOTL2. Using Mullard M8162s for the 12AT7s.  The sound incredible running through the HE-1000 headphones as well as the Sennheiser HD800s.

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #298 of 2,609
@jmw2015

Would you mind describing your impressions of this amp driving the HD800 in some detail? At a recent North Carolina mini head-fi meet, I was very impressed almost everything about the HD800 except the likely fatiguing trebles. How do you like the HD800's trebles driven by the MICROZOTL2? What are they like in comparison with what you heard from other amps? 

Additionally, could you describe differences in both mids and trebles you heard between the HD800 and the HE1000?  

I am contemplating about purchase of the HD800 and an amp that may match it well. Thanks for your input in advance.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #299 of 2,609
Interested in the HDPlex, have more than one component that could use LPS (my Geek Out Special Edition), buy the power needed is different for the different units, I believe. Uptown Audio makes the JS-2 LPS, 2 outputs that can be independently set for output voltage, costs $925, though. Curious what you think when the connect to the ZOTL.

Plugged the Mzotl2 in this evening, gave it a brief listen with the stock power supply but just couldn't stand how congested it sounded. Swapped to the HDPlex, problem solved
so a better PSU purchase seems wise to plan on if you buy this.

Whats clearly evident is how fast the Mzotl is and how well it handles complex loud passages. I'll use the russian 12AT7's tonight but  tomorrow I plan to swap in some Mullard CV4024's as I doubt the
russian tubes are going to open up more for detail.
Love how it handled the large drums in the movie sound  "The Last Samurai - Ronin".  Trying this as a preamp also, very enjoyable feeding the HT input of Prima Luna integrated to Maggie 1.7's... a good match
between pre and speakers for quickness, better than the integrated pre section as a match.

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #300 of 2,609
Just got back from about a week of vacation, away from my HEK and ZOTL2, man these things (driven by PC/Regen/Geek Out Special Edition), sounds AMAZING!
May wind up upgrading power supply in the end, but getting amazing sound just as it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back