MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Apr 25, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,471 of 2,609

I'd be interested in seeing some quantitative measurements that lend credence to this.  The ceramic fuses aren't filled with sand for this reason, but to absorb heat.  So quite possibly, this theory could be yet another case of audiophilia gone awry...  or not.  It'd be interesting to know.  On the other hand, ceramic sand filled fuses aren't cost prohibitive to try out for the heck of it.  My local Radio Shack used to sell them.

Operation

Under normal operating conditions the current flowing through the fuse element does not provide enough energy to melt the element. The heat produced is absorbed by the surrounding silica sand.

If a large current flows the energy produced melts and vapourises the element.
hrc_breaking.jpg

The time taken to reach this point is known as the pre arcing time. The high prospective fault current is ‘cut off’ although an arc will still be formed. The heat produced by the arc causes the fuse element to fuse with the silica sand and for the silica sand to absorb the energy. This has the effect of extinguishing the arc and stopping further current flow. The time taken to reach this point is known as the total clearance time.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #1,472 of 2,609
Right. The sand affects what happens when you blow a fuse.

But back to the discussion of "microphonic" fuses, I've never seen measurements. So I don't know if this vibration-induced noise (assuming it actually exists) is present under normal operating conditions or only under strange corner conditions such as King Kong doing jumping jacks in your front yard. I tend to suspect the latter.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,473 of 2,609
Right. The sand affects what happens when you blow a fuse.

But back to the discussion of "microphonic" fuses, I've never seen measurements. So I don't know if this vibration-induced noise (assuming it actually exists) is present under normal operating conditions or only under strange corner conditions such as King Kong doing jumping jacks in your front yard. I tend to suspect the latter.

I wondered what the house shaking was about...

Apr 26, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,474 of 2,609
That was me jumping up and down :) I have ordered a microZOTL2 with LPS and the new matching ZMF headphones. I get the first production LTA limited ZMF Omni's. Mark had the first set they used to demo at a show in Chicago and offered it to me. I have about 20 tube guitar amps. An older Fender Tweed Deluxe uses 6SN7 tubes. I laid away a few sets I picked up in the 90's. And I have several 12at7's of various vintage. I have enough NOS and new tubes I actually bought a Big TV Repairman box for them.

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,476 of 2,609
That was me jumping up and down :) I have ordered a microZOTL2 with LPS and the new matching ZMF headphones. I get the first production LTA limited ZMF Omni's. Mark had the first set they used to demo at a show in Chicago and offered it to me. I have about 20 tube guitar amps. An older Fender Tweed Deluxe uses 6SN7 tubes. I laid away a few sets I picked up in the 90's. And I have several 12at7's of various vintage. I have enough NOS and new tubes I actually bought a Big TV Repairman box for them.

Congratulations! Enjoy the new toys! Curious to hear what you think about tube rolling when you get a chance.

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #1,477 of 2,609
  Defbear, I'm almost jealous! 

Don't be. It was a stretch money wise. Almost is ok. I've been needled by doctorjazz's posts for months now. (kidding) I wasn't going to get the headphones, but this is the first set. Last prototype/first production set.  Zach at ZMF brought them to the Axpona show for Urban Hi-Fi to demo the amp with. I assumed it would be a good set.

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #1,478 of 2,609
Congratulations! Enjoy the new toys! Curious to hear what you think about tube rolling when you get a chance.

I actually do have decades of experience fooling with tube guitar amps and tube rolling. I have to say we are in a golden age of tube production. Most of the new tubes today are Great and a Safe Bet. If the tube says Gold Lion, Mullard, Tungsol, Sovtek it come out of Russia produced by Mike Matthews of Electro Harmonix fame.Yes American owned. Ok, I do have a Schiit Lyr2. I've done some tube rolling with it. I have six sets of various NOS RCA, Phillips and others. The new Gold Lions sounded best. I have a yellow Speedster Guitar amp. Anyone at NAMM during the late 90's saw this thing. It takes 6v6 power tubes. Now I Have NOS 6v6's to beat the band. Any buzzword 6v6's you want to name and I may have sets. And hands down a set of Russian Ruby Tubes sounded best. The gist is, you can get brand new tubes which can be just as nice as expensive NOS or used.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #1,480 of 2,609
Make me a Third on DrJazz influenced interest, I am really looking forward to hearing this amp!!! Mark and Will are going to start you on a commission program Doc :kissing_smiling_eyes:.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #1,482 of 2,609
Man, I heard about it from the raves of DrBlueNewMexico...he got serial #0001 (I think), I got #0002 (he has the original MicroZOTL as well, that's what started all this, he suggested the ZOTL's time had come).
About to have an updated ZOTL review posted on Headphone.Guru.

And to all my fans, thank you, thank you, thank you, if I'm chosen, I'll do all I can to bring about world peace!!! :D (not sure you want to see me in the swimsuit competition, though...:wink: )

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #1,483 of 2,609
I have my MicroZotl2 for sale in classifieds with Ken-Rad VT231/6SN7 and Sylvania GB 6201/12AT7 gold pin NOS tubes. Excellent amp but I don't use much at all and is collecting dust, some fellow member can benefit from this.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806437/microzotl2-amp-with-ken-rad-vt231-6sn7-and-sylvania-6201-12at7-gb-gold-pin-nos-tubes

Thx

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,484 of 2,609
  I have my MicroZotl2 for sale in classifieds with Ken-Rad VT231/6SN7 and Sylvania GB 6201/12AT7 gold pin NOS tubes. Excellent amp but I don't use much at all and is collecting dust, some fellow member can benefit from this.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806437/microzotl2-amp-with-ken-rad-vt231-6sn7-and-sylvania-6201-12at7-gb-gold-pin-nos-tubes

Thx

I'm actually tempted to get a second one for my bedroom. Can't, unfortunately, because life, but tempted. 

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #1,485 of 2,609
Came home tonight and I found a brand new MicroZOTL 2 and LPS on my doorstep!!! Regretting being a late adapter, DrJazz, Blue, et. Al., were right this is an incredible amp!!!! Thanks to Mark and Will for bringing the ZOTL back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back