MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Apr 19, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,458 of 2,609
So, the 12AT7s boost the signal (like a pre-amp) for the 6SN7s, or the other way around?

The 12AT7 feed the 6SN7 tube an amplified signal. The 6SN7 is your output/power tube, in this situation. 

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,459 of 2,609
Would love to but I have twins duty on weekends as my wife works.  If there is high demand for 2 year olds at the Portland meet let me know, but I'll assume you all will want to listen to your headphones in a more hospitable environment :)  However, I am looking forward to the LTA ZMF Omni meet reviews/comments and probably will eventually get one of the 40 available....maybe #39 or 40 when the wife isn't looking
wink.gif

Quote:

If you are in Washington state you could see if you're free to come down to Portland Oregon on May 7th for the head fi meet.  I'll have ZOTL and Omni there, and there are turning out to be tons of other vendors. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #1,460 of 2,609
Crying for a dual mono microzotl now...is there any plan for xlr input on microzotl?

Apr 23, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #1,461 of 2,609
Crying for a dual mono microzotl now...is there any plan for xlr input on microzotl?

I imagine anything can be had for a price. Well maybe not eternal life on earth but then . . . we are getting into a hole different arena. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #1,463 of 2,609
Apr 23, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #1,464 of 2,609

You'd want a dual *differential* design for a true balanced amp... Be prepared for at least a doubling of the price since you have twice the parts count.

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #1,465 of 2,609

I think there's lower hanging fruit out there to improve the Zotl2 than going differential balanced.  If I were to rank the sonic improvements to my Zotl2, I'd have to say, funds permitting, upgrade the psu, swap the fuse out to a Synergistic Black and then go to the tubes.  I'm running some Sylvannia 6S7Nw's in mine.  I'm in the minority on this one, but swapping out the input tubes to some 7062s didn't do it for me.  My current Zotl2 is absolutely the best sound I've ever gotten out of a headphone rig.  I'd put it up against pretty much anything out there.  Stunning dynamics/prat, immediacy, resolution, and musicality.  

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,466 of 2,609
I think there's lower hanging fruit out there to improve the Zotl2 than going differential balanced.  If I were to rank the sonic improvements to my Zotl2, I'd have to say, funds permitting, upgrade the psu, swap the fuse out to a Synergistic Black and then go to the tubes.  I'm running some Sylvannia 6S7Nw's in mine.  I'm in the minority on this one, but swapping out the input tubes to some 7062s didn't do it for me.  My current Zotl2 is absolutely the best sound I've ever gotten out of a headphone rig.  I'd put it up against pretty much anything out there.  Stunning dynamics/prat, immediacy, resolution, and musicality.  

Yes. LPS first. I'm skeptical of things like fuses once the power delivery has been cleaned up. But tubes are also a must after LPS. What I like with the 7062 is the soundstage expansion and clean, uncolored mids and highs. I do not think there is any 12AT7 that stages like the 7062. And BTW the US and Holland 7062s are a bit different.

I've ordered a Torpedo3 kit with Cinemags. This kit is 800 bucks. I'll also run 7062s in it, and once I get around to soldering it up and assembling, I'll do some listening tests. A/B ZOTL2 vs T3, ZOTL2 as a preamp to the T3, etc. Consider the ZOTL2 is 1100 plus LPS (I put 200 into my AMB s11) it ought to be a very fair comparison. $1300 vs $800. I've already heard both briefly, and while more listening is certainly needed, I'll give a quick spoiler... Each has its strengths over the other. So while I've grown to like the ZOTL2, I don't think I'd put it up against anything out there. Certainly NOT my ZDS, but maybe not even everything IN its own price bracket or even below...

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #1,467 of 2,609

I love the Eddie Current stuff and currently own one a custom phonostage he made for me (with Cinemag's best transformers) and used to own his Balancing Act.  I still have his phonostage which bettered the one in my EAR 868 pre-amp.  I've never been able to give the Zana Deux a serious listen.  I have listened to it and it was great, but I never listened to it in my own rig with my own sources, so that a serious comparison was possible.  That is, you change one and only one thing in the chain.  I hope to a/b the Zotl2 against my friend's BA and another friend's Donald North stuff.  Both guys have very nice speaker rigs and have listened to most of the best headphone amps out there with great sources (the $20k Rockna dac, Metrux Hex, Berkeley Reference, Bricasti and on and on).   Fuses certainly make a difference.  If you're dismissive of this, then we hear things differently.  Much differently.  I bought the Amperex 7062s (from Holland).  I like the versatility of the 6SN7s.  I think with this tube you have a much broader range of sonic habitats available.   

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #1,468 of 2,609
I love the Eddie Current stuff and currently own one a custom phonostage he made for me (with Cinemag's best transformers) and used to own his Balancing Act.  I still have his phonostage which bettered the one in my EAR 868 pre-amp.  I've never been able to give the Zana Deux a serious listen.  I have listened to it and it was great, but I never listened to it in my own rig with my own sources, so that a serious comparison was possible.  That is, you change one and only one thing in the chain.  I hope to a/b the Zotl2 against my friend's BA and another friend's Donald North stuff.  Both guys have very nice speaker rigs and have listened to most of the best headphone amps out there with great sources (the $20k Rockna dac, Metrux Hex, Berkeley Reference, Bricasti and on and on).   Fuses certainly make a difference.  If you're dismissive of this, then we hear things differently.  Much differently.  I bought the Amperex 7062s (from Holland).  I like the versatility of the 6SN7s.  I think with this tube you have a much broader range of sonic habitats available.   

The MZ2 doesn't have a big soundstage in general but the 7062s improve it, and the MZ2 seems to resist attempts at achieving a warmer sound fairly stridently. A BA vs MZ2 is about as apples vs tangelos a comparison one might find while staying within the realm of tube amps.

Fuses, I haven't said they don't make a difference. I have said I'm skeptical of a fuse as low hanging fruit after power delivery is cleaned up. My experience dictates diminishing returns from fuses after other items are addressed.

If you ever want to sell that EC phono stage do let me know.

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #1,469 of 2,609
I don't go for the expensive fuses but I do use ceramic fuses that are sand filled. They are for ultra fast fuse action and the material inside is so they can't arc over but a benefit for audio is that the material dampens the fuse material. This keeps the wire still and less prone to any micro vibrations, therefore it doesn't vibrate in a field, which can induce noise on the DC signal. I have used them for years and while more expensive compared to your standard glass fuse, they are worth it and a fraction of the cost of the silver fuses etc. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #1,470 of 2,609
  I don't go for the expensive fuses but I do use ceramic fuses that are sand filled. They are for ultra fast fuse action and the material inside is so they can't arc over but a benefit for audio is that the material dampens the fuse material. This keeps the wire still and less prone to any micro vibrations, therefore it doesn't vibrate in a field, which can induce noise on the DC signal. I have used them for years and while more expensive compared to your standard glass fuse, they are worth it and a fraction of the cost of the silver fuses etc. 

I'd be interested in seeing some quantitative measurements that lend credence to this.  The ceramic fuses aren't filled with sand for this reason, but to absorb heat.  So quite possibly, this theory could be yet another case of audiophilia gone awry...  or not.  It'd be interesting to know.  On the other hand, ceramic sand filled fuses aren't cost prohibitive to try out for the heck of it.  My local Radio Shack used to sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back