MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
May 1, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #1,501 of 2,609
We recommend above 90db for using for desktop speakers (while you're sitting at the desk) and above 95db for a room. I use 96db Klipsch bookshelf speakers (RP-160M) in a 10'x12' apartment living room and am quite content - I usually turn it up to about 3pm at first but then find that to be actually louder than I want the music to be, and it heads back up to about 1pm. Just remember to unplug your headphones.

May 1, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #1,504 of 2,609
I have been running the MicroZOTL 2.0 into a relatively inefficient (85 db/watt) pair of 8 ohm, Linn Katan speakers in a desktop setup. I have been driving this combo with the DAC out setting of my Burson V2+. As long as I keep the volume level up around 80 on the Burson -REMOVE HEADPHONES FIRST!- I get very acceptable listening levels with the MicroZOTL in the 12 to 1 o'clock position. Small room, no head-banging music, your mileage may vary, etc.

As amazing as the HEKs sound through this amp, it is very nice to be able to have the option of speakers or headphones. This truly is an amazing piece of equipment for this type of setup. Now, if it only came with a built in Sabre DAC........

May 2, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #1,507 of 2,609
Alright, I tried to drive my speakers with the MZ2, but with no success. 

I did get sufficient volume (about noon), but there were two problems:

1. My spade speaker cables would only fit onto the posts at a very specific angle, and I couldn't get this angle on the inside pair. 
At anything other than this one specific one angle, the post appeared too large. 

2. What sound I did get out of the one speaker was weirdly hollow and boomy. 

Oh well, now I don't have to be tempted to get another MZ2, so this is actually a fine outcome. 
wink_face.gif

May 2, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #1,508 of 2,609
  Alright, I tried to drive my speakers with the MZ2, but with no success. 

I did get sufficient volume (about noon), but there were two problems:

1. My spade speaker cables would only fit onto the posts at a very specific angle, and I couldn't get this angle on the inside pair. 
At anything other than this one specific one angle, the post appeared too large. 

2. What sound I did get out of the one speaker was weirdly hollow and boomy. 

Oh well, now I don't have to be tempted to get another MZ2, so this is actually a fine outcome. 
wink_face.gif

Yeah, 88db + 1 watt = not a good listening experience. You could get another MicroZOTL2 and monoblock them for a monstrous 1.7 or so watts per channel, except that 1.7 wpc + 88db still = not a great listening experience.

Luckily, guys, Linear Tube Audio thought about this problem! Have 88db speakers and only a MicroZOTL? We've got you covered.

May 2, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #1,509 of 2,609

Yeah, 88db + 1 watt = not a good listening experience. You could get another MicroZOTL2 and monoblock them for a monstrous 1.7 or so watts per channel, except that 1.7 wpc + 88db still = not a great listening experience.

Luckily, guys, Linear Tube Audio thought about this problem! Have 88db speakers and only a MicroZOTL? We've got you covered.

You have such a nice-guy online persona, Will, but now we have definitive proof of your evilness. :)

I will have to continue slumming with my old Krell. 
biggrin.gif

I do wonder why the posts seem too large, and why I got decent volume, but not decent sound. 

May 2, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #1,510 of 2,609
Same here, my Thiel 3.6 speakers will have to settle for the old Krell KSA-150, though, eventually, I'll get around to trying the ZOTL as a preamp.

May 4, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #1,512 of 2,609
Huzzah! My microZOTL2 has arrived. I immediately hooked it up to my Bifrost Multibit with a set of hd800 and a macbook pro running Amarra. I'm pretty stupefied right now. Does not happen often. (Chime in) This amp is amazing. Buzzword list: Bass, clarity, soundstage, detail, Prat, pratty, Prat. My poor Liquid Carbon now sounds like a dull flat uh corn husk (sorta :) )

May 4, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #1,513 of 2,609
Huzzah! My microZOTL2 has arrived. I immediately hooked it up to my Bifrost Multibit with a set of hd800 and a macbook pro running Amarra. I'm pretty stupefied right now. Does not happen often. (Chime in) This amp is amazing. Buzzword list: Bass, clarity, soundstage, detail, Prat, pratty, Prat. My poor Liquid Carbon now sounds like a dull flat uh corn husk (sorta :) )

Congrats, enjoy the new toy!

May 4, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #1,514 of 2,609
Thank you! You were and are correct. The MZL sounds better than the Liquid Carbon. A great recommendation from doctorjazz.
Errg, AArg Friend Good!

May 4, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #1,515 of 2,609
Thank you! You were and are correct. The MZL sounds better than the Liquid Carbon. A great recommendation from doctorjazz.
Errg, AArg Friend Good!

I've been resisting the "I told you so", couldn't do it anymore. :D Seems most of the doubters who tried it have been impressed. (and, as I always say, I LIKE the LC. Just like the ZOTL a whole lot more...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back