MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Apr 3, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #1,381 of 2,609
Interesting. I saw they announced finishing 2 years of research on a new DAC that will only sell for a measly 25K Euros.

We're mostly interested in things that are priced in a similar way to the LTA ZOTL products: at a point where an increase in performance would require much more cost and would be incremental. I don't think you'll see us with a MicroZOTL2 perched atop a DAC worth several times its price anytime soon. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #1,385 of 2,609

This is correct. It's not recommended that you change either of the tube types.*

*see nephilim's posts, though he's only been playing with the 6SN7 sockets.

If I have a lot of 12au7 around are those no good either? I don't mind going with 12at7 if the circuit expects them.

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #1,386 of 2,609

If I have a lot of 12au7 around are those no good either? I don't mind going with 12at7 if the circuit expects them.

The MicroZOTL circuit was designed specifically for 12at7s and requires them.

If you happen to fall in love with the ZOTL sound and want power amps, both of our speaker amplifiers, the 10 watt and the 40 watt, use 12au7s. Just to put that out there. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #1,387 of 2,609

The MicroZOTL circuit was designed specifically for 12at7s and requires them.

If you happen to fall in love with the ZOTL sound and want power amps, both of our speaker amplifiers, the 10 watt and the 40 watt, use 12au7s. Just to put that out there. 

If I fall in love with the ZOTL sound I'll be running it thru a Hafler DH-500.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #1,389 of 2,609
If such a thing is in the works I will be keeping my eyes open absolutely. I've been eyeing the micro2 for a while now though and thinking it's about time to try them out.

Just one more thing I'm confused on, sorry, you either run 12at7's -or- 6sn7's?

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #1,390 of 2,609
  If such a thing is in the works I will be keeping my eyes open absolutely. I've been eyeing the micro2 for a while now though and thinking it's about time to try them out.

Just one more thing I'm confused on, sorry, you either run 12at7's -or- 6sn7's?

It is not currently in the works - right now on that front we're just trying to get the ZOTL10 and ZOTL40 in production and seen in the world. 

The MicroZOTL2 has a pair of 6SN7s and a pair of 12AT7s. We recommend that they stay 6SN7s and 12AT7s, as those were the tubes the circuit was designed for.

We do offer a cover with pre-cut holes for older 6SN7 variations, so as long as the tubes are equivalent, of course, it doesn't matter exactly what they're called.

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #1,392 of 2,609
Could some of you owners please share your favorite 12AT7 tubes you have used with this amp?
I have lots of 6SN7s. Do any of you like any other than Tung Sol round plates with this amp? Any one try Sylvania Bad Boys?

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #1,393 of 2,609
Power supplies for DC gear are a confusing topic to me.  What is the reason for the improvement with the LPS over the original?

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #1,394 of 2,609
Could some of you owners please share your favorite 12AT7 tubes you have used with this amp?
I have lots of 6SN7s. Do any of you like any other than Tung Sol round plates with this amp? Any one try Sylvania Bad Boys?

Recommendations:

There are 12AT7 variants, and the Amperex 7062 is the best I've heard.  I would say it's the single best low cost change one can make to the MZ2.  $40-45 a pair and cheaper for the USA-made version.

Consider the VT-99 in place of the 6SN7.  An adapter is required, and then, they won't fit in the case with the solid acrylic cover.  LTA makes a cover with two holes so they can stick out, though.  Personally, I've used National Union round plate VT-99 tubes.  And I like them.  I'm not interested in the Tungsol due to its significantly higher cost, but I suspect they're good as well.  I've heard negative impressions of the Bad Boys in the MZ2.  But to each his own.

With the combination of Sigma-11 LPS, Amperex 7062, and National Union VT-99 ... I've suddenly stumbled upon a setup that I think I can live with longer term - and not just live with, but enjoy.  I am going to have a chance to hear a Torpedo3 with Cinemags soon, and I'm very much interested in how it'll compare/contrast.

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #1,395 of 2,609
Wow I just read the absolute sound review of the MZ2 and thank God for it as I thoght I was going crazy or aleast my hearing was. You see I was using a Joule Electra La150 preamp in front of my berning ZH270 amp but started to have a problem with the balance control on the pre (it has a small motor attached to the mechanical balance knob for remote control) which was becoming unstable. Now I have loved the preamp for many years but was forced to take it out of the chain for repairs so I dropped in the MZ2 which I was using as a headphone amp only and was absolutely blown away with the sound. Soundstage, bass, spacial seperation even treble all significantly better. I have since ordered the LPS and am anticipating even greater sound

I just thought I should let you know that you should really try the MZ2 as a preamp in you systems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back