MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Apr 1, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #1,366 of 2,609
Hey hey! Got the new power supply from LTA. A nice substantial supply and letting it burn in now. Will have some comparisons to the Mojo V but out of the box it is sounding very good. Clean and a black background to the sound.

I received the LPS on Wednesday and have about 8 hours of listening on it. In a word, definitely an improvement! (OK, that was 3 words). Absolutely black background (not that it wasn't very good to begin with, but in no way is it worse) more air around the instruments, and a noticeable improvement in soundstage. I would highly recommend current MZotl2 users to jump on the LTA LPS bandwagon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,367 of 2,609
I also notice an improvement/change in the bass. Very solid and controlled. 

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #1,368 of 2,609
OK, I finally hooked up my Zotl2.  My entire rig was in storage as I completed a house renovation.  Right out of the box, the Zotl2 sounds pretty darned good.  It's a ballsy tube amp.  My quick characteristic would be the balls of good ss with the palpability of tubes.

I'll be trying it with two different external psu's, an Uptone Audio JS-2 and a Core Audio Kallos.  In the past, I've owned the Berning ZH270 and a 300B Berning Siegfried.  The Siegfried was my favorite tube amp ever and I mistakenly sold it to a friend when I switched out of high efficiency speakers.  It's the only piece of gear I've had that's actually appreciated in value.

As far as headphone amps go, my previous reference was an Eddie Current Balancing Act with KR PX4s (after cycling through just about every 300B out there since I was one of the first to purchase a BA and Craig's Mom lives near me and quite graciously gave me access to a bunch of different 300Bs), upgraded fuse, power cord and umbilical.  I live in AZ and my audiophile friends here have cycled through most of the top tier amps.  

I'll keep everyone posted.  For those in doubt, the psu makes a very meaningful difference.  Just hooked up the Core Audio Kallos and the a/b was immediate.  My sources are an Auralic Vega, Chord Mojo and a vinyl set-up (Eddie Current custom phono stage, tweaked 1200 with Paul Hynes psu, Lyra Delos, Funk Firm platter, upgraded bearing and Origin Live arm).

Sonically, I prefer a dynamic, immediate presentation with a huge soundstage.  Definitely more of a front-row guy.  Just stating this up front so you can frame my assessment of things.  I'm also an unrepentant tweaker.

The rig in my profile is dated.  I'll have to update that.

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,369 of 2,609
I am finding the new power supply that LTA is putting out now, to be excellent. This is a must buy for you guys and gals with the micro. Buy it and forget it. It doesn't run very warm and the way they have it openly vented, the PS should last a few lifetimes. 

Edit: Wow, this new power supply really increases the slam. A very taught and articulated bass! 

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,370 of 2,609
Haven't got other LPS units to compare it with, but I'd agree the LTA LPS is a nice upgrade to the sound, glad I got it.

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #1,371 of 2,609
OK, I've only got about 12 hours on my Zotl2 but I'm completely smitten with the sound.  The slam/dynamics/prat and bass of this thing is off the charts with a good external psu.  I'm using a Core Audio Kallos but hope to check out a LTA psu at some point.  I haven't been this happy with an audio purchase in a long time.  Next up I'm going to check out some fuses and then I'll begin with the tube rolling.  Then again, the sound is so good that there's nothing I really want to change.  Just being a standard neurotic audiophile.

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #1,372 of 2,609
Awesome.

I've got a Grado GH1 and a custom SennGrado. Love to hear impressions with the PS abd the 325.

Glad you asked about this - turns out I have a slight glitch with mine more easy to hear via the Grado. Lots of good support from Linear Tube Audio, so it's being taken care of!

But there was a second MicroZOTL2 at the meet, with some new tubes, which I might ask for later! The gentleman who brought his Grado PS1000e was disappointed I had sold my DNA Sonett, which was the first amplifier he'd heard and liked how his Grado(s) sounded on. But he had a chance to listen to the second MicroZOTL2. And he loved it - is keeping his Grado. Unlike the DNA, you can actually buy these - I think this was one of his comments. And at the meet, the MZ2 was run through a bevy of headphones, and all sounded good:

1. Dharma D1000
  2. Ether C
  3. HD600
  4. HD650
  5. HD800S
  6. HE1000
  7. LCD-3
  8. LCD-4
  9. LCD-X
  10. LCD-XC
  11. PS1000e

And likely a few more I'm not recalling... 
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,373 of 2,609
I don't have any headphones that don't sound great with the micro Zotl. You can see most of my phones in my signature. I also have the AKG 7XX from Mass drop that sound very good out of the micro. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #1,374 of 2,609
  I don't have any headphones that don't sound great with the micro Zotl. You can see most of my phones in my signature. I also have the AKG 7XX from Mass drop that sound very good out of the micro. 

I'm a fan of both the K7XX and K702 and will be trying those soon.

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,375 of 2,609
  OK, I've only got about 12 hours on my Zotl2 but I'm completely smitten with the sound.  The slam/dynamics/prat and bass of this thing is off the charts with a good external psu.  I'm using a Core Audio Kallos but hope to check out a LTA psu at some point.  I haven't been this happy with an audio purchase in a long time.  Next up I'm going to check out some fuses and then I'll begin with the tube rolling.  Then again, the sound is so good that there's nothing I really want to change.  Just being a standard neurotic audiophile.

You'll definitely want to update your "headphone amp" section in your signature then :wink:

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #1,376 of 2,609
.................... And at the meet, the MZ2 was run through a bevy of headphones, and all sounded good:..............
biggrin.gif

Which meet?

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,377 of 2,609
  Which meet?

Yesterday there was a mini-meet follow up to the DC-area meet, though it turned out to be more medium than mini. I went for more personal reasons than professional, though am always happy when people get to spend time with the MicroZOTL2. It also seems that the Metrum Musette that we've decided to pair with, along with Mojo products, is getting good reactions as a match with the amp, which is also reassuring.  

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,378 of 2,609
  Yesterday there was a mini-meet follow up to the DC-area meet, though it turned out to be more medium than mini. I went for more personal reasons than professional, though am always happy when people get to spend time with the MicroZOTL2. It also seems that the Metrum Musette that we've decided to pair with, along with Mojo products, is getting good reactions as a match with the amp, which is also reassuring.  

That is an unusual DAC as it only has one US Dealer according to the manufacturer's website.  From the 6 Moons review it does look interesting though.

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #1,379 of 2,609

That is an unusual DAC as it only has one US Dealer according to the manufacturer's website.  From the 6 Moons review it does look interesting though.

We came across Metrum DACs and were very intrigued by their new, proprietary method of making a ladder chip, and the retail company we run (separate from Linear Tube Audio), Urban HiFi, which until recently has been the only place to buy MicroZOTL2s, has been looking for interesting products, so we've been using the Musette and have been very happy with it, and Metrum has agreed to let us be a dealer as well. So, soon you'll be seeing Metrum products, amongst others, on the Urban HiFi website. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back