MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Mar 31, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #1,351 of 2,609
  There's no top currently.  I'd be tempted to just drill the existing top, but that might hurt resale.

Urban Audio sells a top for $30 that has the 2 holes already drilled to let taller tubes stick thru and allow the top to be screwed down. I have one on my amp with the 6F8G/VT-99's. There are some pictures of my amp with the 'holey' top in some earlier posts.

One note. I see bazelio got the VT-99 to 6SN7 adaptors with the white cap that attaches to the top of the tube. I personally don't like the white caps as they only contact the tube on 2 sides and tend to loosen with use. If you check eBay you will also see adaptors that use a black cap. These black caps contact the tube on 4 sides, fit much tighter, and tend to stay tight. There is also an eBay seller who sells the black caps separately. I would recommend anyone buying any adaptors to try to get ones with the black cap instead of the white one. I converted the adaptors I have from white caps to black caps, but it is a bit of a pain to do until you figure it out.

Mar 31, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #1,353 of 2,609
For those of us tube ignoramuses, WHAT are the tops for? Is it formalwear?

Mar 31, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #1,354 of 2,609
Mine doesn't hold together if the top isn't screwed on...the walls stand there, it isn't stable.

Heh, the case is no mechanical engineering marvel, but mine doesn't fall apart with the top detached.  

At some point we added corner welds so that the top isn't necessary for structural stability. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the amp wasn't exactly designed for tube rolling. I'm currently trying to change my first 12AT7s ever, and getting them back in . . . well, I'm taking a break. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #1,355 of 2,609
A-ha!that explains it.

Mar 31, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #1,357 of 2,609
  These caps aren't going anywhere.  They're on there securely..

In my experience, the white caps may be ok when new, but they loosen with time and use. If you have a chance to use the black caps you will see the difference in how tightly they fit and how they stay tight over time. Just my 2cents worth.

Mar 31, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #1,358 of 2,609

These caps aren't going anywhere.  They're on there securely..

In my experience, the white caps may be ok when new, but they loosen with time and use. If you have a chance to use the black caps you will see the difference in how tightly they fit and how they stay tight over time. Just my 2cents worth.

OK we will see. My ZDS white caps are still problem free.

Mar 31, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #1,360 of 2,609

OK we will see. My ZDS white caps are still problem free.

Haven't heard of ZDS white caps. Maybe they are higher quality than the typical ones on eBay? If so, I stand corrected. Is there a site to see and possibly purchase them separately?

I meant the rectifier caps on my Zana Deux Super.  They're white and they clamp front and back just like these.  They've given me no difficulties....

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #1,361 of 2,609
I have a couple of adapters that I bought on eBay for my VT99. They have the ceramic white caps. I have also made adapters with these caps in the past and have not had any problem with contact pressure. I don't find them difficult to work with but can understand that if they were not sprung correctly when assembling, there might not be adequate pressure on the grid cap or whatever cap you are using them with. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #1,362 of 2,609
Hey hey! Got the new power supply from LTA. A nice substantial supply and letting it burn in now. Will have some comparisons to the Mojo V but out of the box it is sounding very good. Clean and a black background to the sound. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,363 of 2,609
Hey hey! Got the new power supply from LTA. A nice substantial supply and letting it burn in now. Will have some comparisons to the Mojo V but out of the box it is sounding very good. Clean and a black background to the sound. 

Curious about the comparison...

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #1,364 of 2,609

As I recall, you described the burning in period for the Mojo Joule V as being quite long, at least before it reached its best sound and that sound became stable.  Would that be your expectation for the Linear Tube Audio version? 

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #1,365 of 2,609

As I recall, you described the burning in period for the Mojo Joule V as being quite long, at least before it reached its best sound and that sound became stable.  Would that be your expectation for the Linear Tube Audio version? 

I don't know. It has many caps that need to form but I will say that even after a few hours I like what it is doing. I most likely will stick the stock tubes in it to run it when I am not listening. like overnight. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back