MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Apr 2, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #2,341 of 2,609
Hi all , Pardon me if this has already been discussed ,..Who has tried the early 1950s Bendix Red Bank 2C50 / 12sn7 in their Microzotl ? I think they are the cheery on top ,.

I would love to try a pair of those. RedBank tubes in general are really over-built and sound great.

Right now I am using 14N7's with of course loctal to octal adapters. These best even Kenrad black glass round plate tubes...in my system.

I did need to have two holes cut in the plexi lid to accommodate the added height of the tubes but it also gives better ventilation.

Also keep track of the tube specs for voltage as the MZ runs at a pretty high voltage. I contacted both David Berning and LTA asking about which tubes could safely be used. The reply was a tad vague and ran something along the lines that the amp runs at 400v or higher however they have had few issues with NOS tubes rated at 300v.

This was somewhat comforting but left me feeling a bit confused specially when the best sound from the MZ seems to come with NOS tubes.

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #2,342 of 2,609
I would love to try a pair of those. RedBank tubes in general are really over-built and sound great.

Right now I am using 14N7's with of course loctal to octal adapters. These best even Kenrad black glass round plate tubes...in my system.

I did need to have two holes cut in the plexi lid to accommodate the added height of the tubes but it also gives better ventilation.

Also keep track of the tube specs for voltage as the MZ runs at a pretty high voltage. I contacted both David Berning and LTA asking about which tubes could safely be used. The reply was a tad vague and ran something along the lines that the amp runs at 400v or higher however they have had few issues with NOS tubes rated at 300v.

This was somewhat comforting but left me feeling a bit confused specially when the best sound from the MZ seems to come with NOS tubes.
My first use of Bendix tubes was back in the 1990s as rectifier tube in the power supply , either the preamp finally broke in at that moment or the Bendix rectifier really did improve overall performance .

As you probably know a lot of these tubes were used in missile defence among other applications. Anyway so far I'm really enjoying my Micro .
My plans for the Micro are to drive speakers with occasional use of headphones . There's lots of brands and kits however I'd like a really good match .

Just a short note a friend has a Klipsh surround sound consisting of the Klipsh RF7 2s that have a sensitivity of 101dB ,.Well I was never a fan of Klipsh however we were bold over with what the Micro did with these speakers , I think a perfect match . They accually sounded half decent and the bass was astounding , I guess the damping factor of the amp is well suited with this model of speakers.
Exceptional well known recordings I'm familiar with separates the wheat from the chaff pretty quick evaluating components and LTA have a genuine heavy hitter with the Micro.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #2,343 of 2,609
Just a short note a friend has a Klipsh surround sound consisting of the Klipsh RF7 2s that have a sensitivity of 101dB ,.Well I was never a fan of Klipsh however we were bold over with what the Micro did with these speakers , I think a perfect match . They accually sounded half decent and the bass was astounding , I guess the damping factor of the amp is well suited with this model of speakers.
Exceptional well known recordings I'm familiar with separates the wheat from the chaff pretty quick evaluating components and LTA have a genuine heavy hitter with the Micro.

W-W-W.....WOW! Very very VERY cool.  Thanks for sharing.  I wouldn't have expected this level of diversity from the venerable MZ2.  I've truly stumbled onto a gem.  I continue to love mine.

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #2,344 of 2,609

My buddy has a pair of highly tweaked Klipsch LaScalas. I sold Klipsch for many years and never liked them for much beyond the occasional urge to play stuff stupid-loud. They just didn't image worth a darn. Personally I'm more of a Magneplanar or 80s-90s era B&W guy. But my friends pair fixed a lot of the usual Klipsch issues and they now image plus have the drum impact and bass guitar slap and growl when called for. His current amp is a Luxman tube integrated rated at 25 watts and it can still play as loud as you'd ever want.

One night we dropped the MZ2 in the system (the LaScalas are at least 101 db efficient) and it was a major disapointment. No impact or dynamics. Even understanding that 1 watt only goes so far and to scale back expectations, we pulled it out after a couple of songs. 1 watt isn't good for anything beyond near field desktop applications or musak level passive listening. IMHO.

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #2,345 of 2,609
My buddy has a pair of highly tweaked Klipsch LaScalas. I sold Klipsch for many years and never liked them for much beyond the occasional urge to play stuff stupid-loud. They just didn't image worth a darn. Personally I'm more of a Magneplanar or 80s-90s era B&W guy. But my friends pair fixed a lot of the usual Klipsch issues and they now image plus have the drum impact and bass guitar slap and growl when called for. His current amp is a Luxman tube integrated rated at 25 watts and it can still play as loud as you'd ever want.

One night we dropped the MZ2 in the system (the LaScalas are at least 101 db efficient) and it was a major disapointment. No impact or dynamics. Even understanding that 1 watt only goes so far and to scale back expectations, we pulled it out after a couple of songs. 1 watt isn't good for anything beyond near field desktop applications or musak level passive listening. IMHO.
Yep there are differences between the two speakers however the Micro really got on well with the RF7s next month the Micro will be hooked up to some nice horn speakers maybe it will sound awful but the hunt is on .

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #2,346 of 2,609
AT the NY Audio show a few months back, 2 ZOTL's were driving some horn speakers (I posted it here at the time), did a really nice job driving them, sounded nice.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #2,347 of 2,609
MICROZOTL 2 with 4 different power supplies. I've tried the original SMPS, a Mojo Audio "Joule III", a Red Wine Audio "Black Lightning" LiFePo battery, and, finally, the Vinnie Rossi "MINI" ultracap supply. How dramatically a power supply affects quality of sound. After the original, I used the Mojo Audio supply: this brought warmth, weight & sweetness. The Red Wine Audio battery: this brought liquidity & a sense of greater power & a blacker background, perhaps with less bass control. Now, with the Vinnie Rossi ultra cap: a more laid back perspective, even greater bass control & slam, sweetness, detail, effortlessness. Keeping the Vinnie Rossi "MINI". 
I power HiFiMan 560s & Audioquest Nighthawks. Also Omega drivers...which I got before noticing Urban HiFi is distributing the Omega 94.5 starting efficient speakers. Had many single driver speakers and these are great, sounding so awesome with my favorite of all time amp, the MICROZOTL 2 !

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #2,348 of 2,609
So it's with a somewhat heavy heart that I've decided to sell my Zotl40 amp. It has the same great clarity and air as the MZ2, but unfortunately I just can't make it work with my notoriously hard to drive speakers.

PM me if you're interested in buying one for a good price.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #2,349 of 2,609
Note: if anyone desires my Mojo Joule ver 3 for your MICROZOTL , PM me. Already parted from my RWA battery supply. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #2,352 of 2,609
Hi Willsw , I recognize some of the components on your table , what is the component with the tubes sticking out of it on the back right ?

Following the Instagram link it lists Lampizator and it looks like one. That would really be an endgame system.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #2,353 of 2,609
Hi Willsw , I recognize some of the components on your table , what is the component with the tubes sticking out of it on the back right ?

That's the Lampizator Atlantic, which we're pairing mainly with our Electrostatic prototype but occasionally hook up to an MZ2-S. We're showing upstairs with Lampizator and their Golden Atlantic, so I asked if they had an extra DAC to put on our booth. It sonuds very very good. 

May 1, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #2,355 of 2,609
A few more pictures from Axpona.

The other DACs and the beautiful ZMF Eikons
IMG_20170423_115729_227.jpg

A little after-hours fun driving these huge horns with our watt.
IMG_20170424_170057_811.jpg

The electrostatic prototype (the far one - the closer one with tubes showing is the Lampizator Atlantic DAC)
IMG_20170422_114250_571.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back