MHDT Havana DAC
Mar 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #2,221 of 2,680
Ok thanks for your advices. It's funny/surprising that Vcap Cutf don't have more differences compared with Vintage Tone on C11 than that... I remember they provided more refined and silkier sound than Mundorf s/g/o on output, a big improvement.

I never tried Jupiter Vintage Tone no, I'm a bit afraid about the "old vintage tone", I don't see at all what it can be. Does it colour the sound ?

I already tried Silver micas on c12 and it didn't let me unforgettable memories. Then I tried Clarity MR (same than on input : big opening but harsh sound on my system), then I tried Jupiter HT and I remember I absolutely loved them here : extremely pleasant to listen to, rich presentation, dense textures with lot of matter, bringing a lot of presence and a kind of magic (but less extensiona dn clarity than MR caps of course). Not at all the more neutral but they're still there. Did you try them on c12 as well ?

On my mind s/g/o make a good job on C11, on my mind they provide what you like in black gate (I never heard BG though) : clean sound, a straight presentation, liveliness, opening, details... I'll order and test Jensen and vintage tone (jensen look big, may not be easy to fit into). I'm curious to hear the difference with Mundorf S/G/O may be I'll like the change. I would have liked to try amphom as i read several good comments on them but they're too big.

If I didn't yet installed Vcap cutf on input I'll try Clarity MR caps without Mundorf s/g/o on c11 : as Robert mentionned recently they may not be compatible. They're both widely opened (still more MR caps, with both opened trebles), and s/g/o sound a bit dry/digital compared to vcap cutf as I remember.

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #2,222 of 2,680
Mako, I haven't tried CuTF on C11. Jupiter VT does color the sound before it burns-in. Later we have very dynamic and expressive sound (in my case) not colored at all.
This is cheap, very good cap that's why I suggest you to try it.
It my opinion it surpasses Mundorf SGIO, Jensen Copper PIO, FT3 Russian, Wima MkP4 and many more.
You can spoil the sound by one cap and c11 is a perfect example to do that. :)
Mundorfs are digital sounding caps to my ears.

I wish you would configure your DAC as you like the best, now you see it is not easy job.
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #2,223 of 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeert1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mundorfs are digital sounding caps to my ears.

And you certainly wouldn't be wrong. Despite all their qualities from what I remember they're a bit rough with lack of softness and naturalness.

If Jupiter VT don't colour the sound I really don't see what can be a "vintage tone". How long do you recommend to burn them in ?

It's not that easy to find the proper synergy to achieve the best sound but it's fun (I don't have enough time to do it though). And you did a very good job till now with ioserica, kimchee and the others, I mostly followed your recommendations except some parts and it's very good.

A1 is a bit cleaner & right than my havana (i'll try to correct this) but on both I feel a lack of transparency, extension (treble mainly) and too round/slow basses, that's what I would mainly like to improve. 2 first ones are characteristics of NOS dacs though.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #2,224 of 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by loserica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The two capacitors on the input section (0,01 uF) are very important and I haven't the slightest doubt that not doing their job (for hundred percent..)

I don't understand what you mean by you don't doubt they're "not doing their job" ? You mean your cutf caps on input are not burnt in enough or doesn't give their potential because 0.22 vccap cutf is not burnt in yet ? I don't understand very well. According to your previous comments vcap here are a good improvement.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2,225 of 2,680
Quote:

I don't understand what you mean by you don't doubt they're "not doing their job" ? You mean your cutf caps on input are not burnt in enough or doesn't give their potential because 0.22 vccap cutf is not burnt in yet ? I don't understand very well. According to your previous comments vcap here are a good improvement.

Actually they have about six or seven hundred hours, they are certainly burnt. Sorry because I expressed incoherently... just remember that: get your 0,01uF CuTf for input without any retention! They are very suitable here, not "good" improvement, very good!
smile.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #2,227 of 2,680
Hi,All just in case any of you are looking for some

WBT 0210-Ag RCA "Next Gen" Pure Silver, Female Jack PAIR ,

On spacial at parts connection http://www.partsconnexion.com/product9724.html

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #2,228 of 2,680
Quote:
Hi,All just in case any of you are looking for some

WBT 0210-Ag RCA "Next Gen" Pure Silver, Female Jack PAIR ,

On spacial at parts connection http://www.partsconnexion.com/product9724.html

They are definitely some of the best connectors for Havana! We felt the change in sound for the first moment of listening. At $100 they are one of the best upgrades in that value price (top 5 or something
smile.gif
, after CuTF for input, tubes, japanese K-grade chips, and probably R-core&Shinkoh tantalum resistors..) 

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #2,230 of 2,680
Hi all, so I gave back Total Dac A1 last week but couldn't post a message before as I was away. So while I'd say my Havana had slightly more air and better separation of instruments, A1 is a bit cleaner, right and precise than my havana, on my mind that's where the differences are. A1 is slightly more fluent and especially provides a faster/tighter bass. At the beginning I thought he had more informations but in fact I think it may be a bit more dynamics, and may be some small other things I don't precisely identify. The result is that my havana hurts a little bit more ears whereas A1 is slightly more liquid and natural sounding. But keep in mind it was really subtle : I mainly heard it by direct comparison and even if most of the time I slightly prefered A1 I'm not sure at all I would be abble to identify each dac on blind comparisons. However may be on another hifi system differences would have been bigger, audio monitors or high end speakers would have helped to know. It wouldn't have been night & day though on my mind : may be a bit more precision, a bit more something...

I've been surpised that both dacs were so close from each others. I think my hifi system showed some limits to make more detailed comparisons, so I think I'll change the only 2 flaws I see (and I knew) :

- change my Qed coax cables (dac -> amp) which are correct but not high end (http://www.futureshop.co.uk/qed-signature-audio-cable-1m-p-2106.html) by very good, neutral & transparent ones
- change my usb/spdif converter by a better one, may be audiophilleo + pure power or something like this. Art legato looks good too but is limited to 44.1 khz.

I have the impression it becomes necessary now to really appreciate changes in micro details, position of instruments, attacks and so on. I already knew that, the only thing is that I don't want my system to be too much transparent as I'm afraid more recordings will then become unhearable or worse to listen to. Which is always frustrating and a below-average performance as it's supposed to give more pleasure with music. However I think my converter and coax cables don't allow me to appreciate changes/improvements, so it worths trying.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #2,231 of 2,680
Apr 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #2,232 of 2,680
Quote:
I am selling my upgraded Havana, including Bendix 6385 and other tubes.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/657908/mhdt-havana-dac-improved-with-high-quality-components-bendix-6385-others

I love this DAC, but I recently find myself dedicating more time playing and writing my own music than listening music from others. I plan to buy an Audio Interface with good Microphone Preamplifiers and Analog to Digital Converters, probably the RME Fireface UCX.

@Pingfloid,
When I see an ad that sells Havana, I feel something in my heart that throbs,.. because we have dedicated to many session changes with this DAC.
Yours should sound great for asking price!
smile.gif
I wish you success in sales and in the work that you propose it.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #2,233 of 2,680
I am selling my upgraded Havana, including Bendix 6385 and other tubes.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/657908/mhdt-havana-dac-improved-with-high-quality-components-bendix-6385-others

I love this DAC, but I recently find myself dedicating more time playing and writing my own music than listening music from others. I plan to buy an Audio Interface with good Microphone Preamplifiers and Analog to Digital Converters, probably the RME Fireface UCX.

Oh man... I would love to get this ... not sure though...have to check finances. More later...

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #2,234 of 2,680
Looking for usb/spdif converters for havana I felt on this page, the guy changed a part of the metal case by wood, it looks nice, i don't know if it improves the sound though : https://sites.google.com/site/computeraudioorg/mdht-havana-dac-modifications

I also read a discussion on audiogon where a havana owner changed the feets of the case for high end ones and he heard many improvements. He bought very expensive ones (350$) but gave a link for 100 euros ones which should give good results too. I don't find the page back unfortunately.

Regarding me I think I'm going to order vcap cutf for input now as I still don't know if I buy an usb/spdif converter or wait for Munich's fair in may where some new streamers should be presented. I would have prefered to set up my hifi system before making further changes to my havana but I'm not patient enough...
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #2,235 of 2,680
Quote:
I also read a discussion on audiogon where a havana owner changed the feets of the case for high end ones and he heard many improvements. He bought very expensive ones (350$) but gave a link for 100 euros ones which should give good results too. I don't find the page back unfortunately.

I do not know what to say about it. We are very pleased with the quality of the sound provided by this DAC. In some ways it is possible to exaggerate the importance of various changes. Personally I don't think they can compare with the replacement of some capacitors (for example: Black Gate in the digital section, or CuTF on the input/output sections), or with the replacement of tubes, chips, conectors...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back