MHDT Havana DAC
Aug 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #1,981 of 2,680
I have changed how i communicate with the Havana, i have changed from using the coaxial input to using the Toslink input i purchased an Van Den Hul Toslink 2 cable, love it can here more detail in every aspect of the sound.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #1,982 of 2,680
Quote:
I have changed how i communicate with the Havana, i have changed from using the coaxial input to using the Toslink input i purchased an Van Den Hul Toslink 2 cable, love it can here more detail in every aspect of the sound.

Interesting option ..
Havana is extremely sensitive to the power cable, also. I remember for example, when I changed Clearer Audio (Alpha Copper-line) with AudioQuest NRG-5, I felt an immediate improvement in dynamic, sound-stage and details. I had a similar feeling when I changed the transport (hiFace with Legato). Sound has become not only more detailed, but more refined, more naturally expressed! So, I can say that is important also the digital signal quality given by source and transport. All contribute to what makes this converter an excellent option for music playback through the computer, for who uses him as source. If I was asked before five years if it is possible to achieve this quality through computers, It was hard to believe. Havana can compete in this way with any dedicated CD player (I say, on the category 1.500 - 2.500$).

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #1,983 of 2,680
Quote:

Interesting option ..
Havana is extremely sensitive to the power cable, also. I remember for example, when I changed Clearer Audio (Alpha Copper-line) with AudioQuest NRG-5, I felt an immediate improvement in dynamic, sound-stage and details. I had a similar feeling when I changed the transport (hiFace with Legato). Sound has become not only more detailed, but more refined, more naturally expressed! So, I can say that is important also the digital signal quality given by source and transport. All contribute to what makes this converter an excellent option for music playback through the computer, for who uses him as source. If I was asked before five years if it is possible to achieve this quality through computers, It was hard to believe. Havana can compete in this way with any dedicated CD player (I say, on the category 1.500 - 2.500$).

CD player is my means of delivery Quad CDP-2, yes power cables big believer in clean power and power box,s which i have good quality power cables on the Havana makes i big difference.
I tried out three cables before settling on this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-5M-5FT-US-Mains-Power-OFC-Cable-Shield-Cord-IEC-Plug-Turntable-Hi-Fi-CPH2S-/300706745555?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item460384ccd3

With an AU plug combination.

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #1,984 of 2,680
What Coaxial cable are you using?
That's important too.
In theory the Coaxial input should be better than the Optical one. 

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #1,987 of 2,680
Quote:

Did you pull the coaxial jack and replace it with a BNC chassis jack?

Yes, I replace the rca coaxial jack with a BNC chassis jack. I don't agree to use adapters.

@Stephen,
I have said here, to not pollute the forum; the one I bought is indeed Vampire bnc (the model to which you refer).
But, in a previous post, Niamex suggested to try this one: becouse it is better that Vampire- berrilium copper -  http://bg.farnell.com/te-connectivity-amp/5222092-1/jack-bnc-75ohm-rt-a-pcb-au/dp/1831680?Ntt=1831680 -
Now, I don't know what to say..

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #1,988 of 2,680
Parts Connexion has some Vampire bnc pcb connectors. Are these the kind you used? My usb to spdif unit has both bnc and rca outputs and I was thinking I might switch over to bnc. I was reading that a straight coax cable connection is the best for spdif transmission. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #1,989 of 2,680
Quote:

How is the Havana sensitive to the power cables inside the house? and to the female plug on the wall? and to the quality of the Electrical Meter? and the distribution box with all the protection devices? and the cables that go from the Electrical Meter of the house to the Power Transformer on the Street? Have you replaced them? It is all in the same electrical circuit (the secondary of the power transformer on the street) and it is a law that the best possible quality is determined by the worst part of that circuit, no matter how much gold you add to a portion of that circuit 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #1,990 of 2,680
Quote:
How is the Havana sensitive to the power cables inside the house? and to the female plug on the wall? and to the quality of the Electrical Meter? and the distribution box with all the protection devices? and the cables that go from the Electrical Meter of the house to the Power Transformer on the Street? Have you replaced them? It is all in the same electrical circuit (the secondary of the power transformer on the street) and it is a law that the best possible quality is determined by the worst part of that circuit, no matter how much gold you add to a portion of that circuit 
rolleyes.gif

I don't know what to answer you about them, I know only that: for example, with AudioQuest NRG-5  the sound is expressed more natural, with better texture and layering. I directly compared with Clearer Audio - Alpha CopperLine.
Other opinions?

PS: I noticed that late night, supplied by the electricity is cleaner and the result is a superior sound quality. I hope, ..not placebo. Theoretically, the current is not affected by many sources of pollution acting during the day. I don't know how to solve the distribution box with all the protection devices this problem (I living in apartment building).

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #1,991 of 2,680
Quote:
Not sure if serious...

I evaluate the sound after approximately 50-100 hours of burning-in. CuTF certainly changed a lot! The most obvious changes are at dynamics, details, rezolution. The sound becomes more transparent and coherent.
I will return after 250-300 hours with impressions. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Everything will change in 300h of playing... you'll see, you will not recognize the DAC
smile.gif

Robert,
I am absolutely convinced right now, that the stock Havana and the dac changed with what was posted on this forum plus CuTF, are two different DACs (unrecognizable!) Begin to understand what they were saying: in the absence of V-Cap CuTF, .. there is no high end! (saying that, I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy CuTF, just say so: the differences from OIMP's are important for a truly audiophile audition!!).

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #1,992 of 2,680
Quote:
Robert, I am absolutely convinced right now, that the stock Havana and the dac changed with what was posted on this forum plus CuTF, are two different DACs (unrecognizable!) Begin to understand what they were saying: in the absence of V-Cap CuTF, .. there is no high end! (saying that, I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy CuTF, just say so: the differences from OIMP's are important for a truly audiophile audition!!).

No CuTF - no hi-end sound - that's absolutely true statemant, the most effective upgrade of all I made so far, and the most expensive.
mad.gif

There are caps which could probably compete with CuTF,

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_duelund_pio_elec_new.html

they have very good price now , tempting me
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #1,993 of 2,680
Quote:
No CuTF - no hi-end sound - that's absolutely true statemant, the most effective upgrade of all I made so far, and the most expensive.
mad.gif

There are caps which could probably compete with CuTF, just thinking of them :)
http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_duelund_pio_elec_new.html
they have very good price now , tempting me
biggrin.gif

Naturally, as sound CuTF to the first 100 hours burning-in, I wouldn't look for anything... but nothing!
ksc75smile.gif

I keep wondering (you know what I mean here), and it's a shame, because some might to form a bias in this, and wonder: it is Havana that sounds like this!?? Waw...
smile.gif
I am so happy that I chose this path to upgrade to the extreme-mode, I would say, this DAC. Even if these capacitors are not cheap, it fully deserved! Very much.
(Of course, Duelund would be in principle the number one competitor for CuTF, but not interest me; not at this special moment, where I savor the beauty).
Amazing how the sound changed pitch (timbre) from the first moment when I heard for the first time this DAC; and even before the upgrade of output capacitors. Amazing!

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,994 of 2,680
I don't know what to answer you about them, I know only that: for example, with AudioQuest NRG-5  the sound is expressed more natural, with better texture and layering. I directly compared with Clearer Audio - Alpha CopperLine.
Other opinions?

PS: I noticed that late night, supplied by the electricity is cleaner and the result is a superior sound quality. I hope, ..not placebo. Theoretically, the current is not affected by many sources of pollution acting during the day. I don't know how to solve the distribution box with all the protection devices this problem (I living in apartment building).

Its placebo. Everything sounds better late at night when you are tired.

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #1,995 of 2,680
Quote:

Naturally, as sound CuTF to the first 100 hours burning-in, I wouldn't look for anything... but nothing!
ksc75smile.gif

I keep wondering (you know what I mean here), and it's a shame, because some might to form a bias in this, and wonder: it is Havana that sounds like this!?? Waw...
smile.gif
I am so happy that I chose this path to upgrade to the extreme-mode, I would say, this DAC. Even if these capacitors are not cheap, it fully deserved! Very much.
(Of course, Duelund would be in principle the number one competitor for CuTF, but not interest me; not at this special moment, where I savor the beauty).
Amazing how the sound changed pitch (timbre) from the first moment when I heard for the first time this DAC; and even before the upgrade of output capacitors. Amazing!

I think any capacitor you chose to put in above the stock ones supplied would sound better, i chose to replace mine with Jupiter HT round bees wax 2.2uf x 600vdc and love them.
I am glade you love your new capacitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back