MHDT Havana DAC
Jul 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #1,966 of 2,680
That's interesting, thanks for the heads up ... I'm certainly not interested in buying all five of them but if somebody manages to get him to part them out, I'll pitch in on a single unit so as to get two of the chips.

Quick question ... when getting chips from boards like this do you have to solder them directly to the Havana? I wouldn't think they would have legs appropriate for the socket insert, would they?

Thanks ...

.joel

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,967 of 2,680
Quote:

Quick question ... when getting chips from boards like this do you have to solder them directly to the Havana? I wouldn't think they would have legs appropriate for the socket insert, would they?

Thanks ...

.joel

Joel,
When you take the chips out of the board, they have the same legs as new ones. You put them into sockets in Havana and fire..
Some small quantities of tin may stay, but it shouldn't bother....if so, we clean the legs..(pins)

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #1,968 of 2,680
I took out the chips from the control board of Technics SL-P1300 lately. Installed them in the Havana.
These Japanese chips are the brightest and fastest I have ever heard but they are somewhat flat, 
I'm really impressed for the speed and details. Wow...
They are technically better than Korean "K". It is a matter of taste.

Edit:

There is no doubt these "K" on the photo below are the best of PCM56's.

When the system is getting better than Japanese chips start to take charge. :)

I mean the Japanese taken out from vintage CD-player, not the shiits from China sellers from ebay.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #1,969 of 2,680
Hi, considering getting one of these, and sorry for the blockheaded question, but I'm wondering whether the USB and Toslink inputs on the Havana accept a 24/96khz signal. Or is it only coax? Thank you!

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #1,973 of 2,680
Hi all, I'm finally back ! I didn't really have the opportunity to post because of huge mass of work, change of appartement and problems of internet connection... But feel better now, I'm sorry for all those who sent me a pm I'll answer you quick !

And see that you're still improving the Havana
smile.gif
. I didn't have much time to listen to music lately for the same reasons, I'm going to read at the 5 last pages to see if there's something new.

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #1,974 of 2,680
Quote:
To have a long story short V-caps CuTF are the killers. There is no sense to compare them with  Mundorfs.
They sound quite different, control everything much better, Mundorfs sound like an old computer.
V-caps CuTF are extremely opened caps. Unbelievable what they do in the modified Havana.
I know they are bloody expensive but worth every penny !! 0.47uF is quite enough for Havana, they are fast, not slowed by a big capacitance. (bass response is great)
Loserica, Russian silver Micas are great but I think is it a good idea to look for something better.
v-caps ??
biggrin.gif

Hi,
Some pictures of my new output capacitors:
(After several hours of listening I am delighted by the sound of V-Cap CuTF! Beautiful!!
smile.gif
I will return with impressions after lengthy hours of running..)

Thank's Robert for suggestions!

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #1,975 of 2,680
Looks very nice. No doubt these are really hi-end caps (best I know).
Burn-in (play) at least 250-300h !!!
They will open up the soundstage which will be wider and deeper definitely. And the resolution and sound texture will be to die for. 
biggrin.gif

I'm waiting for your impressions after burning-in time period.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #1,976 of 2,680
Quote:
Looks very nice. No doubt these are really hi-end caps (best I know).
Burn-in (play) at least 250-300h !!!
They will open up the soundstage which will be wider and deeper definitely. And the resolution and sound texture will be to die for. 
biggrin.gif

I'm waiting for your impressions after burning-in time period.

Robert,
V-Cap CuTF sounded better than OIMP capacitors (and OIMP's have over 600-800 hours of burn-). I remembered an old post when you said that OIMP's are detailed, have better resolution than stock capacitors, but only that. They lack accurate rendering of the entire frequency spectrum and lack musicality, refinement. It is. First thing I noticed is that CuTF cap's are more detalied from OIMP, they have high bass and treble extension. Human voice has a higher realism and is fuller, more coherent played. Still perceive in sound somewhat a limiting factor, slight roughness, etc...

I hope to be really excited after burning-in time period.
smile.gif

Thank's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back