MHDT Havana DAC
Dec 26, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #1,592 of 2,680
Robert,

With the holiday here, I am just now getting to the transformer upgrade. 

By the way, did you upgrade the RCA audio connectors to WBT? If so, can you help me with the correct WBT part number?  

Lionel

Quote:

Try both values, the sound will differ, and choose the right for you.

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #1,593 of 2,680

Quote:
Robert,

With the holiday here, I am just now getting to the transformer upgrade. 

By the way, did you upgrade the RCA audio connectors to WBT? If so, can you help me with the correct WBT part number?  

Lionel

If I understand your question, I replaced the RCA connectors with WBT Ag (Ms - metal nut), "Next Gen" Pure Silver, female jack. Are the best, but quite expensive.
Their impact is evident in sound, especially in terms of coherence and separation between channels. From what I remember, is affected positively the detail and transparency, also.

But have to buy and silver wire. For example, I choose White silver hook-up wire, by DH LABS (product code, 63006). Is very good!

http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_hookup_dhlabs.html

http://www.wbtusa.com/pages/0210ags.html

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #1,596 of 2,680
Would love to see someone start going after a balanced version. I have to admit, while I love the sound of mine, I'm wondering what's replaceable too in terms of its topology (damn this thread). Here's what I'm thinking (but I'd love some confirmation from someone who might actually know the circuit better):

new tubes
new output caps
new ps caps to replace Nichicon
new trans (is the trans in the balanced version any different from the SE?)

What else? I'm not about to go whole hog and get down to resistors . . .

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #1,597 of 2,680
Hi All, and thanks for all the info, have read every thread from the beginning and compiled a list of everything from a-z, and will post here in a few days in the way of thanks, and for your edits to consistency.

My questions: where do I source the R-Core transformer, where do I source original DAC Japan chips besides old stereos, and where do I source tubes cheaper than some of the referenced depots that seem quite pricey?

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post.

Also, is there one of you that would consider doing the R-Core replacement for me? Or recommend how to find a local electronics shop to do it for me?  I think I can handle most of the caps, etc in solder and such.

My Havana already has oil caps, and some tubes to roll.

Cheers, Z

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #1,598 of 2,680
I believe this is the R-core robeert1 and others have used, but they'd have to confirm. Ratings/specs are the same and the picture looks familiar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320680108067?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #1,599 of 2,680

Quote:
I believe this is the R-core robeert1 and others have used, but they'd have to confirm. Ratings/specs are the same and the picture looks familiar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320680108067?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I confirm, I purchased the r-core from this seller. Due to not serious MHDT's attitude to their clients, I do not have access for the schematics and I can't tell you which r-core transformer will be appropriate for the balanced Havana until I have the DAC in the place.

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #1,600 of 2,680
Thanks folks.  There are so many versions I didn't want to get it wrong.  I understand this is rather dangerous to change, and I have all of your notes.  I haven't soldered for 30+ years, when I repaired a couple car stereos, yet I am pretty steady, and can follow directions.  Do you recommend I do all the mods, including the R-Core myself, or find a shop?  And can you give me an idea what the more dangerous aspects of fiddling in there are?  As in what will kill me or zap me pretty good if I do the wrong thing? 

Cheers!  And Happy New Year.  Z

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #1,601 of 2,680

Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeert1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Due to not serious MHDT's attitude to their clients, I do not have access for the schematics and I can't tell you which r-core transformer will be appropriate for the balanced Havana until I have the DAC in the place.

I think you guys rock for making all the so far mentioned changes to the MHDT Havana DAC. Really, it's inspiring and has very nearly gotten me to purchase some soldering gear (perhaps in time).

But that said...

I also think it's COMPLETELY IDIOTIC for Random User(tm) to repeatedly condemn any sort of successful designer (much less audio circuit designers) for not sharing an exact blue print of his/her (again) very successful and profitable designs.

Is the Coca Cola company crapping on it's clients for not printing the recipe for Coca Cola on it's bottles or providing it to the random inquirer or otherwise who might like to try their hand at making their own drink or in some way bettering the original?

Is the Intel corporation crapping on it's clients or presenting a bad attitude to it's users for choosing not to share the exact details of their nano-processing facilities or the exact design of it's circuitry to those who might like to try their hand at improving the design of the Intel Core i7 CPU?

Both random and off-the-cuff examples but in each case I think the answer should be, "No. I think not."

So (referencing the above quoted text) why IN THE WORLD would you claim that the MHDT design team is exhibiting a "bad attitude" by refusing to supply an exact schematic of their very successful and pretty much universally lauded Havana DAC to you Robeert1 or any other random hack/user.

It makes no sense and it absolutely raises my ire to hear it.

Sheez, man...I say good on them for refusing you!  I wouldn't share it with you either!

Not because I don't like you; and, not because I don't appreciate your (admittedly) respectable efforts but, much to the contrary, because I'm a designer myself (visual/software interface) and I also run a business...and no. Sorry. You cannot borrow my exact designs to use in your own efforts, personal, professional or otherwise...either to replicate said designs exactly or to somehow seek to better my design. I can help you learn to design. I can provide all sorts of tips regarding the ins and outs of the visual design process, I can inspire you possibly...but no way am I going to give you an exact blue print or, perhaps more importantly, free license to use said blue print (schematic) at your leisure. I designed it. I'm proud of it. It's my work. It was a personal effort and something I spent a great deal of time developing; I am connected with it in a personal, professional and perhaps even spiritual way ... so regarding your request for the Whole Enchilada(tm) as they say?  

I would say, "Eat me. It's mine. It's made me a crap ton of money and no way am I going to just throw it out to the random requester."

MHDT Labs (Juin and others) have been BEYOND generous in dealing with me over the years: loaning me DACs for review, loaning our Houston Head-fi user group DACs for use at multiple local meets...lightly discussing many of the unpublished aspects of their various gear and being more than reasonable in working with me (and others I know on payment and pricing).  

You should be grateful that MHDT (as you've mentioned in the past) has been cordial enough to field some of your previous questions regarding mods and what not. They didn't have to do that either, you know.

Shoosh!  The nerve.

[/end rant]

Now.

That said.

I hope you keep inspiring us (all of you). I think what you guys are doing with the Havana is super freakin' awesome.

Yours in proud design standards,
.joel

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #1,602 of 2,680
I was wanting to upgrade my dac from HRT Stream 2+ so I picked up a Havana that should be coming in tomorrow.
In anticipation I ordered 2 "K" level dacs(PCM56P-K) from Arrow which is an authorized seller for TI(who bought burr brown).

My question is why were the MHDT folks saying this chip was discontinued in Jan of 2009 in a review?
seems its still in production and you can buy from authorized sellers like Arrow, Newar or Mouser.
Did they do it just so they could start putting in L or J chips in dacs?

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #1,603 of 2,680

Quote:
I was wanting to upgrade my dac from HRT Stream 2+ so I picked up a Havana that should be coming in tomorrow.
In anticipation I ordered 2 "K" level dacs(PCM56P-K) from Arrow which is an authorized seller for TI(who bought burr brown).

My question is why were the MHDT folks saying this chip was discontinued in Jan of 2009 in a review?
seems its still in production and you can buy from authorized sellers like Arrow, Newar or Mouser.
Did they do it just so they could start putting in L or J chips in dacs?

I do not really know what pushed MHDT using the lowest possible quality DACs (L grade) in their products.
I suppose they were the cheapest like all the rest of the components of the Havana is made of.

I know Sirrah that cheap can sound pretty damn good.

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #1,604 of 2,680

Quote:

But that said...

Totally agree again Joel, and great post.
Really, I can't see the point of asking again for the schematics of the Havana. When you buy a product you agree to company terms, which DOES NOT include the schematics for it.

There's a plethora of open designs: you can get one of them, modify it, upgrade it...but the Havana is NOT an open design. And they don't claim it either.

The Coke example is perfect: you can't blame them because they are using cheap ingredients or because they don't want to share them with you...that's just childish, sorry.

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #1,605 of 2,680

Quote:
Totally agree again Joel, and great post.
Really, I can't see the point of asking again for the schematics of the Havana. When you buy a product you agree to company terms, which DOES NOT include the schematics for it.

There's a plethora of open designs: you can get one of them, modify it, upgrade it...but the Havana is NOT an open design. And they don't claim it either.

The Coke example is perfect: you can't blame them because they are using cheap ingredients or because they don't want to share them with you...that's just childish, sorry.

Let's make it all clear.
We do not need the schematic of the Havana any more. We have already managed to get rid of the shiit quality built-in op-amp out of the circuit and
we all respect the rights for private "brilliant MHDT's no op-amp constructions",
I'm just being objective, nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back