MHDT Havana DAC
Dec 30, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #1,606 of 2,680

ote:
Well gang,

At this point I have already upgraded a lot in my Havana and have 90% of the remaining parts on the way. I have information about the voltage regulators so I can feel confident in upgrading those as well.

I'm pretty much done here, you guys have fun.

Cheers!!!

uote:

Let's make it all clear.
We do not need the schematic of the Havana any more. We have already managed to get rid of the shiit quality built-in op-amp out of the circuit and
we all respect the rights for private "brilliant MHDT's no op-amp constructions",
I'm just being objective, nothing else.

Robeert1: it is not a public design. You should spend three months (minimim) flailing yourself afor thinking that MHDT should send you the truth of their designs.

You have things to learn. Obviously.

So wait in line like the rest of us.

And your "shiit quality" comment is really sad. (I even want to sympathize with you cause your so off base) (really, I don't know what happened with you but I have time to hear about it).

I'll type more once I'm free to type such and once I think it's worth typing.

Otherwise? Till then?

I digress.

A sad designer is trying to place his sadness upon the rest of us...

Bless.

.joel

Dec 31, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #1,607 of 2,680
Sirrah,

We are the clients of MHDT, we buy their products, we let them exist however,
without our support MHDT is gone,  worth nothing along with their designs.
We don't have to stay in line and wait, we'll just stop buying their products.

>> You have things to learn. Obviously.

Man learns all his life,  what I have learnt so far is the respect for someone who gives
you existance.
We sent them several emails asking about the schematic, did not get ANY answers,
MHDT neglect us all, so please stop taking their side and stop telling us that we should learn something
or wait for something in lines we don't even need yet.

Happy New Year Guys

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #1,608 of 2,680

Quote:
Sirrah,

We are the clients of MHDT, we buy their products, we let them exist however,
without our support MHDT is gone,  worth nothing along with their designs.
We don't have to stay in line and wait, we'll just stop buying their products.

>> You have things to learn. Obviously.

Man learns all his life,  what I have learnt so far is the respect for someone who gives
you existance.
We sent them several emails asking about the schematic, did not get ANY answers,
MHDT neglect us all, so please stop taking their side and stop telling us that we should learn something
or wait for something in lines we don't even need yet.

Happy New Year Guys

The line between consumer and producer is defined by: "We are the clients of MHDT".

I agree and it really is as simple as you indicate.

MHDT is a company.

You, on the other hand, are an individual human.

A company, with proven ideas and designs does not owe you any thing.

You should get a pet or something. 

Cause a company does not cater to your whim.

Good luck with that.

.joel

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #1,609 of 2,680

Quote:
How did I get dragged into this.....
confused_face_2.gif

It's a good thing to get dragged in to, mate. Count your blessings...

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #1,610 of 2,680
Joel,
Once again, MHDT doesn't owe me anything, me and my friends just gently asked them for a schematic, did not get any reply,
I guessed they were not willing to give it to us for some reasons.
We do not need it now !

What is all the fuss about?

Cheers,

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #1,611 of 2,680

Quote:
Joel,
Once again, MHDT doesn't owe me anything, me and my friends just gently asked them for a schematic, did not get any reply,
I guessed they were not willing to give it to us for some reasons.

Yes, the reason is THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO.
I'll tell you how things work with economics and capitalism, it will apply to EU, US, and China as well: customers buy a ready made product, sellers have they profit. Period.

MHDT never claimed their design is open, they have spent time (which means money) designing their DACs, they have the right not to share the schematics with customers.
It doesn't matter how gently you ask for them, they are not required to give them.
You bought a PRODUCT, not a PROJECT or the idea behind it.

Happy new year :)

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #1,612 of 2,680

Realmassy:

It's a very nice to have well educated people like you on this forum, knowing economy, understanding capitalism's rights etc.
I would never discover that myself, all I have to do is to thank you for your post.

Quote:

Yes, the reason is THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO.
I'll tell you how things work with economics and capitalism, it will apply to EU, US, and China as well: customers buy a ready made product, sellers have they profit. Period.

MHDT never claimed their design is open, they have spent time (which means money) designing their DACs, they have the right not to share the schematics with customers.
It doesn't matter how gently you ask for them, they are not required to give them.
You bought a PRODUCT, not a PROJECT or the idea behind it.

Happy new year :)

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #1,614 of 2,680
Thanks to everyone for sharing your mods and enthusiasm. It seems this thread has perhaps lost it way from the reasons why we were attracted to the Havana in the first place. 

So to change pace a bit, I was wondering if some mods sacrifice the natural strengths (musicality, midrange, seductiveness) of the Havana. I want to upgrade some key parts from a quality point of view but still keep the authentic Havana sound. For example, some have changed the .47uf cap next to C5 to a 100uf to get better bass response. Juin even commented on this change. However, there must be a trade-off to this increased bass. What is that trade-off?

Also, I don't understand Juin's explanation 'critical use' for the c5 and c25 caps. Can anyone explain what they do and why they are not needed? Some took them out but found the sound thin. 

My Havana (8 months ago) came stock with the silver mica cap like the new balanced one has and also the j grade Korea chips.

Currenty, I feel the output caps are a safe mod in tweaking the sound. After trying many caps, Scott Faller prefers bypassing original caps with Vitamen Q PIOs. I have decided to go with V-caps 2uf OIMPs but bypass them with .1uf CuFTs. Chris reccomends bypassing OIMPs. That combo will fit (size) nicely in the dac. 

What other key mods would you reccomend to improve the Havana but not take away from the seductive musicality or whatever else that may have attracted you to MHDT's products in the first place? 

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #1,615 of 2,680
Orangecrush,

<<I want to upgrade some parts but still keep the Havana sound.
If you are not prepared for big changes in the sound reproduction don't start tweaking it.
My advice: safe mod is replacing the tube (bendix or JWWE396a) and chips with "K" grade.

<<I have decided to go with V-caps 2uf OIMPs but bypass them with .1uf CuFTs.
Output caps are not safe mod, I remember that horror when I replaced them with V-caps OIMP.

<<<What other key mods would you reccomend to improve the Havana but not take away from the seductive sound/midrange or whatever else that may have attracted you to it in the first place?
No mods at all.

don't remove c5 unless you start with BG caps or r-core transformer.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #1,616 of 2,680
Thanks Robert. I appreciate your experience with the Havana. I am not surprised by your findings with the OIMP. Several people have reacted the same way even with other gear. Chris strongly recommends the OIMP be used with CuFT or TFTF bypass caps. I have heard this combo in another DIY project of a friend, and the result was magical. That is also why some prefer bypassing the stock Havana cap with Vitamen Q's. Scott Faller likes this much better than the V-caps. However, I think bypassing the OIMP with CuFT's would be a very worthy experiment. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,618 of 2,680

Quote:
Thanks Robert. I appreciate your experience with the Havana. I am not surprised by your findings with the OIMP. Several people have reacted the same way even with other gear. Chris strongly recommends the OIMP be used with CuFT or TFTF bypass caps. I have heard this combo in another DIY project of a friend, and the result was magical. That is also why some prefer bypassing the stock Havana cap with Vitamen Q's. Scott Faller likes this much better than the V-caps. However, I think bypassing the OIMP with CuFT's would be a very worthy experiment. 

The V-caps OIMP are good caps, better than the stock ones, first of all - I heard better resolution with them, more details, but there was no magic, too bright for me, artificial timbre, maybe used with another configuration they could show the high class.

<<< I think bypassing the OIMP with CuFT's would be a very worthy experiment.
I think it surely would, try to do it if you can and post your impressions.

Jan 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #1,619 of 2,680

Quote:
The V-caps OIMP are good caps, better than the stock ones, first of all - I heard better resolution with them, more details, but there was no magic, too bright for me, artificial timbre, maybe used with another configuration they could show the high class.

<<< I think bypassing the OIMP with CuFT's would be a very worthy experiment.
I think it surely would, try to do it if you can and post your impressions.

Robert, how many hours have been run V-Cap OIMP?, ...because you say that you have noticed an artificial timbre. Naturally not be so... However, I think that Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold are very good capacitors, and I think that in your ears and in your audio-setup, Mundorf are superior in the aspects mentioned! For me it is now demanding to replace OIMP with Supreme...
smile.gif

But points out once again how important it is changing stock parts in Havana with others qualitatively superior, how important is running completely of capacitors, and last but not least, the quality of digital signal and source! Very, very important.
How much can be opened Havana in terms of transparency, detail, sound-stage, not to mention the dynamic, resolution, decay or audio-layering! Very nice.

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,620 of 2,680

Quote:
Robert, how many hours have been run V-Cap OIMP?, ...because you say that you have noticed an artificial timbre. Naturally not be so... However, I think that Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold are very good capacitors, and I think that in your ears and in your audio-setup, Mundorf are superior in the aspects mentioned! For me it is now demanding to replace OIMP with Supreme...
smile.gif

But points out once again how important it is changing stock parts in Havana with others qualitatively superior, how important is running completely of capacitors, and last but not least, the quality of digital signal and source! Very, very important.
How much can be opened Havana in terms of transparency, detail, sound-stage, not to mention the dynamic, resolution, decay or audio-layering! Very nice.

Mundorfs S/G are superior to Vcaps OIMP  to my ears, but you may prefer Vcaps, Jensens or another. Your system is quite different and sounds quite different and your preferences may be different.
I can only say havana needs upgrades to sound excellent, and you decide when to stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back