MHDT Havana DAC
Jan 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #1,096 of 2,680
[size=x-small]Here is some more info about the bendix:[/size]
[size=x-small]The Bendix Red Bank TE-21 is a 2C51 type dual triode that was produced exclusively by a division of Bendix Aviation during the late '50s and early '60s. It was manufactured solely for the military and was an integral part of the on-board guidance circuitry for ICBMs. [/size][size=x-small]Every TE-21 p[/size][size=x-small]roduced was tested for 100 hours[/size][size=x-small] run-in. [/size][size=x-small]under various overload vibration and shock conditions likely to be encountered in service[/size][size=x-small], and had to match sections exactly, before it was allowed out the door.[/size][size=x-small]The cost, to the government, of every tube produced is estimated to be in excess of $250 (1950s dollars.) In the true cold war, M.A.D. dark humor of the era, the TE-21 was nicknamed the "Commie Smasher" by the plant employees at Red Bank, NJ. It's the only triode whose data sheet graphs characteristics at different altitudes and temperatures (an important consideration in a missile), as well as warm-up time (45 seconds) and minimum service life (10,000 hours.) It has a transconductance of nearly twice any other commercially produced tube of its type. Its amplification factor is in excess of 40 -- versus a factor of 35 for the standard 2C51.....[/size][size=x-small]The tube is higher than standard 2c51 and built like a tank. [/size][size=x-small]Heater cycling - life test - 3000 on-off.[/size]

[size=x-small]That was also from the friend of mine. As far as I know there were some quantities produced later - may be 70's but do not spend money for it.[/size]
[size=x-small]Cheers[/size]

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #1,097 of 2,680

Quote:
I am quoting a friend of mine who knows all about the matter -

[size=x-small]bendix 19[/size][size=x-small]64 is more real than JW396a, tighter and deeper bass;[/size]
[size=x-small]if you look something what will definitely beat the JW396a from 50's, than for look for bendix 6385 rtma from 50's; (genuine tube, best ever produced of this type) - that is a reply to REALMASSY[/size]

I really don't know, technically. But it sounds good ... and so, I'd go with your suggestion.

I mean, really ... couldn't hurt (long as one is long in the tooth/coin and all) ... 

(BWAHAHAHAHHAHA!)

:wink:

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #1,099 of 2,680
blink.gif

I pulled the trigger on that Bendix...I hope I'll end my tube rolling soon :-O

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #1,101 of 2,680
Hmm, been reading these threads about the MHDT kit for a while now. I am considering getting a paradisea 3. I would get the havana but that's really out of my budget. Paradisea is already stretching it. 

I can't audition this one though. I tried a Musical fidelity M1 in my setup, which sounds pretty good. But on fast tracks it's just a tad bit too slow for my liking and I'd really love to get back into tubes. Tube rolling used to be alot of fun with my now gone Darkvoice 336. Right now my setup sounds a little congested I've tried multiple amps and speakers and nothing really sounds quite right. So I figured this must be the dac.. Project USB box, I think I really regret buying this one, the usb box.

any opinions on this upgrade path? I don't think I can go wrong with a dac upgrade. Scared customs will catch it though and add 2x 20%. Anyone care to share some of their opinions on this?

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #1,102 of 2,680

Quote:
Hmm, been reading these threads about the MHDT kit for a while now. I am considering getting a paradisea 3. I would get the havana but that's really out of my budget. Paradisea is already stretching it. 

I can't audition this one though. I tried a Musical fidelity M1 in my setup, which sounds pretty good. But on fast tracks it's just a tad bit too slow for my liking and I'd really love to get back into tubes. Tube rolling used to be alot of fun with my now gone Darkvoice 336. Right now my setup sounds a little congested I've tried multiple amps and speakers and nothing really sounds quite right. So I figured this must be the dac.. Project USB box, I think I really regret buying this one, the usb box.

any opinions on this upgrade path? I don't think I can go wrong with a dac upgrade. Scared customs will catch it though and add 2x 20%. Anyone care to share some of their opinions on this?

I never listened to the Paradisea, but from what I read I don't think it will be a good match if you're looking for something faster than the M1.
Maybe a good SS Dac?

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #1,103 of 2,680

Quote:
Let us know about your impressions after the tube burning time /may be even the first raw sound/

Of course!
Can't wait to try it. I never spent all this money on a single tube..hope everything will be OK with the seller: I sent him an email yesterday but I got no reply yet...
confused_face(1).gif

EDIT: just got a reply, the Bendix will be shipped out tomorrow!
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,104 of 2,680
I have both, The havana is less tubey but more detailed...I bought them both used and put new tubes in them (cyro NOS bendix or 396s)

I could never go back to non audio grade DACs now - they sound dead and terrible to me.  I fricking love the MHDT stuff.  I am sure other high end DACs are good too.

I have a Havana with Salk Signature speakers right now and it wrecks my non MHDT build so bad I dont even want to listen to it...buy them used - if you dont like it resell it - they sell in a day or two on the 'gon

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #1,105 of 2,680

Quote:
I have both, The havana is less tubey but more detailed...I bought them both used and put new tubes in them (cyro NOS bendix or 396s)

I could never go back to non audio grade DACs now - they sound dead and terrible to me.  I fricking love the MHDT stuff.  I am sure other high end DACs are good too.

I have a Havana with Salk Signature speakers right now and it wrecks my non MHDT build so bad I dont even want to listen to it...buy them used - if you dont like it resell it - they sell in a day or two on the 'gon

Awesome.

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #1,106 of 2,680
I'm glad to hear MHDT labs finally released a balanced version.
That was the one thing I wish my Havana was, balanced.

Too bad their website is down.  I would really like to see photos of it.

Edit:  Saw it on e-bay.
Cool!

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #1,107 of 2,680

Quote:
I

That's with sure but tweaked is even better.  Just for example do you thig the yellow brother will

sing as the Clarity Cap ? I've replaced all of them
bigsmile_face.gif

Cheers

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #1,109 of 2,680
Qte
loserica
Please, tell me step by step, which model of capacitors have been asambled instead of input (0,01u/1Kv), and if you look inside my Havana dac, what I can replace?
unqte

Nice looking Vcaps from my friend Chris, one day I will get them as well. I do not know how far you dear to go but it is a long story. Everything has started with David from DMS audio -  http://www.dms-audio.com/havana-dac-mods  and not finished yet. I promise to make a detailed report of the mod after I complete it. Will be in a separate issue - but really long one. At the moment the Havana is breaking up the big output caps  /really big ones/ - sorry for the poor foto -

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #1,110 of 2,680
Got in the mail the Bendix yesterday! perfectly packed and good communication by the ebay seller.
Two things stand out: the tube is taller than the stock one, and it's really dark (glow less), I can barely say that the dac is on.
I played some music for a couple of hours, and difference is quite obvious: man this tube is creamy! Greater harmonic richness, especially at lower listening volume. Tonally seems to be slightly warmer than the stock, but it's probably due to the smooooth top end. Honestly I can't wait to came back home and listen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back