MHDT Havana DAC
Jan 8, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #1,081 of 2,680

Quote:

Sorry I have not answered yet.
V-Cap sound has improved noticeably. Basically, the two capacitors have cost me about $ 132 without transport, but it was worth. The differences with the stock capacitors are especially visible at the level of transparency, texture, sound separation and resolution. The sound is open ... Before instaling V-Cap capacitors, I compared Havana with a Dyi converter of a friend and I noticed something that Havana sounds dark on medium and high frecvents. Transparency! Even the Lavry DA10 I liked more than Havana in this chapter. As vocal, Havana is superior without question, but classical music felt differences. Lavry have a brighter sound.
After about 100-150 hours of listening to mount V-Cap capacitors felt a change in the sense that I liked Havana increasingly more. Same effect as when I changed the tube (with WE396A).
I use Havana with a solid state amplifier DIY "eXStatA" based on discrete circuits and a pair of electrostatic STAX SR-404LE "Limited Edition". At this level can honestly say that she felt any change in sound: which may come from the output capacitors, tube, power filter, interconnections,...

Just curious:   if you can't go back and A-B it to the original components how do you know that the V-cap sound is improving or is even better, maybe you're just getting used to it over time?  <--- just asking

Did you make any recordings of the original sound that you can compare with the new V-cap sound?    http://www.libinst.com/Audio%20DiffMaker.htm

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #1,082 of 2,680
I feel the diferences in the first audition. It must be very prepared to hear that. 
I say as we did. I heard Havana with a speaker setup for about an hour, may be two hour. I compared with a converter (DYI) made by a friend. Here we have the selector switch quickly, becouse both were conected to the source. 
After I changed the capacitors, we made comparative audition again. Diferences between the two converters have decreased now. Havana, which sounds slightly dark before it was opened. It became bright. This is the improvement that I thought was significant. 
Same thing heppened to my setup at home on headphones (actually electrostatics). I immediately felt a slight improvement. Now, everyone can decide if it's worth the price paid. I said firmly, yes!! I heaven't taken after rewiew sites on the net, they flood the pages. I was guided by experience and comparative time audition.
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #1,084 of 2,680
Please do.  The Havana has earned a formidable reputation on the internet and I have my sights aimed at the balanced unit.  When I run my solid state NOS dac through my tube amp the synergy is quite exquisite.  Perhaps a tube balanced DAC can replace my valve amp? 

I find details where I listen for details...in the midrange body and in this respect I hear more details in my NOS dac than my hi-end DS dac...even though, granted, the hi-end unit has significant greater detailing in an area of the frequency response where I do not seek for details.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #1,085 of 2,680
Still listening to the new toy, after a few changes I made to the setup.
I've changed the transport, as I had the feeling the Sonos player was the bottle neck. I'm now using my fanless netbook with Linux Voyage. The system uses a real-time kernel, the latest version of MPD, an SSD for the OS, it's wired to the router and all my music is stored on a NAS. I'm using the USB connection into the Havana.
I then placed the dac on a granite platform with sorbothane feet, the same I'm using for the Woo amp.

With this setup the USB connection sounds different from the SPDIF of the Sonos, definitely not worse.
The sound now is more "live", still smooth, but with improved dynamics and faster transients: the differences are not night and day but noticeable.

What strikes me most about the Havana is how easy is on the ears, even with very complex music, like Brahms or Tchaikovsky symphonies.
I'm not a big fan for example of Karajan, which is supposed to be one of the greatest conductors of Tchaikovsky, but I always hated the sound of many recordings of him, very dry, huge stage...not the intimate presentation I like. Well, it's maybe the enthusiasm for the new dac, but so far I'm enjoying them. 
And I rediscovered some organ works by Handel I didn't listen to since I sold the Ref.5: the Valab simply couldn't handle them.
The Havana may not be the most detailed source on the market, but has a fantastic timbre (though as I said before I'm not entirely happy with the piano)  and harmonic richness.

I've also rolled the power tube on my Woo, to balance the sound: the 5998 I used to use was a good match with the raw sound of the Valab, while the GEC 6080 is slightly leaner and refined. I've lost some depth in the stage, which is now less 3D,

So I have to carefully choose the tube I want to use on the Havana, I don't want to loose any magic :)

And probably next week I will get a pair of DT880, 600ohm, completely different signature from my HD650.
I still have to test the Havana with the other headphone amp I have, the Earmax, with its wonderful midrange.

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #1,086 of 2,680
That's my recent upgrade - I have almost completed it /there is a lot on the bottom as well/. Ready to share experience if someone is interested. The DAC is jumping into the next category !
Cheers,
/Thanks to sirrah for his posts - they made me a fan of Havana/
Cheers,
Ignat

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #1,087 of 2,680
@RealMassy:

Re: Detail ... agreed, there are more clinically detailed DACs out there ...

However, try this for an interesting change in dynamics (also, just a highly favorable tube in the Havana):

6385 type 396A (2C51 or 5670)Bendix Red Bank military, labeled 2C51 MATCHED PAIR
New old stock, original box. A very scarce, out of production, high-frequency dual triode. These are the ultra-rare Red Bank series made by Bendix for the military. This 396A variant has internal shielding and a 10,000 hour rated heater. Totally plug and play compatible with the 396A, 2C51, and 5670. Awesome sonics, and fast becoming extinct! One tube has a Bendix label with the Bendix Red Bank logo. SINGLE TUBES ARE $100.00 EACH.
$200.00 per pair

:wink:

http://www.audiotubes.com/audtube.htm

(I'm not real familiar with that seller; was just the first page that came up in a search; it can be difficult to find the Bendix 6385 but at 100 bucks for a NOS Bendix Red Bank (military use) 6385, it's almost a bargain.)

I'd be curious to  hear if your impressions are favorable or  non. I've really wanted to buy another one but  haven't had the coin and am completely enjoying the JW branded 396A tube that I've had in the Havana for a couple years. Either will run you about 100 bucks or more but definitely a worthwhile investment.

Best.

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,088 of 2,680
Hi S1rrah,
and thanks for helping to spend my money :)

I haven't updated my impressions, mostly because I've been very deep into the music..less audiophile, more musicophile! Cheers for that, Havana!

A few changes in my setup: I moved my rack in a different corner, changed the power cord and replaced the feet with Soundcare ones. The difference is pretty obvious with deeper stage and more precise separation of layer.
I haven't tried tube rolling (yet), but the Havana is very responsive to tweaks....I may try the fuse rolling in the future :wink:

One of my test recordings is a Mozart's Bassoon concerto by the Chamber Orchestra of Europe: it's not a perfect recording, but the music is lovely.
The bassoon slightly on the left, very close to the audience, while the orchestra is in the background. This kind of separation is so "clean", obvious, the orchestra is not blurry... bassoon right in front of you, physical, full of harmonics, warm...and the orchestra in the background, playing its music, and you can hear every note, without loosing focus on the solo instrument. That's the sort of detail I'm looking for, life-like detail...And that's what the Havana delivers. Not players turning their sheet music, if you know what I mean. That sort of detail is just clinical and keep your mind away from music.

Bear in mind I'm still using the USB connection, but I'm planning to build a music server with a ESI Juli@ soundcard. 
I also have a WE396 coming soon: it's not the JW version unfortunately, and as far as I understand this is a warm, sweet tube.  Maybe not the perfect match...but it was cheap! I'll keep in mind your suggestion (unfortunately the 6385 is not in stock right now), as well as the JJ 6386.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #1,093 of 2,680

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/bendix-6385-396a-5670-6cc42-/290517887394 - that is the real tube - no label 2c51
Cheers

Had I the money to burn and were I not completely pleased with my current JW396A, I'd jump on that in a second. NOS Red Bank 6385's are very rare and usually sell for even more than that. TubeWorld.com had one recently that was selling for 400 bucks (some whiz bang super "Cryo" thing). Would love to have that tube frome Ebay, though. And all the branding is still visible; that's pretty rad.

Text search on "6385" at this page:

https://www.tubeworld.com/6005.htm

He's got a pair of 1959 (!!!) Bendix 6385's for 750 dollars. Anyone want to go in on the set?

:wink:

JK.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #1,095 of 2,680
I am quoting a friend of mine who knows all about the matter -

[size=x-small]bendix 19[/size][size=x-small]64 is more real than JW396a, tighter and deeper bass;[/size]
[size=x-small]if you look something what will definitely beat the JW396a from 50's, than for look for bendix 6385 rtma from 50's; (genuine tube, best ever produced of this type) - that is a reply to REALMASSY[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back