MHDT Havana DAC
Oct 16, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #1,051 of 2,680

Quote:
Can someone describe how the Havana sounds with classical musical, especially with large orchestra and symphonic works?
I'm very very tempted by this dac, being a Valab owner.
I like the signature of the Valab, but with large orchestral works it shows some limits: distortion and congested soundstage.
I'm wondering if that is something typical of NOS dacs, or is an issue with the Valab implementation.

I can't really comment re: Valab. Sorry.

I do happen to listen to classical (orchestral/chamber/small room/big venue/opera/etc) quite a bit. I'm also, while I'm at it, a huge fan of personally visiting live performances of said music genre's here in Houston.

That said, ... I find nothing but good things in regards to the Havana's reproduction of such works.

True. I listen to Indie, Alt Country, Sludge metal, Post Punk and a bunch of other more less defined genres ... but Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Handel, Schubert, Grossman, Mendelson, Brahms, YO YO ma, Perlman, Schumann, Brainin, etc ... *all* sound disgustingly good out of the Havana DAC. I have no complaints. What's more? Said sorts of music sound organic and real ... not only spacious and true to any given recording ... but *natural* ... be it "woody" ... "brassy" ... "tinny" or "harmonic" ...; it sounds like a live performance. I have especially noted how glorious major choral works (Jesu Meine Freude, etc.) sound through the Havana. 

But I digress ... 

Buy one. If you don't like it (the Havana), you won't have any problem selling it for near it's asking price either here or on Audiogon.

Buene Suerte!

.s1rrah. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #1,059 of 2,680
Funny but they have replaced some caps /with silver mica/ and the resistors around the tubes exactly as in our mods with David of dms-audio.com ? Seems we were on the right side
bigsmile_face.gif
You better follow up !

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #1,060 of 2,680

Quote:
 In the next month i'm planing to upgrade my Havana with best parts available on the market. I want to replace all electrolytic caps with BlackGates (very rare and expesnsive, unfortunately), all film caps (thinking about Jupiter HT for output, and mundorf gold/silver/oil for input - also very expensive) and some resistors (on critical locations), plus a better fuse (furutech or hi-fi tunning) and maybe a teflon tube socket
wink.gif
, all of this will rise the price of Havana for about 50%
Will see how it turns out.

Please share some impressions in case you have realized your ambitious project, I am still slowly but surely replacing the stock caps and resistors - one at a time - for the time being still improving the sound. Would go same way as you have described even trying to see what happens if I separate the PS from the mainboard and install another toroidal transformer for separation of the analog from digital section ?
Cheers,
Ignat

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #1,061 of 2,680
I finally got the Havana!
I've found it used here in Europe, at a good price. Finger crossed :)
I've been thinking about the Havana and the Satch dac for a few months, and I'll probably build the Satch anyway, but I was so interested in trying the Havana that I couldn't pass on this.

I'm now going to read the 71 pages of this thread 
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #1,062 of 2,680

Quote:
I finally got the Havana!
I've found it used here in Europe, at a good price. Finger crossed :)
I've been thinking about the Havana and the Satch dac for a few months, and I'll probably build the Satch anyway, but I was so interested in trying the Havana that I couldn't pass on this.

I'm now going to read the 71 pages of this thread 
biggrin.gif

Congrats ... post some thoughts once you've acquainted yourself with it.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #1,063 of 2,680

Quote:
Congrats ... post some thoughts once you've acquainted yourself with it.

I will!
Unfortunately I will get it on January as I'm going on holiday now...that's why I crossing my fingers..I hope everything will be fine with the transaction.
And you s1rrah...you're one of those to blame for my purchase (just kidding) Your thoughts and impressions about this dac have been so convincing, especially when I aked about classical music.

And I've noticed that many of the users that posted their impressions in this thred are still using this dac, and they're still listing it in their signature. This is something reassuring.

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #1,064 of 2,680
Let us know how your Halide Bridge benefits it too.

And have nice holiday
floatsmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back