MHDT Havana DAC
May 13, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #961 of 2,680

Quote:Hi DarKu, If I want to change the 'stock fuse' of Havana,then which type & specification of fuse to be replaced?
Slow glow or fast glow? For what Amps? Please let me know. Thank you.
Cheers.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Padawan, to be fair I have to say that I don't own one of the MHDT's right now, but I can tell you what quality you can expect of some tubes.

Yes used tubes are ok if you find a reliable source, but it depends on some factors. Is the tube hard to find and expensive or not? Is it tested? What ever you do, there is a risk remaining on it, especially if you buy it from eBay.

JAN GE 5670(W), Sylvania 2C51, RCA 5670;
Are good, long lasting and cheap tubes of acceptable quality for many HiFi products.

WE 396A, Raytheon 396A;
Are very good tubes, higher quality and also higher priced.

Tung-Sol 2C51;
Is from a running production in Russia, better than the Chinese products, cheap and reliable.

Ericsson 386A (Goldpin), Sylvania 5670 (Goldpin), Bendix 6385 (red bank);
Are extremely good audiophile tubes, very expensive and rare.

The sound of that tubes depends on the circuitry of the device and also the remaining audio chain and it's interaction. The acoustic impression is mostly different by individual tastes.

I'd say that JW WE396A and JJ 6386 are the best available tubes for the Havana, i also recommend to change the stock fuse with a better one like hi-fi tuning fuse or furutech

May 14, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #964 of 2,680

Quote:Hi s1rrah, Have you replaced the stock fuse in Havana with HiFI Tuning for what specification? Slow glow? Amps?
Please let me know. Thank you.
Cheers. 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the verdict of which the direction the fuse is as displayed or otherwise...?

Yes. I found that as displayed above sounded the best for me.

The Hi Fi Tuning folks say to try it both ways and go with whatever polarity your ear prefers ...

BTW: if you confirm classphile's findings on the Jupiter caps, I'll be the next in line to mod mine as well. Especially if it tightens the bass up a tad. I dig the bass in the Havana stock, but with the Raptor amp, it can get a little too "big" sounding with my GS1000's ... with my Shure 840's and any other cans I have laying around (K701's, etc.) it's perfect but since my GS1000's are my primary listening cans, it would be nice if I could "voice" my rig towards them mostly.

But as my reluctance to mod the Havana further should already indicate, ... I'm loving the DAC's (mostly) stock sound and am reluctant to mess with something that almost totally satisfies me.

Do a little write up once you get your new caps installed.

Rock on.

.joel

May 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #965 of 2,680
Yes ... I did replace the fuse with the HI Fi Tuning variety. I don't recall the exact fuse I used but I do remember I went off of what was written on the PCB/circuit board, just beneath the fuse. Also, I think there is mention of it in this thread somewhere ...

Best.
.joel

May 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #966 of 2,680
UPDATE: You want the "Hi Fi Tuning Fuse SLOW 400ma" ... just did  a search of the thread and found it ...

May 14, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #967 of 2,680
I received my HiFi tuning fuse today and I can definitely say it made a positive impact. Who would have thought fuses made a difference before joining Head-Fi? :wink: What surprised me the most though was how the orientation of the fuse affected the outcome of the sound signature. I prefer the fuse mounted with the arrow pointing towards the acrylic panel. The other way around rendered my system sounding relatively “thin”. It somehow lost a bit of the round and warm characteristics which make the Havana fun to listen to.  The midrange however became clearer when having the fuses mounted with the arrow pointing towards the rear panel. And the sound got a little wider, or well not so “centered”.

Capacitors next? : P

May 14, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #968 of 2,680

Quote:
I received my HiFi tuning fuse today and I can definitely say it made a positive impact. Who would have thought fuses made a difference before joining Head-Fi? :wink: What surprised me the most though was how the orientation of the fuse affected the outcome of the sound signature. I prefer the fuse mounted with the arrow pointing towards the acrylic panel. The other way around rendered my system sounding relatively “thin”. It somehow lost a bit of the round and warm characteristics which make the Havana fun to listen to.  The midrange however became clearer when having the fuses mounted with the arrow pointing towards the rear panel. And the sound got a little wider, or well not so “centered”.

Capacitors next? : P

orig.jpg

May 14, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #969 of 2,680
Well, I switched back and forth so that is a pretty strong placebo pill. But yeah, that’s my highly subjective opinion. I don’t have any scientific measurements, as with many things audio related; take it with a pinch of salt.

May 14, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #970 of 2,680

Quote:
Well, I switched back and forth so that is a pretty strong placebo pill. But yeah, that’s my highly subjective opinion. I don’t have any scientific measurements, as with many things audio related; take it with a pinch of salt.

It's a very strong pill.  Stronger than you could ever realize.

But you can easily check this for yourself.  Find the orientation where your magic fuse sounds the absolute best and record a minute or so directly into your computer from the headphone jack, with Audacity, and save it as a WAV.  Now install the factory fuse and do the same without changing any of the settings.  Give both files exactly the same name so you can't tell them apart and play them in foobar.

Although this is not a scientific test, the results will still be a bitter pill to swallow.

USG

May 14, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #971 of 2,680

Quote:
It's a very strong pill.  Stronger than you could ever realize.

But you can easily check this for yourself.  Find the orientation where your magic fuse sounds the absolute best and record a minute or so directly into your computer from the headphone jack, with Audacity, and save it as a WAV.  Now install the factory fuse and do the same without changing any of the settings.  Give both files exactly the same name so you can't tell them apart and play them in foobar.

Although this is not a scientific test, the results will still be a bitter pill to swallow.

USG

ABX Comparator

By: Peter
Performs a double-blind listening test between two tracks.

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_abx

May 14, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #972 of 2,680

Quote:Thanks s1rrah, I think it's gold plated caps. I will get. I am just collecting the things to upgrade
the Havana before I buy that. Yes, yet to buy Havana. But I bought tubes- Tungsol 2c51 D getter, Bendix 6385 red bank.
I am searching for Zu-Birth mains cable( according to your recommendation in an other post).
Thank you,
Cheers. 
UPDATE: You want the "Hi Fi Tuning Fuse SLOW 400ma" ... just did  a search of the thread and found it ...

May 18, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #975 of 2,680
How about this one?: http://www.tweaks4u.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=21&products_id=1889 Got it myself. Haven't AB-ed it though, nor tested if it is directional. Edit: Note that this is a 250V fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back