MHDT Havana DAC
May 18, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #976 of 2,680
I could not find the 400mA silver before on the web, thanks.

And some updates about my Havana experience. I received my hiface yesterday and have been running it continuously since then. What I want to say is, compared to USB input, it improves the performance A LOT!!! 

My chain is now: Laptop-->Hiface-->BJC coaxial-->Havana-->BJC interconnect-->RA1 (Arietta)-->RS1 (HD600,K501)

Now the sound stage greatly widens, before all sound seems clustered in a central part, especially with RS1. And the high and low extension is much better than my previous soundcard Echo Indigo. The bass is deeper now.

Roughly speaking, I feel the performance of Havana increases from 60% to 90%. I am very satisfied with it now!! And I really enjoy the non-fatigue sound of havana. I can hardly listen to RS1 more than one hour before and need some rest, but now I am comfortable with listening to it. When listening to symphonies with HD600, I am very pleased with the sound stage.

I am not sure whether all these changes is because the hiface is really that good, or it is because the USB input on havana is much worse compared with coaxial input (or the USB port of my laptop or my USB cord). I never tried any other USB/SPDIF device.

May 19, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #977 of 2,680
Tip: if someone here uses the Squeezebox Classic, like me, with FLAC-files, set the server to pump out PCM instead of FLAC; this causes the server to ' unzip' FLAC to PCM instead of the Squeezebox. There is a clearly noticeable improvement in SQ.

May 19, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #978 of 2,680

Quote:
Tip: if someone here uses the Squeezebox Classic, like me, with FLAC-files, set the server to pump out PCM instead of FLAC; this causes the server to ' unzip' FLAC to PCM instead of the Squeezebox. There is a clearly noticeable improvement in SQ.

Humm, I wonder why that should be???

USG

May 19, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #979 of 2,680
Theory on Slimdevices forum where I got the tip is that the Classic has a notorious dirty digital output; letting the processor work harder gives more pollution. Don't know if that is true, but the difference is clear and benificial.

May 19, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #980 of 2,680
If you plug the Hiface without the coax cable ( DIY Neutrik male rca adapter on Hiface :wink: with cheapo 50cm usb extension cable the sound improve again 
dt880smile.png
 http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Halide-Design-Bridge-Review

May 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #981 of 2,680

Quote:
If you plug the Hiface without the coax cable ( DIY Neutrik male rca adapter on Hiface :wink: with cheapo 50cm usb extension cable the sound improve again 
dt880smile.png

It sounds interesting..but I have no DIY skill....
What if I try an male to male adapter like this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102663
And use an external USB hub to connect Hiface and laptop?
Will it be any further improvement in SQ?

May 19, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #983 of 2,680

Quote:
Theory on Slimdevices forum where I got the tip is that the Classic has a notorious dirty digital output; letting the processor work harder gives more pollution. Don't know if that is true, but the difference is clear and benificial.

Thanks dura. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
dt880smile.png

IIRC the opposite sounds better, which is why the HiFace plugs directly into the computer eliminating the USB cable completely. 

If you logic it out, the HiFace could have been made either way.  Direct plug into the DAC with a long USB cable or a direct plug into the computer with a long coaxial cable.  I would like to assume the designers listened to it both ways and chose the best sounding implementation.

For an improved sound from a HiFace, check out jkeny's HiFace mods. 

USG

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #984 of 2,680
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. What brought me here is Havana. I've got mine in used condition. It looks fine but didn't work well. I found that one of the Japan PCM56P DAC chips is faulty. Mhdt was so nice to send me a new pair of Korea PCM56P-L. Now my Havana sings with lovely sound. :)

I'm wondering why you guys haven't explored much about replacing the chips. I surely don't want to go for any hard mods like changing the caps. I'm interested in trying other chips. I've bought a pair of PCM56P-K and a pair of AD1856N-K. Will surely report my findings here.

I've tried JW WE 396A but prefer the stock GE... If I have a chance, I'd like to see if other hot tubes can do better to my ears. With the GE, I'd like to tighten up the mid-bass. Considering to replace my Furutech PC with Kimber PK10 Palladian. What do you think?

I'd like to replace the stock fuse too. Hi-Fi Tuning or Furutech? Any opinion?

I've owned Benchmark DAC1, Lavry DA-10 and Mytek Stereo96. They're all very good soundwise. But they can't pull me into music. Havana can. With it, I just want to listen to music non-stop. Wonderful.

Best regard,
mike

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #985 of 2,680
RE: "tighten up mid bass"

In my talks with some of the designers of the Havana, I recall them mentioning that swapping the main output cap for a smaller uF size can work wonders for this.

RE: "fuse"

I'm using the Hi-fi Tuning Fuse and have enjoyed it for nearly a year now. I did indeed notice an improvement in sound quality (mostly cleanliness, and background noise regarding).

RE: "JW WE 396A"

Have to disagree, here; I find the JW 396A to be much more enjoyable than the stock tube (but hey, opinions, you know; dime a doze); that said, I was quite pleased to see somebody make the claim that you do. Refreshing.

RE: "DAC chips"

My unit has the original production chips in it (Korea?) not sure. It's about two years old (mas o minos). And like you, it was a relevatory experience the first time I listened to it, sucking me into a simply enjoyment of the music like no other machine I'd heard ever did.

Best ...

And post on as you experiment with new components.

BTW: I use a Black Sands Violet PC with mine and love it.

Best.

.joel.

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #986 of 2,680
Quote:

Quote:

I've had a chance to think about this and although I know that it's been reported, I'm having a lot of trouble with this explanation.    It doesn't take that much processor work to decode flac.  Heck, if my Sansa Clip can do it easily, so can a Squeezebox.

Quote:
RE: "fuse"

I'm using the Hi-fi Tuning Fuse and have enjoyed it for nearly a year now. I did indeed notice an improvement in sound quality (mostly cleanliness, and background noise regarding).

.joel.

Perhaps it might be worth while for all new members reading about tweaks such as these fuses, to stop by the
Sound Science Forum  and discuss the various pros and cons of these things before actually spending any money.

USG

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #987 of 2,680

Quote:
Perhaps it might be worth while for all new members reading about tweaks such as these fuses, to stop by the
Sound Science Forum  and discuss the various pros and cons of these things before actually spending any money.

I think you see things too desperately, dispassionately and granular. My opinion, of course.

I mean look at your own amp and DAC inventory for instance (quite damn respectable BTW). If components don't matter (a simple electrical fuse being a component, simply a minor one) then why not just drive all your headphones with your portable and the cheapest amp you can find? Why invest in any other gear otherwise if the build and components don't make a difference? Or is it just that certain components make a difference but others don't?

Your sort of like the guy somewhere else here on these forums saying that his little machine generated sound graphs are proof that the very expensive HiFiMan player isn't any better than a Sansa Clip (that it's in fact not as good, even!) since a machine interpreted the signal a certain way.

Which, just speaking philosophically, is about the most inane thing anyone can say since they are, in essence, comparing a human being, with all of our subtle means of interpreting sound...emotionally, physically, spiritually, personally, historically, etc. ... and then comparing that to a machine which simply analyzes the electronic qualities of a signal. It's almost insulting, really.

But anyway, the main reason I think we talk about these things and get caught up in them is because it's fun to do so.

So I say, no, don't visit the Ghey Science Forum (is that what it was called?); no, in fact, go spend your money on having a good time and what your heart/ears/mind tell you the difference is (whether they are lieing or not!); cause personally, I don't care to reduce my passions down to machine interpretation.

But that's just me.

And I apologize, that was all very UN-Havana-like of me, breaking topic like that, but then again so was that which inspired it.

That said, I apologize for the topic swerve.

Now, please carry on. I'm gonna go switch the polarity of my fuse now.

:wink:

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #988 of 2,680

Quote:

I think you see things too desperately, dispassionately and granular. My opinion, of course.

I mean look at your own amp and DAC inventory for instance (quite damn respectable BTW). If components don't matter (a simple electrical fuse being a component, simply a minor one) then why not just drive all your headphones with your portable and the cheapest amp you can find? Why invest in any other gear otherwise if the build and components don't make a difference? Or is it just that certain components make a difference but others don't?

Your sort of like the guy somewhere else here on these forums saying that his little machine generated sound graphs are proof that the very expensive HiFiMan player isn't any better than a Sansa Clip (that it's in fact not as good, even!) since a machine interpreted the signal a certain way.

Which, just speaking philosophically, is about the most inane thing anyone can say since they are, in essence, comparing a human being, with all of our subtle means of interpreting sound...emotionally, physically, spiritually, personally, historically, etc. ... and then comparing that to a machine which simply analyzes the electronic qualities of a signal. It's almost insulting, really.

But anyway, the main reason I think we talk about these things and get caught up in them is because it's fun to do so.

So I say, no, don't visit the Ghey Science Forum (is that what it was called?); no, in fact, go spend your money on having a good time and what your heart/ears/mind tell you the difference is (whether they are lieing or not!); cause personally, I don't care to reduce my passions down to machine interpretation.

But that's just me.

And I apologize, that was all very UN-Havana-like of me, breaking topic like that, but then again so was that which inspired it.

That said, I apologize for the topic swerve.

Now, please carry on. I'm gonna go switch the polarity of my fuse now.

:wink:

Ah, a personal attack and an attempt to discredit science and technology. 

I stand by my suggestion.

USG

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #989 of 2,680
I've a brother who is an engineer, he likes measuremens that lead to numbers that can be compared to other numbers.
He also likes red wine, and so do I.
Usually the only numbers on a bottle are the price, percentage alcohol and year.
In his view, these should be high, high and low to get the best.
I buy on my one subjective non-scientific taste, sharing with friends and experience, without zero hypotheses, control groups and usually I'm not quite sober when making judgements.
Where do you think you can get the best glass of wine?

Jun 5, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #990 of 2,680
Hi,
I am following the thread from a long time and decided to try the Havana. I have to admit that I don't have any experience with headphones and I do not think I will ever try but that is not pushing me out of this forum I believe.
My first feelinngs after setting up time and burning time for the original tube, was not let's say very impressive therefore I decided to go for an upgrade. First thing was to change the two DAC's implemented there. It is good to know that at the end of the chips mfg there is quality control where the best items are marked K, the next good are J and so so meeting the requirements are without grade - simply PCM 56 P. What remains in the basket is marked L and sold cheap. So I do not make any comment, just triyng to see the things rignt /i am a lawyer/ OK you get somewhere an old Japanese CD player / Technics or Sony etc, - I have a listing with all old models using PCM56P/ and take out the original Japanese /no Korea or Malaisia/ Burr Brouwn PCM chips - they have there everything exept L grade ?!? It is OK for today - you are getting tired. I could continue if you are interested.
Regards,
Ignat, Sofia, Bolgaria

Users who are viewing this thread

Back