MHDT Havana DAC
Sep 13, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #526 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read that WE396A and JW WE396A have different sound signature.

Just want to re affirm ... yes ... the standard WE396A and the "JW" branded WE396A are *totally* different!

I wouldn't be so madly vocal about this if it hadn't been for Orcin and his own personal testimony regarding the JW branded 396A variants.

He went on and on about how it was just as good as the Bendix 6385 in the Havana/Paradisea's (which I almost sold my kidney to get and which I quite liked) ... but with a bit more sexiness and "curves" to the sound.

And I have to back him up.

The "JW" branded WE396A is FAR and away better than the standard WE396A. Much more detailed and quiet and resolving. The standard WE396A sounds like a woolen dolt compared to the "JW" branded variety. It's really that dramatic of a difference. Try it and see.

That said ...

I continue my listening session.

wink_face.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #527 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to re affirm ... yes ... the standard WE396A and the "JW" branded WE396A are *totally* different!

I wouldn't be so madly vocal about this if it hadn't been for Orcin and his own personal testimony regarding the JW branded 396A variants.

He went on and on about how it was just as good as the Bendix 6385 in the Havana/Paradisea's (which I almost sold my kidney to get and which I quite liked) ... but with a bit more sexiness and "curves" to the sound.

And I have to back him up.

The "JW" branded WE396A is FAR and away better than the standard WE396A. Much more detailed and quiet and resolving. The standard WE396A sounds like a woolen dolt compared to the "JW" branded variety. It's really that dramatic of a difference. Try it and see.

That said ...

I continue my listening session.

wink_face.gif

I didn't think there was much difference between the JW and the normal WE396A. How strange.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #528 of 2,680
I don't know what WE396A I have, "JW" or not, but if compare it with Bendix 6385, my WE396A with more expensive(fat) sound than Bendix, with magic voices and have more bass. Bendix seems little brighter. When record with more sibilants then need, it's hear very nice. Bendix have less bass but more detailed. Actually in all frequency Bendix seems more detail especially in the HF, and the sound of drum cymbals is very very real and fascinating.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #529 of 2,680
Yesterday I made a direct comparison between Havana and my Rega Apollo cd player.
The differences were easily distinguishable in all frequencies, as well as tonality was different.
In mid to high frequencies Havana was clearly better, more organic and natural sounding. Total another level of reproducing music. Voices were fuller, and without that slight metal echo that apollo has to my ears.
In low frequencies Havana had more mass in the bass but was little softer comparing to Apollo, there was a little woolen blanket in the bass. Big and warm bass, although a little soft.
Overall Havana is better and I'm thinking of selling my Cd player or just keeping it as transport which is a bit fun.
I also like to try another tube with a bit more tight bass. Currently I'm using Ericsson goldpin. Or try a cryo. Is cryo treatment having effect to the bass also? any suggestions?
cheers!

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #531 of 2,680
Anybody read this article?
mhdt havana

I'm intrigued with the part about the AD 1856 chips and others being a direct replacement for the PCM56P. Has anyone tried swapping out the chips?

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #532 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riffle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody read this article?
mhdt havana

I'm intrigued with the part about the AD 1856 chips and others being a direct replacement for the PCM56P. Has anyone tried swapping out the chips?

Great review. No. I haven't read that as of yet.

I'm quite stoked to learn that I can replace the Burr Brown Monolithic PCM56P chips with other variants like the AD1856 chips. I was always curious why the DAC chip's were socketed. Now I know.

Color me learned.

beyersmile.png

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #534 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even through my HD650 a year ago I heard the change between the GE 5670 and the WE396A.

Doing an A-B-A was no good. Hearing the difference was easy when I listed to one for a week, and then switched out. If you have even more revealing equipment the differences should be noticeable (which I'm assuming your speaker setup is).

why was doing an A/B comparison no good?
Surely if there is any difference then it will show up under a direct A/B comparison and not on one based on some distant memory of last week/month

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #535 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc303 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why was doing an A/B comparison no good?

You're asking the wrong person. Ask a bio-psychologist, they might have a chance of knowing that answer. And when you find out, let me know too because I have no idea. ^_^

I simply stated what happened.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #537 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc303 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
err yeah cheers..

I think I'll file this under placebo, sorry.

Don't be sorry. You're entitled to think what you want.
L3000.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #539 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by btbluesky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
regardless....the "organic", "round", "fluid"...wutever u wanna call it kinda quality DO exist in Hanava and is very noticeable. once u heard it, u know wut we're talkin about. some ppl like it, others might not.

It's made online pr0n sound way more realistic to my ear.

smile.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #540 of 2,680
makes me curious to have one alongside my buffalo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back