MHDT Havana DAC
Mar 10, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #271 of 2,680
I was wonder Sirrah, how does JW compare in terms of soundstage and airy-ness to the bendix? (will be using it on the original Paradisea)

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #272 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic1890 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wonder Sirrah, how does JW compare in terms of soundstage and airy-ness to the bendix? (will be using it on the original Paradisea)

I think the soundstage on the Bendix and JW branded WE396A are about the same ...

But the Bendix is just a tad more "airy" ... if I understand what that term means, that is
wink.gif
... and, as I've heard mentioned before ... this might equate to "thinner" sounding to some listeners ...

The Bendix 6385 and the JW branded WE396A are remarkably similar: low noise, great soundstage, insanely good detail and instrument seperation ...

But where the main difference comes up (at least to me, mind you) is in how the JW branded WE396a renders high's versus how the 6385 renders highs ...

To my ear ... the JW branded WE396a is just as detailed in the high frequency range but lacks just the slightest bit of "splashiness/sizzle" that the 6385 provides ...

And since I'm a full time Grado listener ... I prefer the slightly sweeter JW branded WE396a to the 6385, though no way am I going to get rid of the Bendix ... just going to reserve it for future listening as I'm 90% in favor of it as I am with this new JW tube ...

As I told another head-fi friend o' mine ... get a early 50's JW branded WE396a and a Bendix 6385 and then stop looking for tubes and start listening.

wink.gif

Have fun.

.joel

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #273 of 2,680
Hmmm, so, is there a time limit on 'early' bit of the 50s? - would a 1954 version be the same? (what year is yours, btw? - just to double check)

I swear, you're like an encyclopedia when its comes to the MHDT dacs for me. I might actually consider getting the HI-Fi fuse as well, since I blew mine off today, forgetting to change it from 110v to 220v (thank goodness just that blew)

But being in the UK its hard to get these things..

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #274 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic1890 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, so, is there a time limit on 'early' bit of the 50s? - would a 1954 version be the same? (what year is yours, btw? - just to double check)

I swear, you're like an encyclopedia when its comes to the MHDT dacs for me. I might actually consider getting the HI-Fi fuse as well, since I blew mine off today, forgetting to change it from 110v to 220v (thank goodness just that blew)

But being in the UK its hard to get these things..

54 should be fine as long as your buying from a reputable dealer (tubeworld, etc.) ...

I think (according to the tubeworld guy, anyway) that 53 thru 56 or so are going to test/sound the same ...

And yes ... they are WAY better than the 60's variants of the same (non JW branded) WE396A tube ...

The fuse is for each person to figure out ...

But believing in cables ... believing in tubes ... I can only admit that it seems to me that a fuse (being a direct choke point of the power line) ... is just as important ... I found it worthwhile ... but as with most stuff ... Your mileage may vary ...

smily_headphones1.gif

Best.
.joel

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #275 of 2,680
So I put my Bendix 6385 back in the Havana last night and I gotta say ... I'm absolutely on the fence between it and the 50's JW WE396A ... they are both so so great!

Does anyone have one of those extra tall Tesla tubes that work with the Havana DACs?

Wanna send it to me for a week demo/review?

wink.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #276 of 2,680
just put in the stock ge tube just now because the 396a doesn't have the right synergy with the audio technica ad900s... i like the overall balance better now but it sounds dry in comparison to the 396.... hmm what tube is as bright as the stock ge but maybe a little sweeter? The bendix is a little sterile to me. I have to try it again with the new cans but I dont have them at the moment.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #278 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone using the Havana with horn or high efficiency speakers?

I'm headphone only ...

But as I recall ... a couple of the more accessible online Havana reviews were done by guys using a speaker setup ...

And they were pretty much fawning and fainting all over the place in praise of it.

If I get some time I'll hunt the reviews down ... but in the meantime ... google around.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #279 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm headphone only ...

But as I recall ... a couple of the more accessible online Havana reviews were done by guys using a speaker setup ...

And they were pretty much fawning and fainting all over the place in praise of it.

If I get some time I'll hunt the reviews down ... but in the meantime ... google around.

Yeah, I'm aware of that review where the guy seems to comment about non oversampling DAC's being good match for horns.

MHDT Labs Havana Non-Oversampling Tubed DAC With USB Input CD players are absolutely dead! Review By Scott Faller

I would be interested to hear if anyone has used a Cambridge CD player as a transport to the Havana.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #280 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone using the Havana with horn or high efficiency speakers?

I'm not using the havana with my horns but a cousin of mine really loves the havana with his horn system

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #281 of 2,680
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not using the havana with my horns but a cousin of mine really loves the havana with his horn system

Which hornspeakers does your cousin have? I just very recently acquired 2nd hand Avantgarde Unos.

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #285 of 2,680
Any more people here with havanas and tube rolling experience with more rare tubes? I'm trying to find a tube with great synergy for my audio technica ad900s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back