MHDT Havana DAC
Sep 29, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #2,596 of 2,680
http://www.head-fi.org/t/310441/mhdt-havana-dac/1500_30#post_7912264

Does anyone know if this is possible with the Paradisea 3 and if it would be as beneficial? I've read that an r-core upgrade dwarfs changing caps in terms of gains.

See this page for a comparison of the two DACs (and the rest of MHDT Labs DaCs as well):

http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/mhdt%20dac%20families.htm

That spreadsheet has everything on it.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #2,597 of 2,680
Is this the right page? I don't see how this shows anything about transformer swaps.
See this page for a comparison of the two DACs (and the rest of MHDT Labs DaCs as well):

http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/mhdt%20dac%20families.htm

That spreadsheet has everything on it.

Does anyone know if this is possible with the Paradisea 3 and if it would be as beneficial? I've read that an r-core upgrade dwarfs changing caps in terms of gains.

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #2,598 of 2,680
Is this the right page? I don't see how this shows anything about transformer swaps.

sorry guy ... my bad ... I meant to post this to a reply in the Havana thread ...

(oops)

redface.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #2,599 of 2,680
Sep 29, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #2,601 of 2,680
  That is helpful! It seems like Havana V2 has almost exact same specs as Stockholm. Does that mean Havana V2 is no as musical as Havana?

The one fairly significant difference between the Havana V2 and the Stockholm v2 is that the Stockholm does not employ any sort of operational amplification, being a fully discreet design ... whereas the Havana v2 uses the OPAMP that is built in to it's DAC chip ...

Having heard both ... (I currently use a Stockholm v2) ... I have found the Stockholm v2 to be a cleaner, more detailed sound ... though still on the warm side of things as is typical of the NOS/R2R design in general.  The Havana comes across as noticeably a bit "darker" in tonality ... and a tad more "laid back" over all ... 

Both DACs could be said to be very "musical," however ... and both are exceptional values.  Stockholm v2 .. a bit more detailed, slightly better bass ... the Havana v2 .. a tad darker with slightly less detail and a bit more "woolen" bass ... for my headphones (Grado PS1000's) I prefer the Stockholm v2 ... 

That's been my experience, anyway.

Best,
Joel

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #2,603 of 2,680
  Thanks Joel. I use to have a PS1000 as well. Unfortunately I traded it away.
But just to further this valuable discussion: what do you think about other mhdt dacs?

I've used the Constantine, the Paradisea+, the Havana and Havana 2, the Stockholm v1 and Stockholm v2 and I've enjoyed every one of them and consider them all exceptional values. I think the sonic gains moving up the chain are right in line with what MHDT chooses to ask in so far as price increases go and in general, those gains are increased dynamics, increased detail/micro detail, clearer separation, etc. ... (really the sonic gains that any designer will typically go for).

I haven't heard anything past the Stockholm v2 (ie > the Pagoda, etc.) but look forward to some day checking those out.

That said ... I'm not too sure of how the Delta Sigma design (Pagoda) will differ in tonality from the typical MHDT tack towards NOS/R2R and so that's a big interest of mine; I'm *really* a fan of the very analogue sounding NOS/R2R design (MHDT Labs or any other, really) ... and I positively cannot stand "hyper detailed" ... or very "digital sounding" DACs.  I've played music live for many years and have spent decades viewing other musicians performing live and regardless of venue ... there is a certain quality to how live music/instruments sound ... and there are certain DACs out there that just don't sound anything like that certain quality in the least ... but to the contrary those certain DACS (won't name names) sound much more "mechanical" and/or "affected" in their portrayal of music (this most often manifests in ridiculously over emphasized highs).

The NOS/R2R design generally does it for me, though ... which is why I've stuck with the MHDT DACS for so long (really, over the past seven or eight years, I've used nothing but MHDT stuff).

I've also used primarily Grado headphones and have found the MHDT NOS/R2R DACs to be among the best I've ever heard with that particular line headphones (I've owned RS1's, GS1000's and now the PS1000's ... and though enjoying them all ... I vastly prefer the PS1000 over any Grado I've heard).

Hope that helps...

Joel

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #2,604 of 2,680

BUMP

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #2,605 of 2,680
That said ... I'm not too sure of how the Delta Sigma design (Pagoda) will differ in tonality from the typical MHDT tack towards NOS/R2R and so that's a big interest of mine; I'm *really* a fan of the very analogue sounding NOS/R2R design (MHDT Labs or any other, really) ... and I positively cannot stand "hyper detailed" ... or very "digital sounding" DACs.  I've played music live for many years and have spent decades viewing other musicians performing live and regardless of venue ... there is a certain quality to how live music/instruments sound ... and there are certain DACs out there that just don't sound anything like that certain quality in the least ... but to the contrary those certain DACS (won't name names) sound much more "mechanical" and/or "affected" in their portrayal of music (this most often manifests in ridiculously over emphasized.

Joel

I thought Pagoda is R2R not DS?

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #2,606 of 2,680
I thought Pagoda is R2R not DS?

My bad ... I meant the Steeplechase ... just took a look at that spreadsheet and realized my error.

I've heard from Pagoda owners that they really love it ... haven't heard anything about the Steeplechase, though.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #2,608 of 2,680
Back in the saddle again..................Sold Havana to supposedly upgrade to the Metrum Octave, while the metrum did offer higher rez. abilities and had more detail retrieval It was Flat , uninvolving, and I found it fatiguing.  I could not sell it fast enough I was so unhappy

I got very lucky and sold Metrum and Havana Upgraded popped up on  FS Forums............Happy Havana Owner again..............I also compared the new Schiit Multibit Bifrost to Havana,  Schiit went away Havana remains still

Happy Havana owner again
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #2,609 of 2,680
Welcome back, brother.

:wink:

Still with the Stockholm v2, here ... no desire to change from the MHDT Dacs in many, many years ...

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #2,610 of 2,680
Thank you,  Believe me its good to be back...............I wont be changing again.  The multibit Bifrost was the last Dac I had desire to hear Multibiit was supposed to offer nice warm tone instead I heard digital edge and got listener fatigue for my trouble,  Later I find out The Bifrost was a compromise design using  filters over discreet design for space savings (I felt like Schiit was using the success of the Gumby and Yggy to push Bifrost.............Then I find out the design compromises)

Still Very happy with my Havana, when I bought it I recieved the R core transformer with it so I am wondering about the improvements,  Gotta find those connectors though and test it on the board before try install

Users who are viewing this thread

Back