MHDT Havana DAC
Oct 29, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #2,611 of 2,680
  Thank you,  Believe me its good to be back...............I wont be changing again.  The multibit Bifrost was the last Dac I had desire to hear Multibiit was supposed to offer nice warm tone instead I heard digital edge and got listener fatigue for my trouble,  Later I find out The Bifrost was a compromise design using  filters over discreet design for space savings (I felt like Schiit was using the success of the Gumby and Yggy to push Bifrost.............Then I find out the design compromises)

Still Very happy with my Havana, when I bought it I recieved the R core transformer with it so I am wondering about the improvements,  Gotta find those connectors though and test it on the board before try instal

I tried a couple Schitt amps a month or two ago ... a Valhalla 2 and an Asgard 2 ... I was looking for a back up amp in case my Woo WA6 SE or Mapletree Ear+ Purist ever developed a problem ... I really didn't like the Schiit amps too much ... maybe it's just cause it was their cheaper variety of amp ... the Valhalla 2 was absolutely terrible with my PS1000's ... bloated, distorted, etc.  The Asgard 2 was much better, even enjoyable but when comparing directly with my two main tube amps (the Woo and Mapletree amps), there was a giant lack of resolution and micro detail in the Schiitt Asgard 2 ..

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #2,612 of 2,680
I am considering to buy a dac from Mhdt but i haven't decided yet which. It is not an easy choice with so many to choose from, however i think Pagoda sounds very interesting. I had a dac with the 1704 chip in the past and i loved the sound of it so i guess i can say i have a positive predisposition.

I have a question though for the owners of Havana or any other Mhdt dac. Is it possible to use other type tubes with a tube adapter?

For example the Musical Paradise MP-D1 dac is using the 5670 family tubes but can also take ECC88 type tubes with the proper adapter.

Right now i am using a DIY Hybrid (battery and normal power supply) NOS dac with 3x Philips chips and i love it, but i am looking for an upgrade.

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #2,613 of 2,680
I'm interested to see how the r-core is wired into the Havana. It's something I'd like to try on the Paradisea if possible. I believe the transformer wiring on the board is the same if not the same between the Havana and Paradisea.
Thank you,  Believe me its good to be back...............I wont be changing again.  The multibit Bifrost was the last Dac I had desire to hear Multibiit was supposed to offer nice warm tone instead I heard digital edge and got listener fatigue for my trouble,  Later I find out The Bifrost was a compromise design using  filters over discreet design for space savings (I felt like Schiit was using the success of the Gumby and Yggy to push Bifrost.............Then I find out the design compromises)

Still Very happy with my Havana, when I bought it I recieved the R core transformer with it so I am wondering about the improvements,  Gotta find those connectors though and test it on the board before try install

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #2,614 of 2,680
I need to find the proper clips in order to install the R core..............So no help here, Sorry.  They show the install around page 100 of the thread

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #2,616 of 2,680
Here are the complete instructions for R-core installation:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/310441/mhdt-havana-dac/1515#post_7912264
http://www.head-fi.org/t/310441/mhdt-havana-dac/2010#post_8698555

Make sure you read a few posts down in the 2nd link.

This is my parts list for the connectors and terminals that go in them:

The 2nd number in each line item is the manufacturer part no.  Don't worry if the pictures you see in the Mouser product page don't match what you're expecting.  The quantities I purchased were for 2 DACs + spares in case of screw ups.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #2,617 of 2,680
I edited my post right when you replied. :) I will run a meter to the cables prior to plugging in but I'd like to know if this is a +18v 0 -18v or 0 +36v configuration on the DAC side. I think it's the former 18 0 -18 but I want to make sure.

Quote:
  Here are the complete instructions for R-core installation:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/310441/mhdt-havana-dac/1515#post_7912264
http://www.head-fi.org/t/310441/mhdt-havana-dac/2010#post_8698555

Make sure you read a few posts down in the 2nd link.

This is my parts list for the connectors and terminals that go in them:

The 2nd number in each line item is the manufacturer part no.  Don't worry if the pictures you see in the Mouser product page don't match what you're expecting.  The quantities I purchased were for 2 DACs + spares in case of screw ups.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,619 of 2,680

Correct.  Splice both neutral wires of different color in the middle, so it's like 18 00 18

Thanks! I'm thinking of putting the RCore in an external box, running wires to feed the DAC from the sides and in effect not have to remove the torroidal to plug in and in the process removing the active transformer from the DAC. We'll see how far I get :) The Paradisea may have to be a lab guinea pig

Appreciate the Mouser part #s, I may try to source the parts locally. Wonder if Fry's would have parts like this...

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #2,620 of 2,680
No need for a standalone DAC anymore, so I'm selling my (stock) Havana, with a mess of NOS tubes and an extra faceplate, here on Head-Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/795776/mhdt-havana-dac-with-many-nos-tubes

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #2,623 of 2,680
Any Havana users out there using a tube amp as well? Wondering if this guy will synergize with my MAD Ear+ feeding my RS1?

It was absolutely wonderful with a loaner Eddie Current Zana Deux. My new Eddie Current Black Widow sounds very tubey, maybe more so that the ZD at times requiring a rethink of my tube choices, but still pairs wonderfully.

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #2,624 of 2,680
The MHDT Dacs sound amazing going into a tube or hybrid amp. I've loaned out my project horizon but can't wait to get it back. The MHDT Dacs go well with SS as well but a extra special going into a tube.
Any Havana users out there using a tube amp as well? Wondering if this guy will synergize with my MAD Ear+ feeding my RS1?

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #2,625 of 2,680
So,..... With tube rolling, is there an easy safe way to swap tubes besides removing the top? I hate having those tiny screws rolling around and parts exposed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back