MHDT Havana DAC
Oct 7, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #1,426 of 2,680
4x2200uF 25V Nichicon I repalced with 4 x Elna ROB TONEREX 3300uF 25V (the best you can find - believe me, cost did not matter), 1000uF 16V Nichicon I replaced with 1000uF 16V Black Gate FK series (best you can find for this job)

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #1,427 of 2,680

Quote:
4x2200uF 25V Nichicon I repalced with 4 x Elna ROB TONEREX 3300uF 25V (the best you can find - believe me, cost did not matter), 1000uF 16V Nichicon I replaced with 1000uF 16V Black Gate FK series (best you can find for this job)

Robeeert, I intend to change all Nichicon capacitors with ELNA Silmic II (or what are), becouse I know that Elna are a superior solution. In comparative tests, Elna are better in terms of tone realism, softness, dynamic, definition, etc. I am looking for this becouse electrostatics are very sensitive and respond immediately any change, no matter how small. On the other hand, Elna are very recommanded for classical and jazz music! It's those type of musical styles requiring refinement. Two friends use ELNA capacitors in an amplifier and a DIY pre-amplifier&converter and both are very satisfied with the result. ELNA give a musical and relaxed sound. I heard the sound and was very good. Piano and voice sounds so natural...
smile.gif

Other changes: I want to replace all film capacitors, three with Russian Silver MIca (0,01 uF) and the remaining six, if I thought well , with AUDIENCE AuriCap (0,22uF, 0,1 uf);
"Vampire" BNC connector for S/PDif digital input (it will provide a digital audio signal with a high amplitude). LEGATO is equipped with only bnc connector and now, I use an adaptor (rca>>bnc);
On this occasion, I will remove the two stock-film capacitors (C5, C25).

In terms of output capacitors, I keep V-Cap! I dont't know how much I would encourage Mundorf cap., anyway polypropylene capacitors are very good conductors and in terms of performance! On the other hand it comes and money...But I do feel clear what do these capacitors with electrostatic sound: give details, many details, and realism..
What is your opinion, about ELNA capacitors and stock-capacitors replacement (for Havana)? Worth movement? What you felt in sound, after you replaced? I think, after they...you say quietly you are in high-end audio headphone!
atsmile.gif

Thank You!

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #1,428 of 2,680

Quote:
I sold my (decent) dynamic rig as soon as I heard a basic Stax 2050 system :)
Now I'm waiting the delivery of a 507 + 323S combo: I should get them on Thursday, and obviously can't wait to listen to them, after 40 days of iPod + Ety ER4

It's now a week with the new Stax system: very nice indeed. I had to swap the tube on my Havana though, I put the JJ 6386 back, in my opinion the Bendix was too soft. Still, I wish the bass to be more articulate and defined, I'll probably complete the burn in of my 507 and then think of the source, I'm kinda feeling it's the bottle neck now.

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #1,429 of 2,680

Quote:
Robeeert, I intend to change all Nichicon capacitors with ELNA Silmic II (or what are), becouse I know that Elna are a superior solution. In comparative tests, Elna are better in terms of tone realism, softness, dynamic, definition, etc. I am looking for this becouse electrostatics are very sensitive and respond immediately any change, no matter how small. On the other hand, Elna are very recommanded for classical and jazz music! It's those type of musical styles requiring refinement. Two friends use ELNA capacitors in an amplifier and a DIY pre-amplifier&converter and both are very satisfied with the result. ELNA give a musical and relaxed sound. I heard the sound and was very good. Piano and voice sounds so natural...
smile.gif

Other changes: I want to replace all film capacitors, three with Russian Silver MIca (0,01 uF) and the remaining six, if I thought well , with AUDIENCE AuriCap (0,22uF, 0,1 uf);
"Vampire" BNC connector for S/PDif digital input (it will provide a digital audio signal with a high amplitude). LEGATO is equipped with only bnc connector and now, I use an adaptor (rca>>bnc);
On this occasion, I will remove the two stock-film capacitors (C5, C25).

In terms of output capacitors, I keep V-Cap! I dont't know how much I would encourage Mundorf cap., anyway polypropylene capacitors are very good conductors and in terms of performance! On the other hand it comes and money...But I do feel clear what do these capacitors with electrostatic sound: give details, many details, and realism..
What is your opinion, about ELNA capacitors and stock-capacitors replacement (for Havana)? Worth movement? What you felt in sound, after you replaced? I think, after they...you say quietly you are in high-end audio headphone!
atsmile.gif

Thank You!

Loserica,
You can replace all Nichicons with Elna. (Havana will sound quite different after the mod but nobody knows how),
I suppose it should sound better, but you can achieve much more with Havana's construction mixing the caps.

Vcaps OIMP are good caps and only good, but if you're looking for extreme sound quality,
they are not perfect solution.
Vcaps CuTF and TFTF are extremely expensive ( Vcaps CuTF 1uF - $486 each - ($2000 output set), Vcaps 2uF TFTF $459 each($920 set)), I bet they are not better than Mundorfs top of the line which are cheaper  - $100 each ($200 set))

I found the Havana had some key caps which should be replaced with care.

Digital section's caps, powersupply's caps, some of the foil caps etc....
(hundreds moves to achieve satisfaction)

Next weekend I'm replacing the stock 0,22uF foil cap with:
Candidates to that place are:
Mundorf silver/gold,
FT-3 Russian cap,
Jupiter yellow vintage tone.

Will send photos and my impressions about that operation.

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #1,430 of 2,680

Quote:
It's now a week with the new Stax system: very nice indeed. I had to swap the tube on my Havana though, I put the JJ 6386 back, in my opinion the Bendix was too soft. Still, I wish the bass to be more articulate and defined, I'll probably complete the burn in of my 507 and then think of the source, I'm kinda feeling it's the bottle neck now.

Very nice!
I put to beat STAX SR404LE + eXStatA!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Last year I was also interested of 507, but it was to be only SR404LE. However, the differences from SR404 "Signature" were high in favor of Limited Edition! Without discussion, instruments have body, were more clearly defined with higher focus, and much lower frequencies present. Then I compared the STAX amplifier (SRM-006IIt) who has up-graded tubes with Clear Top 6CG7 RCA (NOS) and EAT Cool dampers, with an electrostatic amp designed by Alex Cavalli. It was with integrate discret circuit (Solid-State). Comparative auditions lasted days and days, becouse I love the sound of STAX... But with all due respect, eXStatA given class and it sounded better from Stax at all chapter. Not only to those chapters than I expect to be better, I mean fast and focus, rezolution, decay and audio layering, etc, but also at refinement, transparency and texture! Not to mention an issue that aroused the curiosity: there are users who have compared this amplifier with "all the big fish" electrostatic amplifiers: KGSS Gilmore, Blue Hawaii SE, Woo Audio WES, etc. Of course, these solutions have sounded "slightly" better, but at what price!

Finnaly I repeat again: Havana is very, very sensitive any change: power cables, transports, conectors. Amplification is very, very important in headphones electrostatic world!
I'm afraid that SRM323S is not good enough becouse 507 has great potential!

I  wish you pleasant listening with them and enjoy electrostatics sound!
smile.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #1,432 of 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by loserica
I love the sound of STAX... But with all due respect, eXStatA given class and it sounded better from Stax at all chapter. Not only to those chapters than I expect to be better, I mean fast and focus, rezolution, decay and audio layering, etc, but also at refinement, transparency and texture! Not to mention an issue that aroused the curiosity: there are users who have compared this amplifier with "all the big fish" electrostatic amplifiers: KGSS Gilmore, Blue Hawaii SE, Woo Audio WES, etc. Of course, these solutions have sounded "slightly" better, but at what price!

Finnaly I repeat again: Havana is very, very sensitive any change: power cables, transports, conectors. Amplification is very, very important in headphones electrostatic world!

I  wish you pleasant listening with them and enjoy electrostatics sound!
smile.gif

Yes, the Havana is very very sensitive to any changes. I love powercables, they give me the substantial differences in the sound reproduction, no excellent powercord!, no hi-end sound!.
I love stax too.

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #1,433 of 2,680

Quote:
e are users who have compared this amplifier with "all the big fish" electrostatic amplifiers: KGSS Gilmore, Blue Hawaii SE, Woo Audio WES, etc. Of course, these solutions have sounded "slightly" better, but at what price!

This is the same with DACs..

Let's assume we have the DAC priced for $400, we like the sound of it, now the x-man brings us the DAC worth $800, we like it much more than the $400 worth DAC,
now let's double the price to $1600, we hear better sound but the differece is not the same big as between $400 and $800 DAC,
Let's double the price again to $3200 DAC, the difference is "slight" but audible, ..and so on.... and the differeneces between DACs worth $10.000 and $20.000
-  the matter of preferences or the rest of our system.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #1,435 of 2,680

Quote:

It might be, I don't have enough experience with other amps. I'm saying the source is the bottleneck IMHO because simply changing the tube the sound was completely different. The 323S is still a budget amp (relatively speaking) but the 507 are so easy to drive.
As I said before, I love the Havana, but IMHO there's no point in spending the same price trying to improve it.

In the next few weeks I'll have the opportunity to try some DACs and I'm curious to see how the Havana stacks against the Calix, the W4S DAC-2, the M2Tech Young.

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #1,436 of 2,680

Quote:

It might be, I don't have enough experience with other amps. I'm saying the source is the bottleneck IMHO because simply changing the tube the sound was completely different. The 323S is still a budget amp (relatively speaking) but the 507 are so easy to drive.
As I said before, I love the Havana, but IMHO there's no point in spending the same price trying to improve it.

In the next few weeks I'll have the opportunity to try some DACs and I'm curious to see how the Havana stacks against the Calix, the W4S DAC-2, the M2Tech Young. 

The reason to which I said this is becouse I noticed: STAX headphones are very, very sensitive to the source and amplification. Practical, these headphones may sound increasingly better simply by changing something in the audio setup. Their reponse reaction is incredibly, and we don't imagine where could end audio experience with them. I heavn't reffered to the fact that may not be conducted of STAX amp., might lead them even better, but rather that there are solutions DIY which provides higher. And eXStatA is one of them. It's kind of what I would call "brute force" of amplification, the real power! With electrostatic headphones, if you want to sound really good, than You need power amplifier...Otherwise you will lose some "details", that could be played so nice. The last thing that I would change in my audio setup is the headphone! Becouse it is "STAX", and call their own. Of course, they are superior solutions from SR404LE, or 507, but that would be require the respectfull way as possible review the entire setup. What would be a real financial fun...
smile.gif
Add quality could come from the amp, or from the DAC, or from the transport, filter, source, players, cables, etc., last time I would think headphones (I only keep this reasoning in this context).

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #1,437 of 2,680

Quote:

Please post some thoughts/comparisons.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #1,438 of 2,680
@Robeeert,

I told you that I intend to change all film capacitors into Havana, and I thought to Audience Auricap (polypropylene capacitors). But they are only 400V, (not 250V such as those stock-capacitors). What do you think?

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #1,440 of 2,680

Quote:
Has anybody ideea where I could find the best BNC (digital input) connector for Havana? I want to replace the "stock-RCA" connector with BNC, becouse Legato is equipped with BNC output and cable connectors. I would be interested and if it was tested, compared with RCA conector. Theoretically it should be a superior solution.

Try this one. It is better that Vampire- berrilium copper -  http://bg.farnell.com/te-connectivity-amp/5222092-1/jack-bnc-75ohm-rt-a-pcb-au/dp/1831680?Ntt=1831680 - I have ordered one for a test.
Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back