MHDT Havana DAC
Jun 4, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #1,201 of 2,680
I read that, but that doesn't change my opinion at all...which is that there are a zillion solid state DACs. If you want a SS DSC, buy a SS DAC, don't buy a tube DAC and then try to mod it to make it a SS DAC, which is not what the designer had in mind. That's just silly.

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #1,203 of 2,680

Quote:
I read that, but that doesn't change my opinion at all...which is that there are a zillion solid state DACs. If you want a SS DSC, buy a SS DAC, don't buy a tube DAC and then try to mod it to make it a SS DAC, which is not what the designer had in mind. That's just silly.

X2.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #1,204 of 2,680
Ok, whice tube you liked the most with the havana? 
So far my preference is for the Western Electric 396A. I found the Bendix 2C51 to be just a little too rich in the lower mids. The WE396A is very clean, nicely detailed, but still generally very musical.

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #1,205 of 2,680

Quote:
A friend suggested not to use the tube Buffer , can it be done by removel of the tube and than using jumper on the tube socket?

It will be interesting to see if it improves the sound at all..

Yes FOXY, it is a very good idea but you can eventually go further than just "remuvel" of the tube - you can add some op amps and a digital filter and go to some other thread - OK,
Go ahead

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #1,206 of 2,680

Quote:
Alright guys I have joined the Havana bandwagon. Using it currently with a pair of Tung-sols. I am really impressed with this dac, it gives my Apache a very warm, lush sound. Does anyone know what is output voltage when running balanced?

Congratulations!  You should be set for a while...  Unless the upgrade bug bites you again.  But really.  Now's the time to dramatically expand your music collection and enjoy what you've achieved!

best,

Frank

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #1,207 of 2,680

Quote:
Congratulations!  You should be set for a while...  Unless the upgrade bug bites you again.  But really.  Now's the time to dramatically expand your music collection and enjoy what you've achieved!

best,

Frank

Haha thanks Frank. I am done as far as headphone setups are concerned. I was now looking into getting some budget speakers =]

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #1,208 of 2,680
After a week with the stock tube, I can say the tube with a dark and littleboring sound.

There are many recommendations for replacement tube:
WE396A JW
Bendix 6385 
Russian 6np3-e

What tube will be better if I'm looking for good and warmer sound?

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #1,209 of 2,680
Wy would you want a *warmer* sound if it's already sounding too dark for you now? Anyway, If you go over this thread you'll find the WE396A is the most well-thought of option. you got a solid recomendation for it just on this page.  

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #1,210 of 2,680

Quote:
Foxy: After a week with the stock tube, I can say the tube with a dark and littleboring sound.

If you need more impact and clearer sound (not so boring) - purchase bendix 6385 1964 release,
if you need warmer sound look for a jw we396a.

Whatever you purchase of those above listed you will notice a better resolution sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back