MHDT Havana DAC
May 8, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #1,171 of 2,680

Quote:
After hearing a number of upsampling dacs that I didnt liked I decided to purchase the mhdt havana dac.

The sound after a few days is quite dark, and not so detailed in high.
Is this phenomenon of  tube burn-in? 

what tubes is recommend for the best sound?

The dac is connected to the computer's built-in Sound card, Does adding a USB to S/PDIF will improve the sound?

Foxy, you just read this thread and you will get all the answers,
Cheers

May 14, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #1,172 of 2,680
After a week more of burn in, the dac sounds a lot better.

I understand from reading this thread that vacuum tube replacement is recommended.
Especially for the WE396A JW.

What are the differences between it stock tube and the WE396A JW ?

And from where i should purchase it?

May 14, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #1,173 of 2,680
Hi Foxy, I have spent some time going through tubes for this dac.I have been rolling tubes in and out of my gear  for years. I have an Audio Research pre-amp that holds a total of 15 tubes, and an ARC power amp that holds a total of 17 tubes. So I think I can say that I kind of know my tubes. There are many different ideas on this forum as to what is the best tube for this DAC is. Joel and many others have  opinions also. And I do agree that the going thought around here is the  WE- JW 396A tube is up there with the best . I can only say that for me I have not had very good luck with this tube.(and they are going up in price). To me the Bendix 2C51 is clearly the best sounding tube for this Dac That I have been through. If you can find it on e-bay, you will pay about 75.00 for it. Bendix also makes a 6385 that is said to sound just a tad better. But it is about 150.00 and I have not been able to hear that one. ( I am not going to pay that price).
 But I want to tell you about a tube I just got in the mail a couple of days ago. I am listening to it at this very moment. First I AM  Shocked!!  I took out my bendix 2c51 and poped  this in and I was not expecting much (for 3.00 for two tubes= 8.00 shipping=11.00 total) I can not believe my ears!!!  This tube sounds every bit as good as the bendix(maybe better). I gave the other to my friend with one of these dacs so he can listen also. I expect the same response from him in his high end system when he gets back to me.
The Tube???---the Russian 6np3-e---  it is important that you get the E- model and not the other ones.( there is a 6n3p, a-6n3p-i, and a 6n3p-dr) I have only tried the E model. And I am not sure the other models would sound as good. At such a cheap price. I can't see why anyone would not at least try them. You should leave your dac on all night so the tube can cook some (improved bass). It seems to sound better after about 15 or 20 hours burn in. I understand that there may be some out there that disagree. But I feel that this is the bargin of the century for a tube for this DAC. If any of you others can use this tube in any of your other gear? I would love to here your thoughts. I hope this helps.
 Solar

May 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #1,174 of 2,680
I just joined the ranks of Havana owners this week.  What an awesome DAC, I'm still using the stock tubes in it, which is a first for me, but I didn't have any of these tubes laying around, waiting for some WEs and Tung-Sols to come in though.  Should be fun.

May 15, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #1,176 of 2,680
Hi Solarjam,
I have listened to almost all of them exept the Bendix 6385-/which I consider expensive/ and agree with you that Bendix 2C51 is the best along with Tesla 6CC42 and JW - all of them D-getter. Have tried all the Russian triodes and consider E-type the best of them but in my opinion not better than the Bendix. Anyhow better than all the rest of GE tubes etc. At the end - hearing is believing - so let's see what the community will say about it.
Cheers !

May 16, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #1,177 of 2,680
Hi Niamex---Yes lets see what will be said about the russian tube. What gets me is the price. I don't really think it is better than the bendix 2c51. But I do think it is as good and I see no reason to pay the kind of prices we have been paying for these tubes when there is this russian tube to be had for about 2.00+ shipping. Just my 2 cents worth.
Best regards ---Solar

May 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #1,179 of 2,680

Quote:
Hi Niamex---Yes lets see what will be said about the russian tube. What gets me is the price. I don't really think it is better than the bendix 2c51. But I do think it is as good and I see no reason to pay the kind of prices we have been paying for these tubes when there is this russian tube to be had for about 2.00+ shipping. Just my 2 cents worth.
Best regards ---Solar

Thanks for the mention. I'm gonna order a couple of these. 

May 16, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #1,180 of 2,680
I was able to score 5 Tung-Sol 2C51's for $10. They sound great. This tube type can often be very cheap if you poke around.

May 17, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #1,181 of 2,680

Quote:
I was able to score 5 Tung-Sol 2C51's for $10. They sound great. This tube type can often be very cheap if you poke around.

Please consider an exchange of one of yours Tung Sol for a Tesla 6CC42 /also very rare/. We have to pay just the transport. I have four of them. Sounds great - if you do not like it I will pay to collect it back. I have just bought a Bendix 2c51 in Germany for 40 Euro.
Regards

May 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #1,182 of 2,680
Sure, PM sent - I can trade one (already sold two others).

May 17, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #1,183 of 2,680
(edit)

bigsmile_face.gif

May 18, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #1,184 of 2,680

Quote:
(oh please!) (stop talking about all this Havana tube rolling sex) ; I've been sold on the early year JW 396A tube for about 1.5 years. I know, I know .. afficiandaos will always complain (myself included). And though I will always claim the Bendix 6385 as my favorite tube in the Havana, I will still nonetheless pimp the second best tube (IMHO) ... the JW 396A ... (so ****ing sexy) .... .. ... (sigh() ... (I'm drinking). ( blush ) ...
You are bloody right but you know it - it's a diagnose - not a mood
wink_face.gif

Cheers

May 23, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #1,185 of 2,680
I've started to become aware of a coloration of the Havana that on occasion bothers me, and wondered what other owners think. I am using the Bendix 2C51 tube. I find there is a kind of forwardness in the very lower mids that isn't natural. Sometimes, like all colorations, this is kind of pleasant, but sometimes it can be quite annoying.

Before I embark on a huge tube-rolling adventure, what do other Havana owners who have had the DAC longer than I have think? Is this just the way the Havana is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back