MHDT Havana DAC
Sep 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #2,266 of 2,680
you can have a look at Teac ud 501 as it's also a good value reputedly, while not sounding at all like havana dac : more clear, transparent, neutral...But a good bargain Under 1000 euros.

And by the way, it's far more expensive but it can interest someone, I read many good things about Metrum Hex dac for this summer, especially with usb which seems very well thought to avoid jitter.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #2,268 of 2,680
  Hey, does anyone know whether the Havana still being manufactured? And is the company still in business? I feel like I haven't seen or heard anything from them in a long while. 

They've released a few new products. I think it's just ALO stopped selling their products.

http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/order.htm

Havana "in stock"

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #2,269 of 2,680
Did you notice it's possible to play 24 bits files with havana ? This week I was listening to several albums, and looking at specs of the playing track I noticed it was a 24 bits/96 khz recording. I must say that I use a usb/spdif converter and havana alone can't play these files (the player refuses) but I'm surprise the dac accepts to read 24 bit files when a converter is plugged in.

May be it's resampled in 16 bits when arriving to the dac, I don't know.

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #2,270 of 2,680
You are correct, I think ... even though you are sending it a 24bit input, it only sees 16bit ... I remember this about the Havana when I had it too ...

Still enjoying my vanilla Stockholm, BTW ... haven't found any reason to upgrade and probably won't (unless a modded Havana comes up for sale, in which case I might have to get it) ... 

:wink:

Sep 7, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2,271 of 2,680
This is how I was taught to do it for best results with a redbook dac. There was a thread on here at some point I actually don't remember the reason for it anymore. I just know it's best to have a locked stream of 16 bit so things don't get converted around too much.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #2,272 of 2,680
Have any of you seen this diagram at the MHDT Labs page?

It would seem to indicate that their are two new tube stage DACs in the works, the "Atlantis" and the "Pagoda."  Unlike the Havana and the Stockholm's 16bit output, these will have 20bit and 24bit outputs respectively. Both still maintaining the R2R NOS architecture and both, like the Stockholm2 will have "discrete transistors" and will utilize different DAC's than the Havana and Stockholm.

Interesting:

MHDT DAC Families

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #2,275 of 2,680
  Pagoda looks interesting indeed. PCM1704 is a very nice sounding DAC chip.
What is the price of this baby?

Any photos of internal parts?

I believe these are DACs that are "in the works" as they aren't listed on their page yet ...

I'm curious about the pricing as well.

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,276 of 2,680
  Pagoda looks interesting indeed. PCM1704 is a very nice sounding DAC chip.
What is the price of this baby?

Any photos of internal parts?

I bought the Steeplechase for $399, which sounded so nice in my non-primary system (country house), I bought the Pagoda to see if it sounds better than my Rega DAC in my main listening system. The Pagoda cost me $1350. Still on the less expensive side of DACs. I now have the MYTEK192 (for recording purposes - allows capture of PCM data from the MYTEK ADC), the Rega and the MHDT. Should be an interesting shootout after I break in the MHDT. I'll report back!

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #2,277 of 2,680

I bought the Steeplechase for $399, which sounded so nice in my non-primary system (country house), I bought the Pagoda to see if it sounds better than my Rega DAC in my main listening system. The Pagoda cost me $1350. Still on the less expensive side of DACs. I now have the MYTEK192 (for recording purposes - allows capture of PCM data from the MYTEK ADC), the Rega and the MHDT. Should be an interesting shootout after I break in the MHDT. I'll report back!

Where is there information online regarding the Pagoda? I couldn't find a product page for it.

???

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #2,279 of 2,680
I would think it would be worthwhile for MHDT to ask one of the regulars here if they could lend them one of each for an in-depth review.  How many people have bought a Havana due to this thread?  How many of us would be willing to upgrade if we knew there was a significantly better sounding model, and we knew the different sonic characteristics of the different models:

Havana 2Stockholm 2AtlantisPagodaSteeplechase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back