Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 14, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #12,391 of 13,029
Hi all, I would really appreciate some advice on pads. I love my Empyreans but am quite treble sensitive, particularly to their upper treble. I have the elite pads, and feel that these are better than the leather and OG Alcantara pads at levelling out the sound, especially that treble. Now that the angled Alcantara is out in the wild, has anyone felt that they further smoothed the sound? How would they compare against the elite hybrid pads sound-wise?

I had no comfort issues with the elite hybrid pads, so I would really appreciate any advice on whether the angled Alcantara is worth it given my preferences.

Thanks everyone!

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #12,392 of 13,029
Hi all, I would really appreciate some advice on pads. I love my Empyreans but am quite treble sensitive, particularly to their upper treble. I have the elite pads, and feel that these are better than the leather and OG Alcantara pads at levelling out the sound, especially that treble. Now that the angled Alcantara is out in the wild, has anyone felt that they further smoothed the sound? How would they compare against the elite hybrid pads sound-wise?

I had no comfort issues with the elite hybrid pads, so I would really appreciate any advice on whether the angled Alcantara is worth it given my preferences.

Thanks everyone!
You must really be sensitive as the Empyreans are not known for their 'sparkle'. I personally prefer using my Empyrean leather pads on my Elites, as they soften them down a touch and really help with the soundstage. Elite thin leather pads are (IMO) too bright on either headphone.

As for the angled pads, I'm still running tests, but so far, I think they actually bump the mids even more on the Elites (haven't tried them on the Empyreans yet), and I'm not liking the results. But I've also been hopped up on pain killers for the past week due to a kidney stone, so take that with a grain of salt.

Mar 15, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #12,393 of 13,029
The angled pads on Empyrean are nothing less than a game changer. They wasted a lot of potential with the original pads.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #12,394 of 13,029
The angled pads on Empyrean are nothing less than a game changer. They wasted a lot of potential with the original pads.
Yes ...this! I will never Stop to shill these pads
My Empys with the new pads are giving me the Feeling i Hhd from Back then when i was 13 and finally got the "good" 40 bucks Headphones from Sony i saved Up for so long i want to listen to them as soon as i wake up...
Tuning wise they are now suitable for gernes
with a touch consumer feeling in the sense that nothing sticks Out except for the slightly elevated base... just Chefs kiss...

It is Like they where originaly build with these pads in mind and someone put the wrong ones in the package...

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #12,395 of 13,029
I wish they make another set of angled leather pads but it'll most likely be angled hybrid pads.

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #12,396 of 13,029
I will jump on the bandwagon to grab some of the angled pads. I am one of the minority (I think) that always preferred the Alcantara to the Leather pads so these sound like they will be great for my tastes. I am curious to try them on the Elite also.

For those in the UK these guys have confirmed to me they will stock them as soon as they can but it might not be for a few months.

I have previously ordered some Elite Hybrid Pads from Meze Direct and I payed about £45 extra in customs charge so might be best to await for the UK supply.

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #12,397 of 13,029
I’m holding out for leather as well. At least for a while…

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #12,398 of 13,029
I will jump on the bandwagon to grab some of the angled pads. I am one of the minority (I think) that always preferred the Alcantara to the Leather pads so these sound like they will be great for my tastes. I am curious to try them on the Elite also.

I prefered the Alcantara too.

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #12,399 of 13,029
I prefered the Alcantara too.

Me too, Leather pads makes it fun sounding with more bump in mind and low bass. With Alcantara it sound closer to TOTL speakers

Mar 15, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #12,400 of 13,029
I wish they make another set of angled leather pads but it'll most likely be angled hybrid pads.

Does not work🙈....and does not make sense 😉

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #12,401 of 13,029
You must really be sensitive as the Empyreans are not known for their 'sparkle'. I personally prefer using my Empyrean leather pads on my Elites, as they soften them down a touch and really help with the soundstage. Elite thin leather pads are (IMO) too bright on either headphone.

As for the angled pads, I'm still running tests, but so far, I think they actually bump the mids even more on the Elites (haven't tried them on the Empyreans yet), and I'm not liking the results. But I've also been hopped up on pain killers for the past week due to a kidney stone, so take that with a grain of salt.
Thank you for the insight. That's actually really interesting that you found your Elite hybrid pads to be brighter than the Empyrean leather on the Elite. On the Empyrean, I'd say it's the opposite effect, but then again they are different headphones.

Yep I am quite treble sensitive. Maybe it's not the 'sparkle' aspect, but I definitely feel something slightly grating with the Empyreans, like grain or tizziness. Hard to explain but everyone's ears are really different. For instance, I find my HD650 absolutely perfect in tuning, even with its slight midrange shout.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #12,402 of 13,029
Does not work🙈....and does not make sense 😉

NOMAX

PS.lol
Care to elaborate why angled pads made with other materials don’t work and doesn’t make sense?

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #12,403 of 13,029
Care to elaborate why angled pads made with other materials don’t work and doesn’t make sense?

Because the tonal performance becomes too dull and dark with leather,and an audiophile performance mus offer one illumination of the room..bright enough
(My preferred material would have been a spacer fabric (mesh) instead of Alcantara,same as AKG 5..or the the pad material from the Airpods max,
Only finding the right supplier is not as easy as you might think)

In any case, the result is impressive for me as a none bass head
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...array-headphone.871859/page-823#post-17408376

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #12,404 of 13,029
Because the tonal performance becomes too dull and dark with leather,and an audiophile performance mus offer one illumination of the room..bright enough
(My preferred material would have been a spacer fabric (mesh) instead of Alcantara,same as AKG 5..or the the pad material from the Airpods max,
Only finding the right supplier is not as easy as you might think)

In any case, the result is impressive for me as a none bass head
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...array-headphone.871859/page-823#post-17408376

NOMAX

PS.lol
Well, sounds like this is your personal opinion/preference rather than a fact. Maybe I’ve been pad-rolling with my Verite Closed for too long. I can’t say definitely if an angled leather/hybrid pad will/will not work for me. All I know is if Meze releases another angled pad for the Empyrean, I’m gonna try it once more :)

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #12,405 of 13,029
Well, sounds like this is your personal opinion/preference rather than a fact. Maybe I’ve been pad-rolling with my Verite Closed for too long. I can’t say definitely if an angled leather/hybrid pad will/will not work for me. All I know is if Meze releases another angled pad for the Empyrean, I’m gonna try it once more :)

As mentioned before in the past, I have tried a lot of things...unfortunately it was never really satisfying

NOMAX

PS.lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back