Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 18, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #12,421 of 12,975
Is the Empyrean targeted at some specific genre of music and listening, or is it "just a cheaper" Elite with some respective compromises
The Empyrean has a warmer tuning.
More focused on musicality than Details and technicalities.

Many audiophiles think it has too much bass which makes the sound too thick.
The Elite went a noteable step into the direction of an audiophile tuning.

I consider both complementary and don't think the Elite is a better Empyrean but both targetted at slightly different audiences

Mar 18, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #12,422 of 12,975
Thank you for your answer. May I ask, in your opinion, which genre suits best each of the Meze?

Thank you so much.

Cheers.

Mar 18, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #12,423 of 12,975
Thank you for your answer. May I ask, in your opinion, which genre suits best each of the Meze?

Thank you so much.

Cheers.
The Mezes are generally great alrounders. So there is nothing that is unsuited for them.

Since I have both I usually choose the Elite for classical and Jazz type of music, while the Empyrean is suited better for EDM for instance.

Most genres are great on both tho

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #12,424 of 12,975
After much reading and talking to a few lovely people, I'm gonna go the Empyrean route. I believe it can be a step-up, or at least a different experience, with my genre of music when compared to the Grado.

I have a Rupert Neve RNHP amp and from what I have read it is supposed to have a great synergy with the Empyrean. I just have to concentrate now on the DAC for this setup as the RNHP can be very picky with DACs and I don't want to screw this up by picking the wrong one.

One of the best bets is the schist Bifrost 2/64 but not only the price here in Europe is way high as it is out of stock anywhere.

The Chord DAC´s seem to be also a safe bet (Mojo 2 / Hugo 2 / Qutest at my range).

Does anyone knows of any DAC that will fit this setup with great synergy?

Thank you.

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #12,425 of 12,975
What’s up everyone! Just got word of the angled pads today on Reddit and doing some research, glad to see the comps here with the Elites as well! I tend to like the alcantara more than the hybrid pads as another poster a few pages back mentioned. Might have to pull the trigger on these angled ones!

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #12,426 of 12,975
After much reading and talking to a few lovely people, I'm gonna go the Empyrean route. I believe it can be a step-up, or at least a different experience, with my genre of music when compared to the Grado.

I have a Rupert Neve RNHP amp and from what I have read it is supposed to have a great synergy with the Empyrean. I just have to concentrate now on the DAC for this setup as the RNHP can be very picky with DACs and I don't want to screw this up by picking the wrong one.

One of the best bets is the schist Bifrost 2/64 but not only the price here in Europe is way high as it is out of stock anywhere.

The Chord DAC´s seem to be also a safe bet (Mojo 2 / Hugo 2 / Qutest at my range).

Thank you.
Qutest should be the perfect partner for Empyrian from what i know. Hugo 2 too.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #12,427 of 12,975

Thank you.
Keep us updated with your choice of DAC ... I have a QUTEST and with my current amplification (see sig) the Empyreans work well ... it is incisive and detailed. However I am still looking for a more transparent, open, SS amplifier which I believe the Empyreans need to bring out the best in them.

Mar 22, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #12,428 of 12,975
Good news for people in the UK: Premium Sound can get hold of the Angled Alcantara pads in the UK quickly, and I suggest contacting them directly as they do not appear to be listed on their website. I will be putting in an order and reporting back. I got my Elite Hybrid pads from them and can say nothing but good things on that experience!

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #12,429 of 12,975
Testing, on IFI PRO iDSD. Not liking the Alcantara pads, leather is the way to go.
20230326_195031.JPG

Mar 27, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #12,430 of 12,975
To folks who have tried the new angled Alcantara pads on their Empyreans - if I did not like the OG stock Alcantara pads and preferred the leather pads, is the angled version "different" enough from the stock OG Alcantara pads to warrant trying them out? Or does it tend to share the same characteristics (maybe just does it a little better)?

I think generally I don't like what suede/alcantara pads do to the sound compared to leather. On all my headphones I've never liked a suede version better than its leather counterpart. But these angled Alcantara pads are interesting...

For what it's worth, I love the hybrid pads on my Elites.

thanks!

Mar 27, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #12,431 of 12,975
To folks who have tried the new angled Alcantara pads on their Empyreans - if I did not like the OG stock Alcantara pads and preferred the leather pads, is the angled version "different" enough from the stock OG Alcantara pads to warrant trying them out? Or does it tend to share the same characteristics (maybe just does it a little better)?

I think generally I don't like what suede/alcantara pads do to the sound compared to leather. On all my headphones I've never liked a suede version better than its leather counterpart. But these angled Alcantara pads are interesting...

thanks!
This is hard to answer.

I do think that they are different enough from OG Alcantara to try them.

However they are tonally completely different from leather, so you either have a 2nd completely different tuning to enjoy or maybe you won’t like them at all

Mar 27, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #12,432 of 12,975

thanks!
I've not had much time with the angled pads but first impressions are that I find them much better than the OG Alcantara (which was my preference anyway).

Slight increase in bass while taming the Empyrean bass bloat (which never really bothered me anyway). Better clarity and surprisingly more "airy".

It's a big improvement to me. I'm very pleased with the purchase.

First impressions were that I didn't really like them on the Elites; the Hybrids are the perfect pads for the Elites IMHO.

It does not simply turn the Empyreans into the Elites either. It's enough difference to justify having both Meze cans in my collection still.

IMHO

Edit: They are also sooooo comfortable. I found the OG empy pads very comfortable but a bit bulky.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #12,434 of 12,975
any compare between the Angled Alcantara pads and the Hybrid Ear pads for the empyrean. If my favourite is Leather Ear Pads rather than alcantara.
Thanks.

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #12,435 of 12,975
The Empyrean joined the family again, for the third time. Third time's a charm? :)

Early days, but really glad to have them again. I appreciate the full bodied, musical, non-fatiguing sound, if anything as a different flavor in the collection. I just received the angled pads and they do indeed alter the sound substantially, mainly reducing the bass bloom. Not sure what I will be using on these as the default option, but it is nice to play around with and have some options available.

Besides the sound, these boys are definitely among the prettiest headphones in my collection. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back