Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 31, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #12,451 of 12,974
I've always found that silver produces a tighter better defined bass (more impact but controlled) compared to copper and shouldn't mean "Brighter" sound. From what I understand, it can make something sound brighter because when the bass becomes tighter, better controlled it doesn't bleed into the mids etc as much making it easier to hear the detail in that area. Also, the silver upgrade cable is copper with each strand coated in silver rather than pure silver so it will still retain some of the characteristics of the copper cable.

As has been mentioned, you do need to give the cable plenty of time to run in as they do change. Especially pure silver which can take 200+ hours quite easily. That said, when I had the Meze Silver Upgrade cable, I remember it sounding very good early on. You can't discount brain burn in... it takes a little bit to adjust to the new sound.

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #12,452 of 12,974
Thanks!

I get the point of burning in.

But I do not understand the obvious difference between both cables out of the box, the opposite direction compared to the other reviews.

Silver plated has less controlled and dry bass and a vail over the vocals. Nice relaxed but I think the pure copper is much more bright and clear.

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #12,453 of 12,974
If anyone in Europe has the copper upgrade cable for sale, please send me a PM :)

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #12,454 of 12,974
Both Cables similar barely used (3-4 hours).
I think here is the answer.

Many times when upgraded cables I was surprised what was going on. Sometimes it was hard to listen in the first 20-30 hours. It only gets better after that.

Of course, the biggest difference will be with full silver cable. The sound presentation is clearer and more fluid at the same time. The frequencies have more control, the bass is tighter and has more dynamics. The vocals have more layers, they seem more natural and more mature. Especially female vocals are more subtle and charming.

Also I would consider replacing Fiio q7 with shanling H7 :)
There is a big difference in sound. Larger soundstage, especially depth. Better separation. More neutral sound with better resolution of the treble. And the price is similar. With Fiio I had the impression that Empyrean did not show its full potential.

Mar 31, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #12,455 of 12,974
But I do not understand the obvious difference between both cables out of the box, the opposite direction compared to the other reviews.
Maybe it's better to wait with opinion until the cables burn in. Much can still change. Silver plated cable should not be drier, that's for sure. I wonder if you will notice the difference in a few dozen hours. Please let us know.

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #12,456 of 12,974
Maybe it's better to wait with opinion until the cables burn in. Much can still change. Silver plated cable should not be drier, that's for sure. I wonder if you will notice the difference in a few dozen hours. Please let us know.
Sorry my fault. It should be

Silver plated has less controlled AND less dry (means fuller but little bloated) bass

Mar 31, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #12,457 of 12,974
Maybe its brain burn in. But after letting it play the whole night things seems so get better.
Bloated bass is way better and overall the silver plated has much less noise/artifacts/artificial sound compared to the copper. Cleaner image and separation. Waiting for the vocals to come out more prominent that’s what seems at the moment to be a little step behind the copper

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #12,458 of 12,974
Maybe its brain burn in. But after letting it play the whole night things seems so get better.
Bloated bass is way better and overall the silver plated has much less noise/artifacts/artificial sound compared to the copper. Cleaner image and separation. Waiting for the vocals to come out more prominent that’s what seems at the moment to be a little step behind the copper
Did you listen at the same time of day, were just as tired/refreshed as the last time and did you feel more or less stress?

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #12,459 of 12,974
Did you listen at the same time of day, were just as tired/refreshed as the last time and did you feel more or less stress?
No I did not. But I think the difference between both cables should be equal, despite other circumstances.
But for now I feel the silver plated got better in critic points and even better in good points while the copper stays the same. Maybe silver plated needs more time as you guys said than the copper one or silver plated changes more with time than copper does

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #12,460 of 12,974
Hi there, im a new Empyrean owner and i have some question regarding cable choice:

I have both Meze upgrade cables to test (pure copper and silver-plated copper, and i am a litte confused what i expected with these.
Both are 4,4mm Pentaconn.
In opposite to the many reviews i feel the silver-plated cable is much "warmer", has more body in case of vocals and also more relaxed to hear to. Much more bass.
The pure copper one instead is more forward, overall much brighter in terms of vocals and treble, also tighter bass and more dynamic kicks and cymbals,...

Is there any way one of the cables can be defect? :)
I feel i am the only one who has this impression and i am really really confused.
I think for our brain adjusting to new cables takes time. Probably more time than adjusting to new components like DACs and amps. Also, the differences in cables may vary depending on the audio system. I owned both Meze upgrade cables. I think both are tremendous improvements versus the stock cable. They both improve in clarity, refinement, detail retrieval. The copper upgrade cable to me sounds thicker and warmer, hazier versus the silver-plated upgrade cable. The silver-plated sounds thinner, but a lot cleaner even compared to the copper upgrade cable. Both are nice cables and clear upgrades compared to the stock one. I prefer mids on the copper as it sounds slightly warmer, more natural. The clarity upgrade of the silver-plated cable however is undeniable. I find my WyWires Platinum cable combines the strengths of both. The enhanced clarity of the silver-plated one while keeping the pleasant tone of the copper. YMMV

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #12,461 of 12,974
Another one who says the copper sounds warmer and the silver plated sounds thinner.

My impression so far is the opposite. Silver plated a lot warmer. Copper a lot thinner and sterile/artificial
I think for our brain adjusting to new cables takes time. Probably more time than adjusting to new components like DACs and amps. Also, the differences in cables may vary depending on the audio system. I owned both Meze upgrade cables. I think both are tremendous improvements versus the stock cable. They both improve in clarity, refinement, detail retrieval. The copper upgrade cable to me sounds thicker and warmer, hazier versus the silver-plated upgrade cable. The silver-plated sounds thinner, but a lot cleaner even compared to the copper upgrade cable. Both are nice cables and clear upgrades compared to the stock one. I prefer mids on the copper as it sounds slightly warmer, more natural. The clarity upgrade of the silver-plated cable however is undeniable. I find my WyWires Platinum cable combines the strengths of both. The enhanced clarity of the silver-plated one while keeping the pleasant tone of the copper. YMMV

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #12,462 of 12,974
Another one who says the copper sounds warmer and the silver plated sounds thinner.

My impression so far is the opposite. Silver plated a lot warmer. Copper a lot thinner and sterile/artificial
I find your impression as 'another one' interesting. I don't doubt your experience, but I am curious to find the causes. Did you give enough time your ears to adjust? What DAC/amp are you using?

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #12,463 of 12,974
I find your impression as 'another one' interesting. I don't doubt your experience, but I am curious to find the causes. Did you give enough time your ears to adjust? What DAC/amp are you using?
I tested both cables out of the box. Not familiar with both of them.
I use them on my brand new empyrean with the new angled alcantara pads.

DAC/Amp is FiiO Q7 feeding from Tidal/Roon through my IPhone

Apr 1, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #12,464 of 12,974
Hello friends,

I have the Meze 109 Pro and would be very interested if someone could compare the Empyrean to it. I like the 109 Pro bass and I also think its resolution is enough for me. I quite enjoy the signature (don't know if that is a transversal to all Meze HP). Some people complaints about the treble but I have no issues with it.

Anyway, I already have too many Dynamic HP and wanted a Planar one, but not too heavy as the 109 Pro is almost at the limit of what I would consider comfortable for my neck.

So the obvious choices seem to be on the Meze brand and If I consider the Elite a tad too expensive (on the used market) for what is acceptable to me, the Empyrean seems to be a good compromise, more expensive than the liric but seems also better in almost every department and since I don't need a closed back HP, I've ruled out the liric, rightfully I hope.

It is warmer it seems but how does it compares to the 109 Pro in that department? I listen mostly to Progressive Instrumental Metal and the Empyrean seems to fit the bill in many ways.

Anyway I would really appreciate some insight from people who know well these 2 models, or even better the all Meze range! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Cheers.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #12,465 of 12,974
Hello friends,

I have the Meze 109 Pro and would be very interested if someone could compare the Empyrean to it. I like the 109 Pro bass and I also think its resolution is enough for me. I quite enjoy the signature (don't know if that is a transversal to all Meze HP). Some people complaints about the treble but I have no issues with it.

Anyway, I already have too many Dynamic HP and wanted a Planar one, but not too heavy as the 109 Pro is almost at the limit of what I would consider comfortable for my neck.

So the obvious choices seem to be on the Meze brand and If I consider the Elite a tad too expensive (on the used market) for what is acceptable to me, the Empyrean seems to be a good compromise, more expensive than the liric but seems also better in almost every department and since I don't need a closed back HP, I've ruled out the liric, rightfully I hope.

It is warmer it seems but how does it compares to the 109 Pro in that department? I listen mostly to Progressive Instrumental Metal and the Empyrean seems to fit the bill in many ways.

Anyway I would really appreciate some insight from people who know well these 2 models, or even better the all Meze range! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Cheers.
I had the 109 Pro before and Switched to the empyrean.
I’m really treable sensitive so the 109 was a little too much in the treble.

Empyrean is overall in my opinion an in many ways adulted 109 but not so much focus on the treble. More relaxed but anyhow on the fun side in comparison to other top headphones. In my opinion empyrean has nothing absolutely outstanding but makes also nothing wrong. Good overall package of really good sounding headphone.
The flexibility of the three EarPads makes it kind of versatile.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back