Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 18, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #12,213 of 12,974
The diaphragm crinkle that many have reported about, is that a big problem? and is it something that can be heard while listening to music?
I've had my pair for over a year, never heard of this possible issue until now

Dec 20, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #12,214 of 12,974
I've had my pair for over a year, never heard of this possible issue until now
Good to hear, but before I spend 2999€ I want to know why so many people complain about this and if the problem occurs while listening to music, right now I feel that it is not a good idea to buy any expensive headphones, all regardless of price seem to have some problems.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #12,215 of 12,974
Good to hear, but before I spend 2999€ I want to know why so many people complain about this and if the problem occurs while listening to music, right now I feel that it is not a good idea to buy any expensive headphones, all regardless of price seem to have some problems.
I've never heard of any kind of issue with the Empyreans. Can you cite specific examples, please? I'd be interested in reading more.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #12,216 of 12,974
I’ve seen a few reports of this scattered around the web. It seems to be a thing with planars, hence the “planar crinkle” moniker.

I suspect that it has something to do with owners “mishandling” their headphones. You need to be quite gentle when putting them on/taking them off and avoid pressing the pads when they’re on your head or on a stand etc.

Things like hard clapping or door slamming in the same room are probably I’ll advised. I’ve even wondered if a nearby open window on a mildly windy day could pose a problem, as I watched my curtains being drawn towards and blown away from the window (sometimes quite aggressively).

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #12,220 of 12,974
I will probably order Empyrean directly from Meze at the end of January.
Just listening to mine on my SE180 (SEM4). A full silver cable really opens them up without losing that lovely soul. They respond well to tweaks just like the Elites.

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #12,222 of 12,974
I also loved the Alcantara best but I have recently switched to the leather and haven't looked back for a while now. They are both different flavours. It's nice to have the choice.

Funny I found the Stellia ridiculously comfortable. They just had zero bass. Empyrean were so much better for my tastes.

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #12,223 of 12,974
Dec 30, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #12,224 of 12,974
Looking back at 2022 I'd say that for me personally the Empyrean was my best audio purchase. It took the postal services a full month to get it from Austria to the Netherlands but it's forgiven by the sheer joy the Empyrean brings.
I swapped the pads out for elite pads and 'upgraded' the cable to the silver-plated meze cables. Pads make the difference :wink:
With the elite pads I get some more treble details and less of the mid-bass bump compared to the Empyrean pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back