Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 11, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #12,241 of 12,999
I've been thinking about ordering some Empyrean pads for my Elites. I've only had them for about a month, but I like the extra space the Suede pads put between my ears and the driver. I just don't like how they soak up some of the bass thump (I'm a bit of a bass head). I also like the extra clamp. How do the Empyrean leather pads affect sound?

I must try some Empyreans too. They could be a better fit for me, but I found some Elites used for a price I was happy with and just took a punt on them. Unfortunately there are not many places here in Ireland to try out nice headphones so its usually a case of buy to try. Only 1 Meze dealer in the country last time I checked and I'm still waiting for a call back since October to see if they finally have some new demo units in stock. I was hoping to try out as many as I could as well as a few other brands they stock.
The Empyrean (leather) pads on the Elites are (IMO) the perfect pad. They really widen the soundstage without sacrificing any of the technical abilities of the Elite. All of the Elite precision and sound "correctness" remains, but with the added benefit of soundstage.

As for the Empyrean, I find them very musical and they always put a smile on my face and I start bobbing my head and tapping my toes when I'm listening to stuff I like. They're really good headphones.

HOWEVER, they are very "heavy" compared to the Elites. The Elite have an airiness and nimbleness the Empyrean lack. I use my Empyrean to watch movies and TV and enjoy music, while I use my Elite to listen for the details on the music.

Jan 11, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #12,242 of 12,999
For me personally getting the Elite pads changed my view on Empyrean. With the elite pads I cannot fault anything in their sound signature or comfort, stock pads give more width but also a lot more mid bass. I was just wondering what @ColSaulTigh take on them is as he recommends the empyrean leather pads for Elite.
I have recently bought some additional Elite Hybrid pads for the Empyrean.

Normally I prefer the Alcantara on Empy which have a lovely airy signature and great soundstage but the bass is tamed. The leather has more bass. The Hybrid creates quite a nice balance between the two.

That's subjective. I prefer the Empyrean sound signature over the Elite signature. I prefer the more bass and more mids of the empyread vs the more neutral and more highs of the Elite.
I completely understand that as well. It's the reason I still have both. Bit of a bass head here as well. The Elite's are technically better in almost all areas but still has good bass. I love both. Empyrean is unbeatable with R&B and Hip-Hop.

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #12,243 of 12,999
I should also add that both headphones can make me sit and just listen/feel the music. They are both superb like that.

The Elite gives me an insight into the music while still being very soulful.

The Empyrean just makes me shut up and listen.

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #12,245 of 12,999
The mid-bass hump that so many mention in a negative sense, can it be cured with EQ?
To a certain extent, yes.

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #12,246 of 12,999
Jan 11, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #12,247 of 12,999
The mid-bass hump that so many mention in a negative sense, can it be cured with EQ?
Hmm, well yes the Empyrean, like many planar headphones, responds well to EQ.

But I have to ask, if you are thinking of 'curing' the Empyrean of it's midbass warmth, is it the headphone for you?

Jan 11, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #12,248 of 12,999
Just ordered some Empyrean pads for my Elites. It will be interesting to see what they are like.

I've played with only a little bit of EQ on my Elites so far, but honestly all I've found myself liking is a few dB more sub-bass. Its one of those headphones I find hard to improve with EQ because its already so good. I think its the opposite to my K702s in that regard. EQ turns the K702s from something I hate to something that boggles my mind with how good it is for the money. I think a small reduction of about -1db around 330hz helps with what I think people call the mid-bass hump. Just adds a small bit of clarity to my ears. As with anything Audio related, YMMV.

Jan 11, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #12,249 of 12,999
Just ordered some Empyrean pads for my Elites. It will be interesting to see what they are like.

I've played with only a little bit of EQ on my Elites so far, but honestly all I've found myself liking is a few dB more sub-bass. Its one of those headphones I find hard to improve with EQ because its already so good. I think its the opposite to my K702s in that regard. EQ turns the K702s from something I hate to something that boggles my mind with how good it is for the money. I think a small reduction of about -1db around 330hz helps with what I think people call the mid-bass hump. Just adds a small bit of clarity to my ears. As with anything Audio related, YMMV.
I have seen much praise for the k702 with eq. Very interesting.

Jan 11, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #12,250 of 12,999
I’m stuck at the moment on whether to get the Empyrean or Elite.
Summing up all the comments:
Get the Elite AND the Empyrean.
Then you have all the details, all the fun and all the pads to mix.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #12,251 of 12,999

I messed around with EQ with the Elites too and in the end I did exactly the same as you. All of the EQs I found (oratory & jakkkkkkafffffsssdon) which are normally great made it sound horrible with my current setup. Same story with the Empyreans.

A few dB of extra sub bass in to the Elites increases the bass nicely (more like Empy I guess) without affecting the additional details. Just perfect. The Elites have powerful bass as well, it just shows up when called for rather than being there all the time. I guess how it should be technically but as mentioned I do love my bass.

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #12,254 of 12,999
One important aspect to consider for people choosing Empyrean vs. Elite, and mixing pads, w/o audition:
With Elite the tip of my ear was touching the grill slightly. Empy pads are significantly deeper, so no such problem. Ofc it's all individual, if you know you have huge locators (like me) - beware.

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #12,255 of 12,999
I messed around with EQ with the Elites too and in the end I did exactly the same as you. All of the EQs I found (oratory & jakkkkkkafffffsssdon) which are normally great made it sound horrible with my current setup. Same story with the Empyreans.

A few dB of extra sub bass in to the Elites increases the bass nicely (more like Empy I guess) without affecting the additional details. Just perfect. The Elites have powerful bass as well, it just shows up when called for rather than being there all the time. I guess how it should be technically but as mentioned I do love my bass.
Makes sense. The only thing making me hesitant about going Empyrean is that some say there is a slight veil over mid range and vocals. I don't like veiled sounding anything especially when it messes with a frequency that I know is off immediately. Is that typically the case? This being such a subjective hobby makes it difficult when reviewers and alike are nearly 50/50. I do enjoy warm and musical though, just not stuffy warm sounding or rolled off treble detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back