Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 2, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #9,241 of 12,974
I have balanced and SE cables for most all of my headphones...and honestly there is little or no difference between them that I can honestly say make a really
awesome difference.

The balanced dual signals with separate grounds have definite electrical attributes but sonically its a big "meh" for me....

My experience is limited but a lot of people says that balanced has no adventage over goog implementation of SE.

I only have tried balanced once with woo wa22 and imagining was noticeably worse than with my current Ayon ha3. There may be many factors here obviously

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #9,242 of 12,974
I recently came across this review that succinctly conveys my thoughts on the Empyrean accurately.
https://audiobacon.net/2020/10/24/3000-meze-empyrean-headphones-review/5/

Having just come off a listening session from the HD800S ; switching headphones I'm enjoying the musicality of the Empyrean. Reviews aside, it's a matter of "do I like it". The cost isn't really a factor. I already own the headphones. The answer is simply 'yes'. The Empyreans tempt you to close your eyes and melt into the music whereas the HD800S invite you to concentrate on the details. Whilst the LCD-4 and Utopia are on my 'should I' list ; my gut tells me I need to improve my DAC/Amp before I search for the next headphone. I'm happy with what I have.

My next question is whether I purchase a Simaudio Moon 430HAD which really bring out the detail and heights of rich musicality that the Empyrean can achieve. The pairing was magnificent. The WA11 Topaz is an 'okay' transportable, small footprint solution -> if someone can think of something better, please do let me know!
Thanks for your characterization of the Empyrean. I have a few of the TOTL cans, but recently I find myself falling back to good solid copper cables and seeking a pair of cans that is both comfortable in terms of wearing and being simply musical and enjoyable. Reading through this thread, it does seem to me that this would be a right choice.

@bluestorm1992 @lumdicks @bigbeans: how is the pairing with the C9? My desktop amp, Cavalli Liquid Gold, is SS. Just wondering if the nutube side of the C9 will be a good match for the Empyrean? Your views would be much appreciated. 🙏

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #9,243 of 12,974
Thanks for your characterization of the Empyrean. I have a few of the TOTL cans, but recently I find myself falling back to good solid copper cables and seeking a pair of cans that is both comfortable in terms of wearing and being simply musical and enjoyable. Reading through this thread, it does seem to me that this would be a right choice.

@bluestorm1992 @lumdicks @bigbeans: how is the pairing with the C9? My desktop amp, Cavalli Liquid Gold, is SS. Just wondering if the nutube side of the C9 will be a good match for the Empyrean? Your views would be much appreciated. 🙏
It pairs very good with C9 for different sources. As the Empy is having a darker sound characteristic, I prefer using the SS Mode to Tube Mode of the C9. Despite the Empy can be driven by DAPs, the imaging, dynamics and micro-details scale well with additional power of C9. Highly recommended. :)

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #9,244 of 12,974

Yeah, I'm going to agree with @lumdicks regarding nutubes. The Empyrean is darker and when I used Nutubes, it was richer and darker. It was a guilty pleasure, but doesn't do the Empyrean justice. I switched to SS. SS Class A is crazy good. There is a tad more clarity and it seems the headphone is a tad more resolute. This is the combination imho to use, especially with a silver cable. I have some custom cables from Norne coming in soon, so I'll let y'all know how that pairing is.

I haven't used High Gain yet by the way. I'd say C9 is an EXCELLENT amp with Empyrean, I wouldn't have any reservations.

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #9,245 of 12,974

I don't have the Empyrean (yet), just the Diana V2. :sweat_smile: If you ever got interested in Diana V2 +C9, hit me up.

Apr 3, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #9,246 of 12,974
@lumdicks @bluestorm1992 @bigbeans Thanks guys for the quick response 🤗 tells me what I need to know. I suspect in my old age, my ears appreciate a dark luxuriant sound more than I used to. :)

@bluestorm1992 : ah... I was pondering the Diana but since I already have the Abyss... my DOA C9 is being replaced. But thanks for offering. 🙏

Apr 3, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #9,247 of 12,974
Yeah, I'm going to agree with @lumdicks regarding nutubes. The Empyrean is darker and when I used Nutubes, it was richer and darker. It was a guilty pleasure, but doesn't do the Empyrean justice. I switched to SS. SS Class A is crazy good. There is a tad more clarity and it seems the headphone is a tad more resolute. This is the combination imho to use, especially with a silver cable. I have some custom cables from Norne coming in soon, so I'll let y'all know how that pairing is.

I haven't used High Gain yet by the way. I'd say C9 is an EXCELLENT amp with Empyrean, I wouldn't have any reservations.

Look forward to your impressions of the Norne cables. The one good thing about the mini XLR connectors is that I have lotsa of those cables lying around the house, from my days when my TOTL cans were the Audezes and Beyerdymanic.

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #9,248 of 12,974
I see lot of impression saying Empyrean as Dark. It's not really Dark but is warm. The empyrean that I heard had lot of energy in upper mid and then higher treble. Don't know why its described as Dark. Yes, it's warm and have good mid bass bump.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #9,251 of 12,974
I tormented over buying these or the Diana V2's - I ended up going with the Diana V2's and I am definitely not disappointed with that decision. That being said, I will HAVE to own these one day. Such great design.

Exactly what happened to me a year ago.

In this (long) weekend I got loaned Empyrean though, so all good.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #9,252 of 12,974
...Despite the Empy can be driven by DAPs, the imaging, dynamics and micro-details scale well with additional power of C9...
Given how well the Romi Audio BX2+ pairs w/ my Heddphone (sourced from my Hugo2go), I suggest the BX2+ as an alternative to the C9. Strictly Class A solid-state, so not as versatile as C9, but less than half the price.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #9,253 of 12,974
I see lot of impression saying Empyrean as Dark. It's not really Dark but is warm. The empyrean that I heard had lot of energy in upper mid and then higher treble. Don't know why its described as Dark. Yes, it's warm and have good mid bass bump.
I strongly agree with this. I think of something like the Ether 2 as being dark. The Empyrean has enough presence throughout to not be considered dark.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #9,254 of 12,974
I strongly agree with this. I think of something like the Ether 2 as being dark. The Empyrean has enough presence throughout to not be considered dark.
I definitely agree Empy's are not dark. I think they are not really that warm either. Treble is really extended. When compared to such dark HP's like Audeze lcd2f it is really visible. I think it is that a lot of HPs nowadays are really bright. I would call Empys a natural headphones. I personally like dark sound, Empys are more bright than i usually like but their treble is so smooth that i like it.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #9,255 of 12,974
I definitely agree Empy's are not dark. I think they are not really that warm either. Treble is really extended. When compared to such dark HP's like Audeze lcd2f it is really visible. I think it is that a lot of HPs nowadays are really bright. I would call Empys as natural.
I agree, I think I also just struggle with comparisons a bit because of the headphones I compare with the Meze. I have compared some Ether Flows, ZMF Verite and these. None of these I think REALLY fall into the neutral category (as described by others) but they always feel really balanced to me. Maybe that is just what it is like being in high end head-fi though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back