Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 31, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #9,211 of 12,999
Using a smaller Neve RHNP amp right now, Class A, SS old school type from a master of music who just passed away.

Its a $499 amp, that has been passed over by other good amps costing less...but I am a sucker for old school looking amps and that
"RED" Neve volume knob...

On the front it states "RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier".....awesome little box.

Pairs nicely with the Empys!

Ah life is good!

Alex

1617224505167.png
What is your DAC and how would you describe the sound from the amp? Warm/neutral, spacious/intimate, detailed/more musical? Thanks

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #9,212 of 12,999
The only dac i use now-a-days is the Schiit Bifrost 2.

I had the Bifrost 1 here for a few years, and auditioned several other dacs including a Chord Hugo TT2 for $5495.
The Bifrost 2 was as good as the Chord and a bunch of others and in some cases much better to my ears.

I am a staunch convert to the Mulitbit stuff that Schiit makes. I leave it on all the time.

Its pretty neutral to me, just does PCM / Redbook and does it very well.

Maybe someday I might be talked into a YGGY 2 or its follow up..but for now my dac hunt is over.

Alex

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #9,213 of 12,999
The only dac i use now-a-days is the Schiit Bifrost 2.

I had the Bifrost 1 here for a few years, and auditioned several other dacs including a Chord Hugo TT2 for $5495.
The Bifrost 2 was as good as the Chord and a bunch of others and in some cases much better to my ears.

I am a staunch convert to the Mulitbit stuff that Schiit makes. I leave it on all the time.

Its pretty neutral to me, just does PCM / Redbook and does it very well.

Maybe someday I might be talked into a YGGY 2 or its follow up..but for now my dac hunt is over.

Alex
I used to own the TT2. I think it is a fantastic all in one unit, but very expensive indeed. These days for half the price I can enjoy music just as much and the bits I might miss from the sound presentation aren't worth another couple grands over my current system for me. I do love Chord products though, but my wallet has its limits.

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #9,214 of 12,999
I have just heard some extremely illuminating thoughts on a live stream from The Headphone Show YouTube channel.

1, You don't need a better/more expensive amp or DAC than the SMSL or THX789 as the improvement you get with higher end DAC/amp is extremely minimal, almost nothing.
2, The LCD-X and the LCD-2 have better tuning than the Empyrean.

Given that they are not huge Audeze fans at all, this tells a lot about their opinion on the Empyrean. I am still a bit puzzled.
Do not believe reviewers know their stuff just because they are on YouTube. There are other reviews that love them. Trust your ears.

Mar 31, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #9,215 of 12,999
I use to trust the opinion of Andrew from Headphone.com and Josh. However, after I own Arya myself, which they praised a lot, I find they have quite a different taste from mine. Arya is very analytical and dry-sounding to me. The image is artificially over-sharp tbh. The timber of it is not natural at all. I simply couldn't understand how could they love these cans so much. Right now, I doubt their understanding of what is true "resolution" and what is, IMO, the hardware "EQ" effect. "Currawong" and "Passion for Sound" are much more unbias and trustworthy.

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #9,217 of 12,999
Do not believe reviewers know their stuff just because they are on YouTube. There are other reviews that love them. Trust your ears.
I don't believe anyone just because they are on YouTube. I do trust my ears, but thanks.
I use to trust the opinion of Andrew from Headphone.com and Josh. However, after I own Arya myself, which they praised a lot, I find they have quite a different taste from mine. Arya is very analytical and dry-sounding to me. The image is artificially over-sharp tbh. The timber of it is not natural at all. I simply couldn't understand how could they love these cans so much. Right now, I doubt their understanding of what is true "resolution" and what is, IMO, the hardware "EQ" effect. "Currawong" and "Passion for Sound" are much more unbias and trustworthy.
Exactly my experience.

Apr 1, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #9,218 of 12,999
Apr 1, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #9,219 of 12,999
Unfortunately I never heard an EL33 Tube, is it similar to EL34 or KT88 in requirements?
EL33 is a bit rare as it is not in production. It is the same as EL3N but with a different base.
It is a much lower power valve than KT88. KT88 will take 800V (!) and run at 200mA, though typically used at 250 to 500V or so, 100mA upwards.
The EL33 limits are very much lower, typically runs at 150 to 250V, 20 to 35mA.
So it would not be a direct plugin replacement in the V16.

The EL33/EL3N are typically used single ended, triode connected, in amps of about 1 watt.
Sound quality as triode is very good, with fine tonality, reckoned comparable to directly heated triodes like the 4P1L (often used for headphone amps) and perhaps even the 45 (which I use in my speaker system).

As it's a bit obscure, not in production, and supplies are limited, it's only suitable for the occasional use by DIYers - suits me! :wink:

Apr 1, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #9,220 of 12,999
I recently came across this review that succinctly conveys my thoughts on the Empyrean accurately.
https://audiobacon.net/2020/10/24/3000-meze-empyrean-headphones-review/5/

Having just come off a listening session from the HD800S ; switching headphones I'm enjoying the musicality of the Empyrean. Reviews aside, it's a matter of "do I like it". The cost isn't really a factor. I already own the headphones. The answer is simply 'yes'. The Empyreans tempt you to close your eyes and melt into the music whereas the HD800S invite you to concentrate on the details. Whilst the LCD-4 and Utopia are on my 'should I' list ; my gut tells me I need to improve my DAC/Amp before I search for the next headphone. I'm happy with what I have.

My next question is whether I purchase a Simaudio Moon 430HAD which really bring out the detail and heights of rich musicality that the Empyrean can achieve. The pairing was magnificent. The WA11 Topaz is an 'okay' transportable, small footprint solution -> if someone can think of something better, please do let me know!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #9,221 of 12,999
@Tanalasta !

You hit the nail on the head, you win the prize!

I often have said that the Empyreans are for listening to music with....and enjoying the performance.
Cost be damned!

The Empys indeed make me close my eyes often and enjoy the music and its presentation.
Awesome in this regard.

I think the actual music u listen to, the source is the BIGGEST factor here for these cans....

Having a neutral amp /dac IMO is also something to think about, but its a lot less important that one would have you believe IMO.

I have amps from $99 to $3500 and have had higher cost amps....they all work great...but I in my bias love the HPA-1 amp and Bifrost 2 dac.

Steve G. has loved the HPA-1 for years, and also the 430HD...both are great TOTL type of amps for sure.

Contact Todd at: https://www.ttvjaudio.com/

You might be able to get a loaner? Or buy from a dealer that will allow you to return etc..

Alex

Apr 1, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #9,222 of 12,999
Since we are talking about Rupert Neve , kindly check my review (translation needed)

https://www.hxosplus.gr/reviews/rupert-neve-rnhp-review/
1617286853621.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back