Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 1, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #9,226 of 12,999
Try this for soudstage, layering, vocals, bass, detail.....awesome!

Try the song "Whiteworld"....

1617304197802.png

Apr 1, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #9,227 of 12,999
The sound quality out of Holo Cyan is really good. The balance amp section is excellent with r2r dac puts out amazing bass.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #9,228 of 12,999
Try this for soudstage, layering, vocals, bass, detail.....awesome!

Try the song "Whiteworld"....

1617304197802.png
It really is. Is it available somewhere in downloadable form? Unfortunately Qobuz has only some demo version. Fortunately many other albums from her.

I thought: finally a recording that has so much soft sweet bass that I can enjoy the Empy even from the R8. For my ears the Empy is much better match with the Kann Cube. Then I realized: as I've hidden the Forza Noir Hybrid HPC with 4.4 termination somewhere, so I took the old Hybrid series HPC with 2.5 termination+ 2.5->4.4 adapter. Started to be suspicious. Checked some other tracks that I do not like from the R8. I can not believe my ears. They sound good. Searched for the Noir Forza in a rush to prove - Yesss, with the Noir the sound become too agressive from rhe R8. So much about my not believing in cables. The Noir now goes to the LCD3 to see how it works there.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #9,229 of 12,999
It really is. Is it available somewhere in downloadable form? Unfortunately Qobuz has only some demo version. Fortunately many other albums from her.

I thought: finally a recording that has so much soft sweet bass that I can enjoy the Empy even from the R8. For my ears the Empy is much better match with the Kann Cube. Then I realized: as I've hidden the Forza Noir Hybrid HPC with 4.4 termination somewhere, so I took the old Hybrid series HPC with 2.5 termination+ 2.5->4.4 adapter. Started to be suspicious. Checked some other tracks that I do not like from the R8. I can not believe my ears. They sound good. Searched for the Noir Forza in a rush to prove - Yesss, with the Noir the sound become too agressive from rhe R8. So much about my not believing in cables. The Noir now goes to the LCD3 to see how it works there.
Tidal has the whole song and you're right... this is an awesome listen on the Empy!

1617315916688.png

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #9,230 of 12,999
Hi there fellow Empy fans, I just received my Jet Black Set yesterday, and am beyond thrilled so far, thanks to the folks at Audio 46 for having them in my hands in a day's time!
I'm a long time Sennheiser HD 59X owner (was a HD 595 owner partly thanks to recommendations here back in 2004) who has very recently become more interested in higher grade products. That led me to the Focal Elegia and Elex (after auditioning the Sundaras as well), and I also picked up a Topping DX7 Pro on the way.

As much as I like my Elexes and Elegias, I find them both just a wee bit bright for my music, which is not typical audiophile type stuff- I listen to industrial, punk, new wave...basically, a lot of music that REALLY doesn't need the forward, resolving treble of a lot of audiophile grade products.

Of course, when I first came across the Meze Empyrean (searching for something more even handed with a decent soundstage), I balked at the price, but also instantly fell in love with the design language, just beautiful and functional. To a long time HD 595/598 owner who games and listens for long sessions, some of the heavier Planars are not an option, SQ be damned. These are to be my daily drivers.

And what daily drivers these are turning out to be!

The reason I'm posting here is that with these types of music, the Empyreans really are incredible. They have handled everything I've thrown at them so far, so enjoyable. Actually, the word that really comes to mind is astonishing.

As many have said before, these cans do not push treble in your face. Many may not like that, which I certainly understand. However, I really don't feel like I'm missing much in terms of detail with the Empys, and they deliver sound in such an amazing, natural way. Female vocals in particular- my goodness. I've been listening to Siouxsie and the Banshees, Tori Amos, and Billie Holiday albums back-to-back-to-back because it's honestly spine tingling, it absolutely sounds like they're standing right next to me, stunningly real. The soundstage, instrument separation, detail retrieval- just very even handed without being even remotely dull. Wide soundstage, but not artificial. Same with instrument separation.

They are defintely not shy about bass, but I would say they deliver it in a very controlled, linear fashion most of the time. The only situation that I've had where the bass really threatened to muddy up the mix was playing Cyberpunk 2077, which has been one of my favorite tests for new headphones- riding around Night City in traffic, music blaring, just a lot of different stuff going on. The Empys handled this well, though, great soundstage and separation, and even when the bass seemed to bubble up from everywhere, delivered a visceral, amazing gaming experience.

Again, for people who like first and foremost detail retrieval, these may not the right choice. However, this is a great headphone for someone not afraid to shell out the money and who-

- Likes a lot of different types of music, including harsh, bright stuff that actively attempts to decapitate the listener, but yet want the threats to be delivered in resolving, satisfying, complete fashion. Versatile.

- If you like to listen to music/game with your headphones for entirely too long, these are definitely great cans for comfort.

- For folks who appreciate innovative, high quality, elegant designs, the Meze Empyreans are truly marvelous to handle and behold.

In conclusion of my mini-review, I would say that I feel like I got all of my money's worth and then some. I've just been sitting here, listening to tracks that I've loved for 20-30 years, and keep hearing entirely new things. I totally get it. This is what this hobby is all about. Gobsmacked, slack-jawed. Totally in love with these cans and the sounds coming into my ears.

Thanks Meze and Audio 46, fantastic job!

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #9,231 of 12,999
Using a smaller Neve RHNP amp right now, Class A, SS old school type from a master of music who just passed away.

Its a $499 amp, that has been passed over by other good amps costing less...but I am a sucker for old school looking amps and that
"RED" Neve volume knob...

On the front it states "RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier".....awesome little box.

Pairs nicely with the Empys!

Ah life is good!

Alex

Class A, old school .... music to my ears! OK, I like valves (when done well), but I don't have a down on SS.
I well believe this amp sounds good. As it's old school it may use discrete junction transistors rather than FETs, op amps and ICs, and some say the former sound better.
In particular as it's class A it is unlikely to use a PNP/NPN push/pull circuit (with lots of NFB to fix the crossover distortion), as often used.
Above all it's from a designer who knew what music sounds like, and with the skill to get good results.

I had a Rogers A75 power amp in the speaker system for many years as it sounded good. Solid state, but with output transformers; I guess it used a circuit very like a valve push/pull amp, with the transistors in class A all or most of the time. Different than most other SS amps ... different and better.

I have an old school tuner, Pioneer F5, from about the 1980s, bought for £2 so I couldn't refuse it. Sounds good.
Later I decided to upgrade, got a recent modern tuner of a known hifi brand, great specs, well reviewed. You can guess the punch line, do I have to spell it out? :wink:
Old school with old fashioned transistors can be very good sounding!

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #9,232 of 12,999
The Rupert Neve is using op amps and namely the famous TPA6120A2 biased into class A favoring a larger voltage swing than current delivery.

I didn't like it with the Empyrean but it sounded great with the HD650/660S.

My review at Greek.

https://www.hxosplus.gr/reviews/rupert-neve-rnhp-review/

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #9,233 of 12,999
Tidal has the whole song and you're right... this is an awesome listen on the Empy!

1617315916688.png
Thanks! That album exist on Qobuz as well, but not the "Live: A Fortnight in France"

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #9,234 of 12,999
The Rupert Neve is using op amps and namely the famous TPA6120A2 biased into class A favoring a larger voltage swing than current delivery.

I didn't like it with the Empyrean but it sounded great with the HD650/660S.

My review at Greek.

https://www.hxosplus.gr/reviews/rupert-neve-rnhp-review/
Thanks, I stand corrected! I like to learn.
Anyway I wonder if it's in effect single ended; might explain good sound quality.

I guess it might have an output impedance somewhat too high to be a perfect match for Empyrean, but fine with the HD's.

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #9,235 of 12,999
Thanks, I stand corrected! I like to learn.
Anyway I wonder if it's in effect single ended; might explain good sound quality.

I guess it might have an output impedance somewhat too high to be a perfect match for Empyrean, but fine with the HD's.
No , on the contrary the output impedance is too low 0.08Ω.
But somehow it didn't work well with the Empyrean at least for my ears.
Not necessarily from a technical point of view , but let's say synergy.

Apr 2, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #9,236 of 12,999
I understand the synergy, it works well with the EMPY's here for me...the difference between balanced and SE shouldnt really matter much in theory...but rather than go into the electrical details of this...I do notice a difference in the output of the RHNP when comparing SE to Balanced inputs....the SE inputs IMO sound a bit better....maybe my ears..
or the level outputs or gain maybe higher with the SE inputs than the balanced.

Either one works by I only use the SE input from my dac.

Apr 2, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #9,237 of 12,999

Same with me with respect to interconnectors. I got a nice opportunity to buy second hand Cardas Clear Reflection recently and it really makes a difference. 3d imagining and timbre really improved.

With headphone cable i have not really tried anything except FAW Noir hybrid.

Apr 2, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #9,239 of 12,999
I understand the synergy, it works well with the EMPY's here for me...the difference between balanced and SE shouldnt really matter much in theory...but rather than go into the electrical details of this...I do notice a difference in the output of the RHNP when comparing SE to Balanced inputs....the SE inputs IMO sound a bit better....maybe my ears..
or the level outputs or gain maybe higher with the SE inputs than the balanced.

Either one works by I only use the SE input from my dac.
It is very intersting. I do not have much experience with balanced, but as compared to SE i use my impression is that imagining is better with SE. Not really sure if it was just the gear i listened to, but i have also come across similar views.

Apr 2, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #9,240 of 12,999
I have balanced and SE cables for most all of my headphones...and honestly there is little or no difference between them that I can honestly say make a really
awesome difference.

The balanced dual signals with separate grounds have definite electrical attributes but sonically its a big "meh" for me....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back