Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 6, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #9,271 of 13,028
02D0706F-41F0-4CF2-9B91-476F2EB265E0.jpeg

I am not sure if y‘all will like this dreamy album from some time back. :)

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #9,272 of 13,028
In my opinion the Meze Empyrean is the ultimate package when it comes to the combination of comfort, build quality and sound. All the other flagships lack comfort or build quality in comparison or cost almost twice as much. The Empyrean has been out for two years now, but I still couldn't pick another headphone as a package, that excels in all of these three categories this well. Headphone comfort has become increasingly important for me and the Empyreans are hard to beat at comfort. Build quality is also second to none, and the sound overall is a sizable leap from mid-fi when it comes to refinement, cohesion and a detailed but smooth presentation.

The Empyrean is also a pretty great all-rounder when it comes to music genres: there is enough bass for EDM but can also eloquently represent orchestral music, which is a rare treat. Bass may not be as punchy as Audeze LCD4(z) but it is close. Resolution and detail is not as good as the HiFiMan flagships, but it is not far off. Not as spacious as the HD800S, but still has a great 3D space. They are easy to drive and super comfy to wear and listen to them all day long. The tonality is as easy on the ears as the weight is on the head.

I am not a detail or resolution hunter (anymore), I just want the best relaxed, overall headphone experience for the money, and for me the Empyrean offers just that. My ear sensitivity has also increased recently and even the Arya or the LCD-X can give me some listening fatigue after a few hours for different reasons. Arya: treble and details; LCD-X: extra dynamism (and weight). I doubt anyone has ever experienced listening fatigue with the laid back and smooth sounding Empyrean.

I think, some reviewers and audio enthusiasts just don't get what the Empyrean is about. They stuck deeply in the habit of over-analysing sound with frequency graphs and by doing so they miss the bigger picture, the essence of the Empyrean which is an outstanding and engaging, cohesive and smooth musical experience. Once I read a review where the writer drew a parallel between the Empyrean and impressionist paintings. He didn't go into details, but I think this is a great analogy which I will take a step further: if you start to analyse Van Gogh's or Monet's paint brush technique from 5 cm, you won't understand a thing of what these magnificent painters tried to convey. If you step back and embrace the whole painting, then you are giving art a chance to touch your soul. That is exactly what the Empyrean can do for me with music.

The black knight from Transylvania has landed:

IMG_20210406_140654.jpg

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #9,273 of 13,028
In my opinion the Meze Empyrean is the ultimate package when it comes to the combination of comfort, build quality and sound. All the other flagships lack comfort or build quality in comparison or cost almost twice as much. The Empyrean has been out for two years now, but I still couldn't pick another headphone as a package, that excels in all of these three categories this well. Headphone comfort has become increasingly important for me and the Empyreans are hard to beat at comfort. Build quality is also second to none, and the sound overall is a sizable leap from mid-fi when it comes to refinement, cohesion and a detailed but smooth presentation.

The Empyrean is also a pretty great all-rounder when it comes to music genres: there is enough bass for EDM but can also eloquently represent orchestral music, which is a rare treat. Bass may not be as punchy as Audeze LCD4(z) but it is close. Resolution and detail is not as good as the HiFiMan flagships, but it is not far off. Not as spacious as the HD800S, but still has a great 3D space. They are easy to drive and super comfy to wear and listen to them all day long. The tonality is as easy on the ears as the weight is on the head.

I am not a detail or resolution hunter (anymore), I just want the best relaxed, overall headphone experience for the money, and for me the Empyrean offers just that. My ear sensitivity has also increased recently and even the Arya or the LCD-X can give me some listening fatigue after a few hours for different reasons. Arya: treble and details; LCD-X: extra dynamism (and weight). I doubt anyone has ever experienced listening fatigue with the laid back and smooth sounding Empyrean.

I think, some reviewers and audio enthusiasts just don't get what the Empyrean is about. They stuck deeply in the habit of over-analysing sound with frequency graphs and by doing so they miss the bigger picture, the essence of the Empyrean which is an outstanding and engaging, cohesive and smooth musical experience. Once I read a review where the writer drew a parallel between the Empyrean and impressionist paintings. He didn't go into details, but I think this is a great analogy which I will take a step further: if you start to analyse Van Gogh's or Monet's paint brush technique from 5 cm, you won't understand a thing of what these magnificent painters tried to convey. If you step back and embrace the whole painting, then you are giving art a chance to touch your soul. That is exactly what the Empyrean can do for me with music.

Very well put indeed! I think it is tuned for folks who love the music and who want to listen to the music rather than their vaunted gear. As I am listening to it, it‘s akin to kicking back on your favourite arm chair with a glass of your favourite drink as you savor both liquid experiences. :)

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #9,275 of 13,028
Excellent and well written.
Enjoy your pair.

"....They stuck deeply in the habit of over-analysing sound with frequency graphs and by doing so they miss the bigger picture..."

I am just at the opposite camp.
Wow, super description:) Empys are all about music and overall picture but they do not really make a compromise on technical side, which is at least good.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #9,276 of 13,028

IMG_20210406_140654.jpg
How do you find the Burson with the Empyrean? 😊

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #9,277 of 13,028
How do you find the Burson with the Empyrean? 😊
I think it is a great pairing. In my opinion the Empyrean benefits from a clean, detailed and dynamic amp and the 3XP is like that but somehow retains a more analogue and rounded sound at the same time. Many clean and detailed amps can sound sterile and boring in their precision, but the 3XP portrays clarity and refinement without sounding analytical and sterile. Micro (and macro) dynamics are great; spaciousness (depth) and instrument placing is pretty much what one can wish for.
What the 3X offers over the popular and hyped more affordable amps like the THX789 and A90 is better resolution/refinement, more lifelike texture and a more tangible 3D space where the instruments are better separated.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #9,278 of 13,028
I think it is a great pairing. In my opinion the Empyrean benefits from a clean, detailed and dynamic amp and the 3XP is like that but somehow retains a more analogue and rounded sound at the same time. Many clean and detailed amps can sound sterile and boring in their precision, but the 3XP portrays clarity and refinement without sounding analytical and sterile. Micro (and macro) dynamics are great; spaciousness (depth) and instrument placing is pretty much what one can wish for.
What the 3X offers over the popular and hyped more affordable amps like the THX789 and A90 is better resolution/refinement, more lifelike texture and a more tangible 3D space where the instruments are better separated.
This is almost exactly what I would expect to conclude myself. My local HiFi pusher will come by with a Soloist as soon as it arrives from overseas, and I hope to be able to compare it with the Phonitor SE and perhaps an Auris and a Violectric over the weekend 😊 Fun times!

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #9,279 of 13,028

This is in line with my expirience with burson cv2+, although the sound is probably a bit softer than with burson 3. The most impressive thing in this combo is imagining.

20210406_200140.jpg

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #9,283 of 13,028
Have You compared Burson's balanced vs single ended output with Meze? I wonder if there is a difference, in particular with respect to imagining. Some say single ended is better here.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #9,284 of 13,028
Have You compared Burson's balanced vs single ended output with Meze? I wonder if there is a difference, in particular with respect to imagining. Some say single ended is better here.
I will receive my 4pin cable for the Empyrean in a week or so, when I will be able to answer this one. I did briefly compare the two outputs on the 3X with other headphones (Arya, LCD-X) and I have to say I was surprised how little difference there was between them. SE often sounds inferior to the BAL out on headphone amps but that certainly was not the case with the 3X. I don't have balanced cables right now, so I don't want to say more from memory, rather wait until I get the new 4pin XLR for the Empyrean.

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #9,285 of 13,028
I will receive my 4pin cable for the Empyrean in a week or so, when I will be able to answer this one. I did briefly compare the two outputs on the 3X with other headphones (Arya, LCD-X) and I have to say I was surprised how little difference there was between them. SE often sounds inferior to the BAL out on headphone amps but that certainly was not the case with the 3X. I don't have balanced cables right now, so I don't want to say more from memory, rather wait until I get the new 4pin XLR for the Empyrean.
Thanks, would be very interesting to know. Burson 3 (and cv2 as well) is quite a beast with lots of power via single ended output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back