Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 8, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #9,301 of 13,037
Music is more than sound, just like a painting is more than colours and shapes.
Good headphones can perfectly recreate sound. Exceptional headphones can connect us to music, to the artist's inspirational source.

Some brilliantly engineered headphones simply lack soul. The Empyrean has a delicate, refined and smooth soul which always shines through its full and luscious yet sophisticated sound in a sweet way.
This is an immeasurable quality. Many cars can take you from A to B, some can even do it in a fun way, but the same journey in a Pagani will be an experience. The Empyrean is the Pagani of headphones, and I am loving the experience.

IMG_20210408_104249.jpg
Wow, You should try writing some articles:) Seriously, Your description is very inspiring and original. Please write more:)

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #9,302 of 13,037
The Empyrean has a delicate, refined and smooth soul which always shines through its full and luscious yet sophisticated sound in a sweet way.
This is an immeasurable quality. Many cars can take you from A to B, some can even do it in a fun way, but the same journey in a Pagani will be an experience. The Empyrean is the Pagani of headphones, and I am loving the experience.
So well put!

I can only add that the same applies to Lotus cars - I have a 1976 Elite which is a real experience to drive.

Here is an example of delicate, refined, smooth music with soul.
On an analytical level, the voice is lovely, the backing absolutely superb in terms of the minor key tone which fits the song perfectly and the level giving gentle support to the singer, and the sound quality is very good.
But even more important to me is the emotional response; the emotion in this delicate song hits me like a hammer, shivers down my spine, I 'feel' the song - I love it.
I hope it does similar for others.

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #9,303 of 13,037
I'm absolutely loving the theme of the thread the last few days. I've discovered new music and stories I can relate to.

The Empy's are so dreamingly enjoyable.

I'm in the search for a headphone amplifier / DAC chain that will do them justice.

Having heard them from the SimAudio Moon 430HAD ... my WA11 doesn't quite drive them to their full potential.

Am wondering if Meze will eventually work out and release pads that amalgamate the luscious vocals and warm neutrality of the leather with the airy separation from the microfibre pads. In the meantime, I'm searching for my ideal DAC/Amp.

IMG_2439.jpeg

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #9,304 of 13,037
I prefer the Alacantra. I find them more comfortable, wider and warmer sounding. The leather are nice too of course but I rarely use them now.

As I mentioned above I am wondering about the Schiit Bifrost 2 and Schiit Jotenheim 2 combination or may save up for a TT2.

Would be nice to hear some opinions.

Anyway, a nice track on these for bass is Recognizer, track 4 on the Tron Legacy Album - Daft Punk.

Try to listen to that without goosebumps.

Turn it up👍

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #9,305 of 13,037
I'm absolutely loving the theme of the thread the last few days. I've discovered new music and stories I can relate to.

I'm in the search for a headphone amplifier / DAC chain that will do them justice.

Having heard them from the SimAudio Moon 430HAD ... my WA11 doesn't quite drive them to their full potential.

Am wondering if Meze will eventually work out and release pads that amalgamate the luscious vocals and warm neutrality of the leather with the airy separation from the microfibre pads. In the meantime, I'm searching for my ideal DAC/Amp.

Absolutely! Love how there is so much sharing. :) I was reading that the WA11 didn’t driving the Empys well. Hmm... I am going to try the Empy with the WA2 tomorrow. Fingers crossed... By the way, are those one of the specialty cables offered by Meze?

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #9,306 of 13,037
This evening I am trying my Empys on M15 LO as source (and streaming QQ Music) into the Cavalli Liquid Gold and balanced output. Music at upsampled to DSD using the built in capability of the M15. Really enjoying the music. Sonic bliss!

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #9,307 of 13,037
Absolutely! Love how there is so much sharing. :) I was reading that the WA11 didn’t driving the Empys well. Hmm... I am going to try the Empy with the WA2 tomorrow. Fingers crossed... By the way, are those one of the specialty cables offered by Meze?

The silver cable is the one from Meze.
https://mezeaudio.com/products/empyrean-balanced-silver-plated-pcuhd-upgrade-cable and came with my headphones.
Quoting Meze: "The Furukawa SILVER PLATED PCUHD Copper cables provide "a more resolute and detailed open sound" with "more cohesive and controlled" transients and "tighter and more controlled" bass. The sound is organic and lifelike in size and scope".

Whether it is indeed brighter etc... I'm yet to tell as I haven't done an A/B.

I had to purchase the 4 pin XLR -> 4.4mm balanced adapter though.

The WA11 drives the Empy's better than the FiiO M11 Pro (out of the 4.4mm jack) and probably will satisfy most. But once you've heard them from a TOTL amp, that imprints. The control and power is certainly enough. It may be the limitation of the ES9018M SABRE DAC and implementation more than the Amp. I see Woo Audio have (sneakily) removed the actual DAC chip number from their website specification.

At the end of the day, can't compare a $1000 WA11 with a >$3000 desktop solution. But I do. And I want the latter.

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #9,308 of 13,037
395AAA55-FD20-474F-AFC9-60A19448E47D.png

This is Woo Audio WA2. I’ve had this almost 7-8 years now. I had it gathering dust because I didn’t have enough DAC outlets but recently picked up a DI box so that I can have and extra RCA out to the WA2. Because the DI box has 2 XLR and 1 RCA input, I can now have one XLR input from my desktop DAC and the other XLR is for balanced LO from my DAPs while the RCA is used for single ended LO from my DAPs. So, I am happily experimenting and exploring my stuff now.

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #9,309 of 13,037

IMG_2439.jpeg
The Empyrean scales very well with better gear, which budget do you aim for, for the new DAC and amp?

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #9,310 of 13,037

This is Woo Audio WA2. I’ve had this almost 7-8 years now. I had it gathering dust because I didn’t have enough DAC outlets but recently picked up a DI box so that I can have and extra RCA out to the WA2. Because the DI box has 2 XLR and 1 RCA input, I can now have one XLR input from my desktop DAC and the other XLR is for balanced LO from my DAPs while the RCA is used for single ended LO from my DAPs. So, I am happily experimenting and exploring my stuff now.
Have You tried it with Meze yet? This is an OTL and Woo says it is designed for 100+ oms headphones, where Empys are 32. I tried my Meze with La Figaro 339 (also OTL) and while it is an awesome amp Meze can sound better.
Btw i love the look of Woo amps:) i used to have wa22 and wa6se.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #9,311 of 13,037
The Empyrean scales very well with better gear, which budget do you aim for, for the new DAC and amp?
Budget yet to be decided. The DCS Bartok would be end-game ideal. Incorporates network streamer/MQA/Roon ; DAC and Amp in one box. Just so expensive ; and so big.

I was content with the Moon 430HAD but am looking for something with a smaller footprint. And perhaps not quite so warm. And I would likely have to buy a Mind2 or appropriate network streamer to connect to it. But ideally, a DAC/AMP that is more transportable with balanced outputs that are compatible with my existing cables (4 pin XLR or 4.4mm preferred). $5000US budget perhaps? But less is more!

The next iteration of the Chord Hugo TT +/- a wireless module +/- balanced 4.4mm or 4 pin XLR is what I'm probably waiting for. The WA11 is providing an intermediate stepping stone for now and powers my existing headphones okay enough to be happy :)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #9,312 of 13,037
Budget yet to be decided. The DCS Bartok would be end-game ideal. Incorporates network streamer/MQA/Roon ; DAC and Amp in one box. Just so expensive ; and so big.

I was content with the Moon 430HAD but am looking for something with a smaller footprint. And perhaps not quite so warm. And I would likely have to buy a Mind2 or appropriate network streamer to connect to it. But ideally, a DAC/AMP that is more transportable with balanced outputs that are compatible with my existing cables (4 pin XLR or 4.4mm preferred). $5000US budget perhaps? But less is more!

The next iteration of the Chord Hugo TT +/- a wireless module is what I'm probably waiting for. The WA11 is providing an intermediate stepping stone for now and powers my existing headphones okay enough to be happy :)
Well if a Bartok is in the budget I vote for that (the thing with all in one boxes is, that you have to decide right at the start)

A cheaper DAC-Amp would be a T+A Ha200. However it is missing the streamer component.

After that I know only about single components.

Sure price doesn't equate to quality, but in general there is a correlation.
5k budget for DAC + Amp or 5k each?

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #9,313 of 13,037
Hi Guys
I recently sold my Stellias as I found them a little too bright and they were also very unforgiving with poor recordings. They sounded delightful with good recordings but that took a lot of joy out of listening for me.
Moved on to the Empyreans and wow they just sound lovely.
They make you feel the emotion in the music.
I am also using Matrix Element X as an all in one (for convenience with Roon) and although this does sound very nice I even find a dragonfly cobalt from my Android tablet exceptional with these. Absolutely lovely portable setup and very inexpensive.
So, they don't seem to need much to achieve a lovely listening experience.
Since I listen in another room in the house (primary source is Qobuz and Tidal via Roon) I am considering getting a second listening setup.
I am looking at maybe a Schiit Bifrost 2 and Jotenheim 2 in a balanced format.
I did upgrade to the Meze PCUHD Copper XLR cables as well.
I am curious if anyone else has tried this combination?
Alternatively I could switch to maybe a Second hand TT2 with the Jotenheim as well.
I would use a Pi as a Roon Endpoint.
For reference I enjoy a natural analogue sound while still retaining clarity and bass. Something these cans seem capable of.
I EQ these already based on Oratory EQ with just the bass elevated a bit.
Sound great.
Any Amp/DAC combo recommendations are welcome but this Shiit has me curious. May even throw in the Phono stage to the Jotenheim for a bit of Vinyl fun later down the line...
Schiit Jotenheim 2 and Bifrost 2 is an excellent choice!

Alex

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #9,314 of 13,037
I prefer the Alacantra. I find them more comfortable, wider and warmer sounding. The leather are nice too of course but I rarely use them now.

As I mentioned above I am wondering about the Schiit Bifrost 2 and Schiit Jotenheim 2 combination or may save up for a TT2.

Would be nice to hear some opinions.

Anyway, a nice track on these for bass is Recognizer, track 4 on the Tron Legacy Album - Daft Punk.

Try to listen to that without goosebumps.

Turn it up👍
I used to own the TT2 and absolutely loved it with the Empyrean. Chord DACs have a beautiful 3D space with great depth and also sound very lifelike. With MScaler it is even better. (That was out of budget for me.)
If you have the money, the sky is the limit with audio gear. (dCS Bartók and so on.)

My budget is relatively limited, I couldn't really afford more than one pair of TOTL headphones so instead of the TT2 these days I have the RME ADI2 and Soloist 3X. This combo is half the price of the TT2 but the enjoyment factor is not much behind. I would also consider the Qutest as a DAC only or the Bifrost 2/Jotunheim 2 as you said is another appealing combination. I used to own the Qutest too but I don't have much experience with Schiit gear so I can't comment on that but I am also interested in this specific Schiit stack.

For my budget I need to stay below £2K for DAC/amp but if money wasn't an issue I would still have my TT2 around.

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #9,315 of 13,037
TBH....the real discernible differences in these dacs is often very, very small when you level match and are brutally honest.
That said if you want to spend $5495 on a TT2 go for it...only your ears will decide if the "change" is really there or not...

IMO a Schiit Bifrost 2 and Jotenheim 2 for a lot less $$$ is really very, very good.

Good Luck!
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back