Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 9, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #4,216 of 13,037
My thoughts exactly, if the Empyrean doesn't become an option, then go for the LCD-4 and the neck workout that comes with it! :) its just my opinion so take it for what it is, but the LCD-4z seems to be over priced for what you get sound wise... there is a huge difference in sound between it and the LCD-4.
I disagree there is not a huge difference between the 4 and 4z. Audeze told me same driver element just different impedance. I have heard both and I believe most of the differences are due to the usual Audeze sample variance. Some have mentioned the 4 has more sparkle others have mentioned the 4z has more sparkle up top. It is well known that even among 4’s there is a large variance with some being better than others. The 4z I heard this weekend had sparkle up top, with it’s main weakness, for me, being the usual Audeze upper midrange dip. That dip was noticeable, more so than what I remember from the Empyrean.

Jul 9, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #4,217 of 13,037
I disagree there is not a huge difference between the 4 and 4z. Audeze told me same driver element just different impedance. I have heard both and I believe most of the differences are due to the usual Audeze sample variance. Some have mentioned the 4 has more sparkle others have mentioned the 4z has more sparkle up top. It is well known that even among 4’s there is a large variance with some being better than others. The 4z I heard this weekend had sparkle up top, with it’s main weakness, for me, being the usual Audeze upper midrange dip. That dip was noticeable, more so than what I remember from the Empyrean.

I absolutely agree. Getting an LCD4 that sounds good is like winning the lottery. It all depends which one you receive.

Jul 9, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #4,218 of 13,037

I would agree on it depends on the sample you are listening to. the LCD 4 i head sounded very good and the 4z i heard did not. I listened to them side by side through the same gear. It may have been the luck of a good 4 and a poor 4z? but there was a very noticeable sound difference between the two i heard.

Jul 9, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #4,219 of 13,037
I would agree on it depends on the sample you are listening to. the LCD 4 i head sounded very good and the 4z i heard did not. I listened to them side by side through the same gear. It may have been the luck of a good 4 and a poor 4z? but there was a very noticeable sound difference between the two i heard.
I really think it varies on the sample. I have just not heard a consistent preference one way or the other. Also what would you classify as the 4 sounding much better than the 4z......more highs, less highs?

Even though the sound signature on both the Empyrean and 4z are close. I wouldn’t mind owning both. The bass on the 4/4z cannot be beaten, and the smooth tonal balance on the Empy’s is one of the best.

Jul 9, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #4,220 of 13,037
Hey all, non Empy owner here.
I've just been reading through some of the E2 vs Empy posts in the early 200 pages. Now that people have had more time with these, I'm wondering what you think of them comparatively.

Aside from what I have in my signature, I intend on picking up a Liquid Platinum and R2R dac eventually.
Been eyeing the Arya for awhile, would love a 1266, but the Empyrean and Ether 2 are highest on my list due to cost and reviews.
Also, my Ether Flow 1.1 is my favorite set I've heard so far.

Thanks for any info. :)

Jul 9, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #4,221 of 13,037
I've just been reading through some of the E2 vs Empy posts in the early 200 pages. Now that people have had more time with these, I'm wondering what you think of them comparatively.

Aside from what I have in my signature, I intend on picking up a Liquid Platinum and R2R dac eventually.
Been eyeing the Arya for awhile, would love a 1266, but the Empyrean and Ether 2 are highest on my list due to cost and reviews.

I’ve owned and still do have the ether flow open 1.1. To me the Empyrean is in a different class. It is superior in sound quality. I also owned the ether flow open 2 and sent them back after the 15 day trial. I didn’t like them as much as the 1.1

As an aside, I also have an R2R DAC that I’m using.

Jul 9, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #4,222 of 13,037
I’ve owned and still do have the ether flow open 1.1. To me the Empyrean is in a different class. It is superior in sound quality. I also owned the ether flow open 2 and sent them back after the 15 day trial. I didn’t like them as much as the 1.1

Thanks for sharing! Just reading the overall impressions of the Empyrean seems to suggest they are right up my alley.

Could you specify a bit on what you didn't like about the Ether 2 compared to the 1.1?
I'm considering selling some HP's to fund the Empy, with the Flow being my favorite but also highest value I may be best keeping it hey?

Jul 9, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #4,223 of 13,037
I really think it varies on the sample. I have just not heard a consistent preference one way or the other. Also what would you classify as the 4 sounding much better than the 4z......more highs, less highs?

Even though the sound signature on both the Empyrean and 4z are close. I wouldn’t mind owning both. The bass on the 4/4z cannot be beaten, and the smooth tonal balance on the Empy’s is one of the best.

LCD4- there was an overall clarity that seemed to be missing with the 4z, it seemed as though it had better micro resolution, the bass seemed to be noticeably better than the 4z, treble between the two was about the same. sound stage etc all seemed equal between the two.

Jul 9, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #4,224 of 13,037

Empy, E2, EFO 1.1 here. You've probably already seen my opinions on Empy vs E2.

For me, Empy vs E2 can be summarized as 'lush' vs. 'lean'. E2 feels really linear to me, while Empy has some 'fun' mid-bass/lower mids thickness. Empy headstage is more immersive and surrounding, which E2 stage is arier, with more depth, moving the stage 'out there' just a bit.

To me, E2 aren't that close to EFO (except EFO w/ e-stat pads, although that's definitely a brighter presentation than E2).

Jul 9, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #4,225 of 13,037
Thanks for sharing! Just reading the overall impressions of the Empyrean seems to suggest they are right up my alley.

Could you specify a bit on what you didn't like about the Ether 2 compared to the 1.1?
I'm considering selling some HP's to fund the Empy, with the Flow being my favorite but also highest value I may be best keeping it hey?

I thought the sound was to delicate sounding. Also all of the reviews said how great the bass was, but I didn’t hear it.

Jul 9, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #4,226 of 13,037
I thought the sound was to delicate sounding. Also all of the reviews said how great the bass was, but I didn’t hear it.
Your delicate, my 'lean' -- probably similar impressions of E2 being expressed with different words. I certainly wouldn't say that 'delicate' was an inaccurate adjective to use.

As for E2 bass -- I hear it, but it's quite controlled and seems linear to me. Definitely not a basshead sound. I'd actually call it close to Utopia bass, but boosted 1 or 2 dB, maybe 3.

Jul 9, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #4,227 of 13,037

EFO 1.1 and Empy would probably be one of the best headphone combos in a "high budget" setup.

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #4,228 of 13,037
If you are located in US, maybe plussound is a convenient choice, their mXLR plug is priced at U$10 each, quite reasonabe when compared with other aftermarket cable brands.

http://plussoundaudio.com/diy/connectors.html

134112_e76da4e419f5590d94f6089ca0c547a9_orig.jpg

I think you quoted the wrong person as I am in the UK and have already had my cable re-terminated several months ago. Good recommendation though.

Any cheaky updates on the new pads?

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #4,229 of 13,037
Sure I did. Trevor sent me the S3 Silvergarde. Had it for a few weeks. I was never a silver fan, and after using that I’m still not a silver fan. Not enough weight for one. The Lazuli Reference is in another league.
I know when I order a cable from Trevor I discuss with him what my goals are. As in what I want the headphone to improve upon. And he fine tuned a cable for me specifically. So even an sg3 cable can be tuned widely for sound. I have sent cables back to him to change and they come back looking the same however sounding different. As strand count is part of the tuning. Maybe talk to him and discuss what you want.

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #4,230 of 13,037
Quite a few Lavricables owners here - the one thing that has me hesitant is the reports that these cables are VERY stiff... can anyone owning the Master or Grand line cables comment on whether this is a noticeable issue? Reason I am asking is that they are close to where I live and the prices seem pretty reasonable.
I had a lavricable and found them stiff! They are solid core! Of course! But they are pretty too. But every cable may be a recipe for desired sound. It’s hard to say. Just try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back