Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 27, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #2,926 of 12,974
the empyrean is a combination of the utopia and lcd-4z as i have mentioned before...not quite the bass of the 4z but close...a bit more of an airy sound....a similar soundstage to the 4z and a bit less detailed than the utopia but again close....all in all a very nice listen and i am a big fan....that said the abyss in a class of its own

then, you are selling them...

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #2,927 of 12,974
yes sadly my wallet doesnt allow me to keep them..i meant every word , there are several great HP's out there and i cant own them all as much as I would like to !

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #2,928 of 12,974
Second day with the Empyrean and I think I have settled on the alcantara pads. The leather have too much of a mid bass bump and while fun for a little bit, they became fatiguing for me real quick. With the alcantara pads, the sound is more neutral and the soundstage is noticeably more open as well, which I prefer. I'll hold off on comparisons with the Ether 2, which I've been using for the past few weeks, until these have about 100 hours on them.

Feb 28, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #2,929 of 12,974
Second day with the Empyrean and I think I have settled on the alcantara pads. The leather have too much of a mid bass bump and while fun for a little bit, they became fatiguing for me real quick. With the alcantara pads, the sound is more neutral and the soundstage is noticeably more open as well, which I prefer. I'll hold off on comparisons with the Ether 2, which I've been using for the past few weeks, until these have about 100 hours on them.

I totally agree. You noticed this too. The Alcantara pads are definitely more neutral. And to many the leather pads are fun and punchy yet I found the Alcantara to be a more accurate presentation.

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #2,930 of 12,974
The Empyrean arrived today and joined the club! Extraordinary imaging and positional accuracy. I can finally perceive instruments clearly at different heights, before the Empyrean they were mostly horizontally aligned. I confess it didn't impress me right off the bat, as the Utopia did, but it's growing on me.

IMG_20190228_125928.jpg

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #2,932 of 12,974
The Empyrean arrived today and joined the club! Extraordinary imaging and positional accuracy. I can finally perceive instruments clearly at different heights, before the Empyrean they were mostly horizontally aligned. I confess it didn't impress me right off the bat, as the Utopia did, but it's growing on me.

Come on @Sennheiser are you gonna let these 3 guys take all the spotlight or are you gonna join in with a HD900 or a baby HE1.

Very nice picture by the way @paulomario77

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #2,935 of 12,974
Empyrean in the house--with leather pads, driven by the WA22. Neither one is fully burned in, but the sound is silly/good. Midrange is the best I've ever heard.

That may change: haven't yet heard any of the other headphones on the Woo. But it's easy to tell this HP & amp are made for each other.

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #2,936 of 12,974
Empyrean in the house--with leather pads, driven by the WA22. Neither one is fully burned in, but the sound is silly/good. Midrange is the best I've ever heard.

That may change: haven't yet heard any of the other headphones on the Woo. But it's easy to tell this HP & amp are made for each other.
Wa22 first or second gen? I heard empyrean on a gen 1 wa22 and was very surprised as well

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #2,937 of 12,974
Hi Cleg,

How is the synergy with the LPGT? Do you need to use high gain to drive them properly? The sound should be fuller with the LPGT then SP1000, because of the extra power right?
Thanks.

Well, maybe it’s a bit unusual, but most of all I liked Empyrean with Cayin’s N8. I even thought about getting it for Empyrean, but my piggybank was already broken to buy Empy itself.
But LPGT and SP1000 (balanced out) are of course great too. I didn’t find Empyrean being power-hungry, even SP1000 is enough, they require high-end source mainly because of detalisation and other “technical” capabilities. Of course, they won’t be driven properly by smartphone or some weak DAP, but at the same time they don’t require thousands of milliwatts to be driven properly.
That’s one of the reasons I actually like them )))

Now I need to wait for a custom cable for them )))

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #2,940 of 12,974
Well, maybe it’s a bit unusual, but most of all I liked Empyrean with Cayin’s N8. I even thought about getting it for Empyrean, but my piggybank was already broken to buy Empy itself.
But LPGT and SP1000 (balanced out) are of course great too. I didn’t find Empyrean being power-hungry, even SP1000 is enough, they require high-end source mainly because of detalisation and other “technical” capabilities. Of course, they won’t be driven properly by smartphone or some weak DAP, but at the same time they don’t require thousands of milliwatts to be driven properly.
That’s one of the reasons I actually like them )))

Now I need to wait for a custom cable for them )))
At this stage in am only interested in how it sounds with the LPGT. Switching between balanced and single end did it make a big difference, and what gain did you use, if you tried it at all with LPGT.
Really hoping they will implement at least digital output at least if not streaming in the future.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back