Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 2, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #2,956 of 12,975
Thank you for the detailed comparison. I have an Ether2 here as well and I'm not quite hearing it the same.... not as impressed as you are with Ether2 low end. Or maybe I should say - it's fine, but I feel Empyrean is superior. Might just be my amps though. Despite it being relatively easy to extract great sound from Empyrean, the bass gets a significant jump in quality with high-end amplification.

You are spot on about Ether2 mids though, they are the star of that show. I almost want to keep them just for that aspect alone. But I too struggle with comfort though so I doubt I'll keep them.

The Empyrean rosed too quickly around 3-4k to generate treble sparkle while vocals are being pushed back behind, so I felt its midrange was not as much clean as the Ether 2.
But I also had a comfort issue with the Ether 2, though I know that Dan is working now to fix that issue. It is just shame that the 290g headphone is not that comfortable to some people.
Did you ever have a chance to hear the HE1000se? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #2,958 of 12,975
The Empyrean rosed too quickly around 3-4k to generate treble sparkle while vocals are being pushed back behind, so I felt its midrange was not as much clean as the Ether 2.
But I also had a comfort issue with the Ether 2, though I know that Dan is working now to fix that issue. It is just shame that the 290g headphone is not that comfortable to some people.
Did you ever have a chance to hear the HE1000se? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

I've heard the HE1Kse and I liked it but didn't love it. For me it falls short of the Susvara (as it should, for the price) as well as my original HE1000v1 (which is the best one out of several HEKv1 sets I tried, there's a lot of variation out there). I do like HEKse better than any of the HE1000v2 sets I've heard, so that's an accomplishment of sorts.

Still, I like Empyrean better than all of them with the possible exception of Susvara.... and even that is on the fence for me. Need to do more listening.

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #2,959 of 12,975
I've heard the HE1Kse and I liked it but didn't love it. For me it falls short of the Susvara (as it should, for the price) as well as my original HE1000v1 (which is the best one out of several HEKv1 sets I tried, there's a lot of variation out there). I do like HEKse better than any of the HE1000v2 sets I've heard, so that's an accomplishment of sorts.

Still, I like Empyrean better than all of them with the possible exception of Susvara.... and even that is on the fence for me. Need to do more listening.

I see that appeal. But I guess, as always, different strokes for different folks apply here. The midrange in the Empyrean didn't sound as much linear as lcd4z and ether 2, when I did A/B tests at a local audio shop. As ra990 mentioned, the Empyrean was more U-shaped than the others to my ears. I only heard them with the velour pads though.

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #2,960 of 12,975
Definitely different strokes. If you found Empyrean to be U shaped with the velour pads, I don't believe the leather option would help at all.... in fact you'd probably find it worse due to the increased spotlight on the low end.

LCD-4Z is the one Audeze (well, besides the Mobius and some of their IEMs) I have not yet tried. I intend to do so when I get a chance. But the regular LCD-4 does not thrill me nearly as much as Empyrean so we'll see how the Z fares.

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #2,961 of 12,975
Definitely different strokes. If you found Empyrean to be U shaped with the velour pads, I don't believe the leather option would help at all.... in fact you'd probably find it worse due to the increased spotlight on the low end.

LCD-4Z is the one Audeze (well, besides the Mobius and some of their IEMs) I have not yet tried. I intend to do so when I get a chance. But the regular LCD-4 does not thrill me nearly as much as Empyrean so we'll see how the Z fares.

If the Ether 2 does not thrill you as much, I think the same would apply to the LCD4z. I found that the ether 2 and the lcd4z are more sonically similar than different each other, though lcd4z has more bass in terms of quantity down there. The empyrean had quite different sonic signature from the other two.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #2,963 of 12,975
If the Ether 2 does not thrill you as much, I think the same would apply to the LCD4z. I found that the ether 2 and the lcd4z are more sonically similar than different each other, though lcd4z has more bass in terms of quantity down there. The empyrean had quite different sonic signature from the other two.

Thanks for that info, I appreciate it!

A quick heads-up :)

We had our Romanian audiophile meeting today, and we tested Empyrean with QLS QA361, and OH MAN, this DAP is able to drive them well!! :)

Ah, QLS, superb sounding DAPs with their terribly simplistic user interfaces. I can imagine how that would make a great combo.

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #2,964 of 12,975
Thanks for that info, I appreciate it!

Ah, QLS, superb sounding DAPs with their terribly simplistic user interfaces. I can imagine how that would make a great combo.

Yes, there is almost no UI, just folder browsing and a settings screen :)

But the sound of the QLS is simply worth it. After all, I'm not doing much else with a DAP usually. Only using it for music while on-the-go. If I'm at home, I have Mytek Brookyln DAC+, which is more fit for a desktop unit, but the QLS as a portable is simply outstanding :)

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #2,965 of 12,975
I have a question not directly related to Meze Empyrean but with planar drivers.
I never owned any Planar drivers previously.
I always had Sennhesier or Sony with me. As dynamic drivers i know that Output impedance of amplifiers has impact on the Damping factor etc. Also the impedance of dynamic drivers vary with frequency range.
Does the output impedance of Amp have similar impact on Planar drivers. Do i need to worry about 1:8 rule for Planars as well like that of dynamic.
I am asking this since I have HD 800s and 600 and I plan to own good Tube amp in future which may have higher impedance. So can i use Meze with those tube amp or it will be total mismatch.
currently i have Liquid Platinum which is hybrid and hence no issue with impedance and same with Chord Mojo. But i also have Schiit Valhalla 2, which has output impedance around 10 in high gain.
sorry I don't know how Planar Magnetic drivers work

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #2,966 of 12,975
Well the V281 does an excellent job with it. I've mainly used balanced mode but I did try the 1/4" jack once just to see, and the result was still quite good. Not as dynamic or punchy as balanced, but definitely enjoyable nonetheless.

I can't say for sure how V200 would be - probably not too different than V281 single ended mode. Is it the best you can get out of an Empyrean? Nope. Is it still really, really good? Absolutely.
Thank you.
By the way, I also want to thank you for all that reviews, you have made. I`ve read a lot of them, very interesting and useful reading.

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #2,967 of 12,975
Thank you.
By the way, I also want to thank you for all that reviews, you have made. I`ve read a lot of them, very interesting and useful reading.
+1

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #2,968 of 12,975
I have a question not directly related to Meze Empyrean but with planar drivers.
I always had Sennhesier or Sony with me. As dynamic drivers i know that Output impedance of amplifiers has impact on the Damping factor etc. Also the impedance of dynamic drivers vary with frequency range.
Does the output impedance of Amp have similar impact on Planar drivers. Do i need to worry about 1:8 rule for Planars as well like that of dynamic.
I am asking this since I have HD 800s and 600 and I plan to own good Tube amp in future which may have higher impedance. So can i use Meze with those tube amp or it will be total mismatch.
currently i have Liquid Platinum which is hybrid and hence no issue with impedance and same with Chord Mojo. But i also have Schiit Valhalla 2, which has output impedance around 10 in high gain.

Glenn,who is the maker of the GOTL suggests a pair of 6336s for planar headphones out of his OTL.
I have tried the Empyrean thru my GOTL and it sounds pretty good,and although I do own some Chatham 6336s I havent rolled them in yet...still sounds very good with a pair of RCA6080s.

Typically planars are less sensitive to impedance mismatch vs. dynamics,however the Empyrean sounds a bit rough in the lower regions thru my vintage receivers,which is a bit odd as what usually sounds good thru my GOTL likewise sounds good via my receivers. The Empyrean is the first to not meet this norm.
When I used to own a PF LCD-2,HE-500 and HE-6 they all sounded stellar thru my vintage receivers,which were designed to drive 600 ohm and above dynamic headphones,as that was pretty much the norm back then.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #2,969 of 12,975

Palanars usually love a lot of current

HD800 and HD600 are high-impedance dynamics that love high voltage

OTLs are usually high voltage and will be able to drive HD600 and HD800 well, but will not sound very good with Planars.

Your Mojo is able to drive Empy fairly well. If you need a high-end solution for Empy, but also for HD800 and HD600, I'd recommend Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ if you want something high-end. If you just need a tube AMP, Feliks Audio has a good selection of them.

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #2,970 of 12,975
Hugo 2 is better than the mytek brooklyn IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back