Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 2, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,531 of 13,028
Treble seems fine after burn-in periods. I have no issue with its soundstage as it is very open sounding. (But I don't have HD800 now as reference, so I am not the best person to make judgement about that) Everything is fine, except its clamping force and slight laid-back presentation.
Honestly, I haven't made my mind yet whether I return it or work with some tubes/eq/mods. I found myself a bit more picky spending over 2k on a headphone. If there is something better overall, I will migrate. So I am exploring Empyrean to see whether it qualifies for its 3k price tag.
I will never know unless I compare them side by side. You can try Ether 2 risk-free without paying a restocking fee if you order it from headphones.com. Where did you order Empyrean from?

I’ve ordered from a dealer here in the United States, but it hasn’t been released stateside yet. It seems that it will be available here in mid December. The frequency response that Jude posted, where it is superimposed with the 800 and 800S, shows it to have extremely linear bass from 20hz all the way to 1K. It doesn’t show a mid bass hump at all, so I don’t understand where everyone keeps calling them very dark and bass heavy. The bass measurements would have you believe that the bass would be similar to the LCD X and I love the bass on the X. I wouldn’t call it bloated at all. The X bass is tight and punchy but not wooly like the HEK.

Dec 2, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #1,532 of 13,028
I’ve ordered from a dealer here in the United States, but it hasn’t been released stateside yet. It seems that it will be available here in mid December. The frequency response that Jude posted, where it is superimposed with the 800 and 800S, shows it to have extremely linear bass from 20hz all the way to 1K. It doesn’t show a mid bass hump at all, so I don’t understand where everyone keeps calling them very dark and bass heavy. The bass measurements would have you believe that the bass would be similar to the LCD X and I love the bass on the X. I wouldn’t call it bloated at all. The X bass is tight and punchy but not wooly like the HEK.

From my experience, difference about 2-3db in the midrange (or presence region) results in quite different listening experiences. From Jude's measurements, I see that Empyrean is slightly tilted toward lower frequencies compared to hd800s. (2db more around 0.1k and 2db less around 2k). And hd800s already has darker midrange compare to hd600/650. I guess that is why some people think Empyrean is dark.
Hope I can try Empyrean as well in the near future.

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #1,533 of 13,028
I have listened to them all day. My initial impression was a dark, rich sound, with solid bass. This remained throughout the day and across all music. Overall quite pleasant and non-fatiguing. Really an excellent set of headphones. But overall I preferred the Abyss.

Empyrean sounds like how i like my coffee, dark, rich and complex.

Dec 2, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #1,534 of 13,028
Dec 3, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #1,539 of 13,028
This is purely my opinion, I'm not interested in graphs I'll let my ears be the judge, Jude prefers the Empyrean to the Utopia so that's all I need
Paul, when you are around London , PM we can go and drink a coffee and visit my local audio store.
Will be nice to meet you, I like your enthusiasm about audio.You will be really surprised by Empyrean, when you will be getting them.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #1,540 of 13,028
Paul, when you are around London , PM we can go and drink a coffee and visit my local audio store.
Will be nice to meet you, I like your enthusiasm about audio.You will be really surprised by Empyrean, when you will be getting them.
Cheers mate I really appreciate that message, be nice to meet up, nice to meet ppl with similar interests.Black hugo TT 2 and M scaler due this week but not sure on the Meze audio Empyrean mate

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #1,542 of 13,028
Empyrean needs a bright sounding Source/Dac/Amp......do not pair it with an Tubeamp....i know also the Ab1266 as s owner in the past....but the times are changing..
Wearing comfort with Empyrean is much above Ab1266 and it's very easy to drive....you save a lot of money...this are also main reasons for
the huge success of the Focal Cans.....and i have no concerns that Meze will have also with the Empyrean

NOMAX

Very nicely put.
Fits almost in a tweet.

It could be of some added value for many here to contrast and compare it to the Chanel Number Five - pardon -
the Focal Utopia.

Is Empyrean more on the lean back/cosy side of the equation and hence the Utopia the one for critical listening?
And finally, what happens to the SR009s?

Question upon question ...

:)

Dec 3, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #1,543 of 13,028
Well, after some listening I decided to pull the trigger. I will return the demo unit in exchange for a brand new one. I use leather pads as I much prefer the sound with them: My test was with the HP output of the Marantz NA11-S1 and today with the SE output of my DX200 (AMP1) with an adaptor from 6.3 into 3.5. And in all cases the musicality of the Empyreans made me listen and listen while enjoying the music. I can't imagine what it could be once it get the balanced cable I ordered from Norne Audio to connect it to AMP4 (which is the most musical AMP of all in the DX200).
It's expensive? Perhaps, but it is sooo good it's almost addictive. This is what I always thought a TOTL headphone should be like
How it sounds? With Leather pads, excellent bass (but I am not a basshead) not bleeding into the mids. Detailed mids, clear highs but not too bright. You can hear and distinguish the layers and components of the music, but at the same time you feel like immersed on it. Don't think the Soundstage is small at all, but most of the music I hear, Jazz, Rock, hasn't got big soundstage. I will listen later to Mahler 3rd (SFO, Michael Tilson Thomas) in DSD128 to check it.
Oh, and BTW, they are crafted like a jewel.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #1,544 of 13,028
Well, after some listening I decided to pull the trigger. I will return the demo unit in exchange for a brand new one. I use leather pads as I much prefer the sound with them: My test was with the HP output of the Marantz NA11-S1 and today with the SE output of my DX200 (AMP1) with an adaptor from 6.3 into 3.5. And in all cases the musicality of the Empyreans made me listen and listen while enjoying the music. I can't imagine what it could be once it get the balanced cable I ordered from Norne Audio to connect it to AMP4 (which is the most musical AMP of all in the DX200).
It's expensive? Perhaps, but it is sooo good it's almost addictive. This is what I always thought a TOTL headphone should be like
How it sounds? With Leather pads, excellent bass (but I am not a basshead) not bleeding into the mids. Detailed mids, clear highs but not too bright. You can hear and distinguish the layers and components of the music, but at the same time you feel like immersed on it. Don't think the Soundstage is small at all, but most of the music I hear, Jazz, Rock, hasn't got big soundstage. I will listen later to Mahler 3rd (SFO, Michael Tilson Thomas) in DSD128 to check
So why the leather pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back