Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 2, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #1,501 of 12,994
Empyrean needs a bright sounding Source/Dac/Amp......do not pair it with an Tubeamp....i know also the Ab1266 as s owner in the past....but the times are changing..
Wearing comfort with Empyrean is much above Ab1266 and it's very easy to drive....you save a lot of money...this are also main reasons for
the huge success of the Focal Cans.....and i have no concerns that Meze will have also with the Empyrean

NOMAX

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #1,503 of 12,994
Oh NO !!! I've got the hugo TT 2 couldn't afford a Dave, hopefully M scaler will help

Do not test the DAVE, then I am sure that you will also like the Empyrean on HMS + TT 2, but it is a darker and a bit less refined sound signature.

I normally do not listen to this kind of music, but Lady Gaga is really enjoyful with Empyrean, too bright with Focal Utopia, imo. Utopia is great, but there is music, where the Empyrean is much more fun. And it is technically good enough for not missing Utopia's brilliance and resolution now.

Dec 2, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #1,504 of 12,994
Do not test the DAVE, then I am sure that you will also like the Empyrean on HMS + TT 2, but it is a darker and a bit less refined sound signature.

I normally do not listen to this kind of music, but Lady Gaga is really enjoyful with Empyrean, too bright with Focal Utopia, imo. Utopia is great, but there is music, where the Empyrean is much more fun. And it is technically good enough for not missing Utopia's brilliance and resolution now.
Thanks for your reply mate, I hated the focal utopia when I owned them, never got it but thanks for the comparisons.Too bright and no bass, it was like sitting with my ear resting against the grande utopia tweeter

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #1,505 of 12,994
  • The above add up to less presence, noticeable on e.g. vocals, saxophone

Thank you for your impressions. But this caught my eyes. I mentioned earlier in my post (below) that Empyrean might have laid-back presence region as Jude's measurements imply. Do you think the amount of presence is less than HD800 or on par with it?

Also, this author mentioned that 'I also heard a dip at around 3kHz that made the spike (4k) so much more annoying and made the midrange sound distant,' which seems consistent with Jude's measurements.
https://www.headphone.com/blogs/news/canjam-at-rmaf-2018-impressions

I am interested in this headphone. I already well know that there is no perfect headphone in the world yet. So I am evaluating Jude's measurement to imagine its sound.

My main question is that how much vocals sound recessed on this headphone. From Jude's measurement which compares Empyrean with HD800S, Empyrean looks like it has laid-back presence region around 0.8k-3k. I wouldn't even say that HD800S has ideal midrange FR responses as its vocals sound recessed. HD800S drops about 8-9db from 0.8k to 3k (See this), while HD600S drops about only 2-3 db (this). Also, Empyrean has a bit more rough measurements than HD800S.
And on paper, Empyrean is even 1-3 db lower than HD800S between 0.8k-3k.

On paper, Empyrean still a bit short of my expectation as midrange is more important to me than bass. But I am unsure whether Empyrean will actually sound like Jude's measurement.
I would appreciate any balanced review on this headphone.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,506 of 12,994
I couldn't stand it any longer and pulled the trigger on the balanced 4-pin XLR cable on their site. I'm curious to see how it compares with the balanced cables I have.:L3000:
Plus I like the color codes and Meze brand on the headphone plugs...:grin:

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

I have to add that I also use the Empyrean with the balanced 4-pin XLR braided upgrade cable from Meze, but have to use a Forza Noir extender (XLR to 6.3mm jack) at the moment for being directly fed from Chord DAVE. Using a different adapter cable might not be perfect, but nevertheless the sound is less dark and more refined than with the standard cable. So I can recommend the braided upgrade cables.

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #1,507 of 12,994
@Mikey99 Thanks for trying direct. I assume just the Empyrean was direct and being compared to Abyss with amp?

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #1,508 of 12,994
@Mikey99 Thanks for trying direct. I assume just the Empyrean was direct and being compared to Abyss with amp?
Yes, that is correct. I have not yet noticed much difference in the sound of the Empyrean direct from Dave or through the amp.

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,509 of 12,994
I have to add that I also use the Empyrean with the balanced 4-pin XLR braided upgrade cable from Meze, but have to use a Forza Noir extender (XLR to 6.3mm jack) at the moment for being directly fed from Chord DAVE. Using a different adapter cable might not be perfect, but nevertheless the sound is less dark and more refined than with the standard cable. So I can recommend the braided upgrade cables.
Which set of pads did you use? I found the Alcantara ones darkert than the leather, which I prefer

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #1,510 of 12,994
Which set of pads did you use? I found the Alcantara ones darkert than the leather, which I prefer

I agree, Alcantara sounds darker. However, I prefer the leather pads for a bit better defined bass and better mids imo, as well as a more neutral tonality. But it is a matter of preference.

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,511 of 12,994
Thank you for your impressions. But this caught my eyes. I mentioned earlier in my post (below) that Empyrean might have laid-back presence region as Jude's measurements imply. Do you think the amount of presence is less than HD800 or on par with it?

Also, this author mentioned that 'I also heard a dip at around 3kHz that made the spike (4k) so much more annoying and made the midrange sound distant,' which seems consistent with Jude's measurements.
https://www.headphone.com/blogs/news/canjam-at-rmaf-2018-impressions
Interesting. I just tried a few tracks, listening to Walk on the Wild Side at the moment. I did indeed hear less presence for vocals and saxophone compared to the HD800. The saxophone lacked a certain sweetness with the Empyrean in comparison to the HD800.

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #1,512 of 12,994
I used the leather pads. The Alcantara pads were not in the case, they must be back at the dealer.

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #1,513 of 12,994
I used the leather pads. The Alcantara pads were not in the case, they must be back at the dealer.
Jesus, I hate the hd800 with a passion, lcd 2 destroyed it with what I heard, then I listened to the lcd x and I love that headphone, LCD 3 was a total disappointment, now when you say the Empyrean is dark sounding worries me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back