1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MezeTeam, Feb 9, 2018.
First

Back
90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99
101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110
Next

Last
  1. Beagle
    Soundstage is probably the least important criteria for me. Tonal balance, timbre, realism and dynamics would be of higher priority. The real soundstage is built into the stereo mix of the recording being used.

javertim and franz12 like this.
  2. spotforscott
    Any impressions vs the Abyss Phi?

3. STR-1
    Nice write-up, Bernie.

No guarantees but I am hopeful of getting a new pair of Empyreans on loan to run-in either this coming week or the week after. I have a good relationship with my dealer and they are very happy to let me try new gear, to run-in for them and to provide feedback. I’m currently trying a selection of very good power cables from a Swedish company called Jorma Design - might buy one or two of these.

xxx1313 likes this.
  4. Mikey99
    I currently have Empyreans on Demo, comparing Abyss AB1266 and HD800. The Empyreans are certainly comfortable and light, but you would be surprised at the comfort of the Abyss for extended wear. Heavier but excellent headband to distribute the weight and no clamping force. In terms of look they seem to me in the same league as the Abyss, just look at the last post.

I will report back once i have had a chance to compare.

spotforscott, Quadfather and JamieMcC like this.
  5. Quadfather
    Do tell, when able!

6. HK_sends
    I saw the post with the Empyreans being worn and thought the same thing...not that different from the Abyss (or a Cyberman:wink:).
    The truth is I did have a brief chance to try on the Abyss a few years ago but it was at a meet so I really didn't have enough time to appreciate the comfort or the sound... I do think it looks like a medieval torture device, but I seriously haven't ruled them out for a future purchase.:slight_smile:

Cheers!:beerchug:
    -HK sends

7. Mikey99
    I have compared the Empyrean and the Abyss AB1266 using a wide variety of music that I usually use for comparisons. Amongst others this includes: Master and Commander, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Lou Reed Walk on the Wild Side, various Joni Mitchell, Guess Who Follow your Daughter Home, Gotan Project Chunga's Revenge and La del Russo, Miles Davis Kind of Blue, Klaatu Little Neutrino, Interstellar, Inception, B52s, various Zappa. I used iMac / Roon> optical>Chord Hugo M-Scaler>Chord DAVE > XI Audio Formula S with Powerman. The Empyreans are very efficient in comparison to the Abyss and are easily driven direct from the Dave (unlike the Abyss). But to minimise variables I went from the Formula S for both for this comparison.

They are beautifully packaged, best I have seen for headphones. Funny thing, opening the case and taking them out I couldn't help thinking of a hitman assembling a gun. Build quality is amazing, I almost didn't want to handle them because they looked like a work of art. Nevertheless they are solid and can be handled without fear. Really well assembled and a lot of attention to detail. The cable however is poor: stiff, fiddly, a bit microphonic.

Wearing them they look a little odd (alien torture device), comparable to the Abyss (medieval torture device) in that respect. They are light and comfortable. Overall initial comfort is a bit better than the Abyss (which are heavier, but have no clamping force), and a bit less than the HD800 (which are lighter and have less clamping force). I have not worn them long enough to judge comfort for extended listening, it will come down to the clamping force (more) vs weight (less). Note this is comparative, in absolute terms these are amongst the most comfortable headphones I have worn.

I have listened to them all day. My initial impression was a dark, rich sound, with solid bass. This remained throughout the day and across all music. Overall quite pleasant and non-fatiguing. Really an excellent set of headphones. But overall I preferred the Abyss. Here are some of the main points of comparison:
    • Tonal balance is noticeably darker for the Empyreans. The Abyss actually sounded a bit thin at times compared to them
    • The amount of bass is excellent, with same kind of slam as the Abyss. Great slam without being excessive
    • The bass is however thicker and not as well defined as the Abyss
    • Transients are not quite as crisp throughout the frequency range, which I can readily hear on percussion
    • Detail is better for the Abyss
    • The Empyreans are more closed in, with less depth
    • Instruments are a bit less localised
    • The above add up to less presence, noticeable on e.g. vocals, saxophone
    I also quickly compared to the HD800, in this case the Empyrean was my preference.

It has been a while since I heard them, but perhaps they remind me of the LCD4. I will have to compare back in at my dealer's.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Antonio Meze, bidn, jinxy245 and 10 others like this.
  8. spotforscott
    I have listened to them all day. My initial impression was a dark, rich sound, with solid bass. This remained throughout the day and across all music. Overall quite pleasant and non-fatiguing. Really an excellent set of headphones. But overall I preferred the Abyss. Here are some of the main points of comparison:
    • Tonal balance is noticeably darker for the Empyreans. The Abyss actually sounded a bit thin at times compared to them
    • The amount of bass is excellent, with same kind of slam as the Abyss. Great slam without being excessive
    • The bass is however thicker and not as well defined as the Abyss
    • Transients are not quite as crisp throughout the frequency range, which I can readily hear on percussion
    • Detail is better for the Abyss
    • The Empyreans are more closed in, with less depth
    • Instruments are a bit less localised
    • The above add up to less presence, noticeable on e.g. vocals, saxophone
    [/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the excellent comparison. I have DAVE/ MSCALER combo with ABYS PHI with new pads and SC HP cable. I have no interest in ever putting an amp in front of the DAVE. I will always drive HP direct. So I am curious as to your thoughts on comparing the 2 headphones direct out of the DAVE. Would appreciate your thoughts on that comparison... thx!

Just to add to my context for the question: I much prefer the richer/ full bodied sound of JPS SC cable. I find the standard JPS cable far less engaging, particularly with vocals.

Mikey99 likes this.
  9. PeteSTRADAMUS
    Great! The Empyrean can hang with the bigdogs.

10. paul2qute
    Oh NO !!! I've got the hugo TT 2 couldn't afford a Dave, hopefully M scaler will help

11. Mikey99
    Thanks for the excellent comparison. I have DAVE/ MSCALER combo with ABYS PHI with new pads and SC HP cable. I have no interest in ever putting an amp in front of the DAVE. I will always drive HP direct. So I am curious as to your thoughts on comparing the 2 headphones direct out of the DAVE. Would appreciate your thoughts on that comparison... thx!

Just to add to my context for the question: I much prefer the richer/ full bodied sound of JPS SC cable. I find the standard JPS cable far less engaging, particularly with vocals.[/QUOTE]

My cables are balanced dual 3-pin XLR, and I don’t have the 1/4” adapter! That’s the real reason I didn’t compare direct out of the Dave, now everyone knowns. :deadhorse:

I am using the JPS SC cables and completely agree with your observations vs the stock cable. I was actually a cable skeptic and listened to them to humour my dealer. However the difference was obvious, not at all subtle. And I really put them through a thorough test. Their price is crazy, but I evidently concluded it was worth it.

12. fredfung28
    My cables are balanced dual 3-pin XLR, and I don’t have the 1/4” adapter! That’s the real reason I didn’t compare direct out of the Dave, now everyone knowns. :deadhorse:

I am using the JPS SC cables and completely agree with your observations vs the stock cable. I was actually a cable skeptic and listened to them to humour my dealer. However the difference was obvious, not at all subtle. And I really put them through a thorough test Their price is crazy, but I evidently concluded it was worth it.[/QUOTE]
    Nice to hear that! I am in Hong Kong and there is no home trial available. There are not much amp that could justify 1266 phi in hk headphone shops, even I bring it to the shop, not very comparable.
    I am using vertere headphone cable double run right now.

13. spotforscott
    [/QUOTE]

I am using the JPS SC cables and completely agree with your observations vs the stock cable. I was actually a cable skeptic and listened to them to humour my dealer. However the difference was obvious, not at all subtle. And I really put them through a thorough test Their price is crazy, but I evidently concluded it was worth it.[/QUOTE]

Ok, too bad. Have you always used an amp with the Abyss, never direct?

So even with the JPS SC cable, you found the Meze Empyrean tonally much darker? Hmmm... sounds like it may be too dark. So much less air? I wonder if out of the DAVE it would be a much better match than through your amp?

14. Mikey99

So even with the JPS SC cable, you found the Meze Empyrean tonally much darker? Hmmm... sounds like it may be too dark. So much less air? I wonder if out of the DAVE it would be a much better match than through your amp?[/QUOTE]
    I have heard them direct from Dave in the shop. The amp I am using was voiced for the Abyss, I find there is a good synergy. I will however get the adapter, I would lie to do a home comparison.

15. Mikey99

So even with the JPS SC cable, you found the Meze Empyrean tonally much darker? Hmmm... sounds like it may be too dark. So much less air? I wonder if out of the DAVE it would be a much better match than through your amp?[/QUOTE]

I just listened to the Empyrean direct form the Dave for a few tracks. The comparison is easier because I don't have to switch cables and can more easily match levels. The same impressions hold relative to the Abyss through the Formula S amp.

First

Back
90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99
101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110
Next

Last