Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 3, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #1,546 of 12,975
Dec 3, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,548 of 12,975
Well, after some listening I decided to pull the trigger. I will return the demo unit in exchange for a brand new one. I use leather pads as I much prefer the sound with them: My test was with the HP output of the Marantz NA11-S1 and today with the SE output of my DX200 (AMP1) with an adaptor from 6.3 into 3.5. And in all cases the musicality of the Empyreans made me listen and listen while enjoying the music. I can't imagine what it could be once it get the balanced cable I ordered from Norne Audio to connect it to AMP4 (which is the most musical AMP of all in the DX200).
It's expensive? Perhaps, but it is sooo good it's almost addictive. This is what I always thought a TOTL headphone should be like
How it sounds? With Leather pads, excellent bass (but I am not a basshead) not bleeding into the mids. Detailed mids, clear highs but not too bright. You can hear and distinguish the layers and components of the music, but at the same time you feel like immersed on it. Don't think the Soundstage is small at all, but most of the music I hear, Jazz, Rock, hasn't got big soundstage. I will listen later to Mahler 3rd (SFO, Michael Tilson Thomas) in DSD128 to check it.
Oh, and BTW, they are crafted like a jewel.

Been very tempted by the Marantz NA11-S1 on several occasions now, how are you getting on with it?

Dec 3, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #1,549 of 12,975
Been very tempted by the Marantz NA11-S1 on several occasions now, how are you getting on with it?
I have it connected to a NAS(Synology) that is running Minix Server + Bubble Upnp so I can access both my library and Qobuz (CD Quality) in my android phone. With this versatility I enjoy a huge library at the tip of my fingers.
The sound is full and very detailed. Audio conversion is excellent and with plenty of power to feed my BAT VK300x.
At this moment I do not feel I need anything more

Dec 3, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #1,550 of 12,975
Well, after some listening I decided to pull the trigger. I will return the demo unit in exchange for a brand new one. I use leather pads as I much prefer the sound with them: My test was with the HP output of the Marantz NA11-S1 and today with the SE output of my DX200 (AMP1) with an adaptor from 6.3 into 3.5. And in all cases the musicality of the Empyreans made me listen and listen while enjoying the music. I can't imagine what it could be once it get the balanced cable I ordered from Norne Audio to connect it to AMP4 (which is the most musical AMP of all in the DX200).
It's expensive? Perhaps, but it is sooo good it's almost addictive. This is what I always thought a TOTL headphone should be like
How it sounds? With Leather pads, excellent bass (but I am not a basshead) not bleeding into the mids. Detailed mids, clear highs but not too bright. You can hear and distinguish the layers and components of the music, but at the same time you feel like immersed on it. Don't think the Soundstage is small at all, but most of the music I hear, Jazz, Rock, hasn't got big soundstage. I will listen later to Mahler 3rd (SFO, Michael Tilson Thomas) in DSD128 to check it.
Oh, and BTW, they are crafted like a jewel.
Well, I have heard some Mahler (also 1st by Ivan Fischer at 24/192) and it has bigger soundstage than any of my previous Headphones. You hear the bass chords supporting the metals and in a different layer the flutes, everything together creating different music as they rose and dissapear. Compared with real life, the instruments are bit more closer together, but this is to be expected, these are headphones afer all.
I can confirm they are very comfortable

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #1,551 of 12,975
Well, I have heard some Mahler (also 1st by Ivan Fischer at 24/192) and it has bigger soundstage than any of my previous Headphones. You hear the bass chords supporting the metals and in a different layer the flutes, everything together creating different music as they rose and dissapear. Compared with real life, the instruments are bit more closer together, but this is to be expected, these are headphones afer all.
I can confirm they are very comfortable

Thanks for the impressions!!! Would you mind listing some of your other headphones so we can get a good idea about what soundstages you’re comparing the Empyrean to?

I know some don’t care about soundstage at all, but it’s important to me.

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #1,554 of 12,975
Thanks for the impressions!!! Would you mind listing some of your other headphones so we can get a good idea about what soundstages you’re comparing the Empyrean to?

I know some don’t care about soundstage at all, but it’s important to me.
It's all in my signature.
Discounting IEMs I currently own Aeon Flow Closed, Hifiman Edition X v2, Sennheiser HD600 and NAD Viso HP50
I know they are not Soundstage Kings like HD800/S though

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #1,555 of 12,975
Thank you for sharing your impressions. Much appreciated.

Just wondering if the Empyrean leaks a lot of sound (out the back) compared to the Utopia. Or is the leakage controlled, more like a semi-open phone?

During running in the Empyrean (I recommend minimum 4 days) I found that Empyrean was leaking quite a considerable amount of sound. If you use it on a train, your traveling companions will hear what you are listening even at normal volume...

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #1,556 of 12,975
Cheers mate I really appreciate that message, be nice to meet up, nice to meet ppl with similar interests.Black hugo TT 2 and M scaler due this week but not sure on the Meze audio Empyrean mate

I am sure you will love this combo....TT2+EMPYREAN

NOMAX

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #1,557 of 12,975
During running in the Empyrean (I recommend minimum 4 days) I found that Empyrean was leaking quite a considerable amount of sound. If you use it on a train, your traveling companions will here what you are listening even at normal volume...

Thanks! This is great to know. I was thinking of using them in the office, but it seems they might leak too much sound.

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #1,558 of 12,975
:smile_phones:....very nice this Combo

IMG_3153.JPG

NOMAX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back