Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 8, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #12,751 of 13,037
That's hard to predict.
Empyrean was really dividing in a way, listeners either loved it or hated it.

I think (but I don't have actual numbers) that the Elite signature was much easier accepted and more widely appreciated.

So if Empyrean II goes into that direction, but to a lesser degree, it might be a killer release or a total flop.
Either it Hits the sweetspot or there is no point in not going for the Elite directly

We'll see soon enough. As always I expect a banger. I love both, so if it Lands in between it might become my favourite yet
The question is if the Empy 2 is 'good enough' to hurt Elite sales. I expect them to be different enough, but only time will tell. Or is there an Elite 2 in the making too?

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #12,752 of 13,037
The question is if the Empy 2 is 'good enough' to hurt Elite sales. I expect them to be different enough, but only time will tell. Or is there an Elite 2 in the making too?
I'd more expect the usual question we see from people about "Should I spend more money to get the Elite?"

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #12,753 of 13,037
I would go to Vegas betting on every Empyrean 2 sold will be at the expense of the Elite.

I'm sure Meze thought about this as well. Maybe freshening up the the product line is just as important to them.

However this may or may not work out. Take a look at Violectric. The V281 was their "iconic" house sound amp. They discontinued it and then take out with a 300 series and a 500 series. Most Violectric fans are not happy. So now I see that they just re-issued the V281. Albeit it, a 100 unit run for now.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #12,754 of 13,037
I'd more expect the usual question we see from people about "Should I spend more money to get the Elite?"
Those questions will come for sure, but for some folks the answer wasn't straightforward already with the OG Empy/Elite. (For me the Elite is a clear improvement over the og Empy, but not everyone agrees with me.)

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #12,755 of 13,037
As a satisfied Elite owner, I still can’t help but be intrigued with this Empyrean II. I never actually heard the OG Empy, but the Elite seems to have the perfect balance of technical ability and musicality for my preferences, especially now with the Angled Alcantara pads.

I’ve never wanted more warmth or bass than I can get with the Hybrid pads on the Elite, so I haven’t ever really been tempted by the Empy. I’m wondering if the Empy II will be a departure in sound signature or just a small evolution of the OG Empy.

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #12,756 of 13,037
Those questions will come for sure, but for some folks the answer wasn't straightforward already with the OG Empy/Elite. (For me the Elite is a clear improvement over the og Empy, but not everyone agrees with me.)
That's never a relevant question because it can only be answered by the person listening. There never is a better. It is all personal preference.

Some people a more thicker not as transparent sound, and others might favor a more transparent and more "accurate" (for lack of a better word) sound.

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #12,757 of 13,037
However this may or may not work out. Take a look at Violectric. The V281 was their "iconic" house sound amp. They discontinued it and then take out with a 300 series and a 500 series. Most Violectric fans are not happy. So now I see that they just re-issued the V281. Albeit it, a 100 unit run for now.

I was thinking of this exact comparison too. Retiring an iconic model is a gamble but the market will have its say. I was able to sneak a peek at the Moon Audio review as it went private mid-video, but it sounded like the Empy II is a welcome upgrade.

Even though I really, really liked the Elite in the end the Empy was more up my alley. Super excited to hear the updated model.

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #12,759 of 13,037
Yes it will be very interesting to see how they have tuned this.

Potentially they still need that "mid bass bloat" to retain the musicality and fun that the Empy is famous for.

Adding detail and resolution may remove that fun factor at the expense of adding technicalities.

They did that with the Elite but left just enough of the Empy fun to make it a clear "upgrade" without sacrificing the Meze house sound too much.

I am certainly intrigued by it.

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #12,760 of 13,037
Nov 8, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #12,762 of 13,037
Nov 8, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #12,763 of 13,037
Nov 8, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #12,764 of 13,037
I’m assuming the new “Duo” pads are different from the Hybrid pads that come with the Elite. I wonder how the dimensions/materials differ.

Edit: Looks like they are the complete opposite to the Hybrid pads that come with the Elite in regards to material. The new Duo pads have leather inner walls and Alcantara on all the external surfaces whereas the Hybrid pads have Alcantara inner walls and leather externally. I’m still not sure about the dimensions of the Duo pads though they certainly look a lot thicker than the Hybrid pads.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #12,765 of 13,037
Super interested in the Empy II as an airier, more spacious and detailed complement to my Atticus and 6XX. My other consideration would be a VO. Since I'm close to Chicago I'm sure I'll eventually get to try out the VO once ZMF moves to their new location and starts holding listening events, but trying out the Empy II might be a little more difficult with CanJam Chicago seemingly not happening again. Meze is really the only high end headphone company I'm interested in other than ZMF, but I've never gotten to try any of their offerings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back