Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #12,766 of 13,037
Literally every reviewer I follow on YouTube just released a video on the Empy 2 in the past couple hours? Never seen that before.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #12,767 of 13,037
Literally every reviewer I follow on YouTube just released a video on the Empy 2 in the past couple hours? Never seen that before.
Pretty common. Send out pre release units for review, under embargo. Embargo ends, reviews go live. Thus, many all at once.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #12,768 of 13,037
It's typically how movies and video games are reviewed by press outlets to maximize mindshare before a public launch. Marketing 101.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #12,770 of 13,037
I've only seen Currawong's review so far but he shows a few graphs and it shows the new hybrid pads to actually have more bass than the original Empyrean but the adjustments in the upper regions indicates better detail.

That bass is important to give that warmer signature and easy Empyrean sound so maybe they still have that addictive easy going signature. They do however sound like they have made "almost" an elite. I already have the Elite but...

I am tempted to trade my Elites for them as I have missed the Empys once I sold them. The Elites are better in every way but the Empys always made me enjoy the music and forget about technicalities.

I will listen first if I can....interesting.

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #12,771 of 13,037
Nov 8, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #12,772 of 13,037
“Lighter”, “more neutral”, “less warmth” I’m sure it sounds great, but no thanks.
In TV terms, Meze. has jumped the shark.

I would imagine for at least the near future, no one is buying an Elite until Empyrean 2 owners can give real world impressions. It wouldn't logical to buy an Elite at this moment.

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #12,773 of 13,037
In TV terms, Meze. has jumped the shark.

I would imagine for at least the near future, no one is buying an Elite until Empyrean 2 owners can give real world impressions. It wouldn't logical to buy an Elite at this moment.
Yeah, it is of course very early days, but it seems odd to me that this new headphone costs the exact same price as the model it replaces, but is tuned rather differently, at least according to that HFN review. I wonder why Meze wouldn’t have kept the OG Empyrean around and call this new one something else..

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #12,774 of 13,037
Looking at the graph, the tuning is way better suited for my tastes than the og Empy and the Elite. I think that's a step up and Meze might just shot their foot with this, cause I can see a lot of people buying the Empy 2 over the Elites.
They got my interest for sure.

Nov 8, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #12,775 of 13,037
They are still quite on the "warm" side of things, but the bass is considerably better and doesn't muddy the sound so much. Imagine more detail from the original with the Alcantara pads.

Nov 8, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #12,776 of 13,037
They are still quite on the "warm" side of things, but the bass is considerably better and doesn't muddy the sound so much. Imagine more detail from the original with the Alcantara pads.
Do you mean the original Alcantara or the newer Angled Alcantara? I know there are lots of OG Empy owners that really like the change the new Angled pads makes.

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #12,777 of 13,037
Do you mean the original Alcantara or the newer Angled Alcantara? I know there are lots of OG Empy owners that really like the change the new Angled pads makes.
When Stephane and I were comparing the original with the new, the original had the older Alcantara pads on them. The new set had the Dual pads on them. The sound signature was fairly similar, but the bass was cleaner.

Nov 10, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #12,778 of 13,037
Dear friends here is an updated and detailed Meze Angled Alcantara pads review now including impressions with both the Elite and the Empyrean.
IMG_20231110_151737.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back